Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Fishing  (Read 11146 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano Fishing
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2006, 11:26:51 AM »

Um, the-weev, I think you need to go back and practice your identification...there arent chum on the cap.  That river has next to no viable spawning ground and the hatchery doesnt produce any chum so unless you were on a different river, your ident is way off.

Ribwart

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 12:24:57 PM »

Ummm...yup there are chum in the cap.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 01:10:34 PM »

I supposed that there could be some hding in there...all I can tell you is the hatchery doesnt stock them and in 15 years of fishing the cap, I have yet to see a single one (or hear of one from my circle of buddies)...I have seen a stray sockeye in the cap with my own 2 eyes but when a report of 4 chum on the cap is made, I have a lot of trouble accepting that?!?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 01:56:49 PM »

hack, hack, hack....sorry...just choking on a feather  ;)

interest... chum in the cap, well thats news to me! Not only am I surprised by that, but also by the fact that there were no springs around where weev was...I was out yestaerday and saw a ton of springs in the 3 runs I tried.. 

theweev

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2006, 02:28:45 PM »

hey gooey,
my id is well up to snuff. kind of hard to miss a purple and green tiger striped beast w/ the oh so attractive mouth full of fangs. the vis was 2 ft yesterday @ Ranger so you couldn't see much. there have been Chum in the Cap for as long as I can remember. I've lived on the shore my whole life. There are alot more than there  ever was, that's for sure. My guess is we're killing off all the other spieces  and Nature abhors a vacum. The Hatchery does not produce any, that is true. But the lower river is becoming more and more cloged w/ them. Good to hear you saw springs. I'll be out Sunday and Monday trying to get into a few. PM if you can and let me know where you saw them. I know the river pretty well as I've spent the last 3 years going up and down the entire lowerr section and up and down every little side trail from Cable to Ranger. by the way if you add a nice spicey cajun sauce, the crow goes down a little easier. ;) :D
BTW I was and still am a member @ BCFR , but since the site is no longer acessible I signed up here. Good to see quite a few friendly faces here. It being the hieght of salmon seasonm I couldn't go too long w/o word from the flow. Thanks for all the info to those who have posted on this site and glad to be here.
weev
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 06:06:11 PM by theweev »

phatwop

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2006, 02:32:18 PM »

I've hooked into over 20 chums this year on the Capilano up as high as just under the Suspension bridge. They are the easiest of the salmon species to identify in a river system so all these reports couldn't be wrong. There were very few going into Brothers Creek but tons gathered around Nude Rock and plenty in Doctor's Pool. There's quite a few people fishing the lower right now and most are into Chums with the odd coho being caught.

theweev

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2006, 02:59:34 PM »

There's quite a few people fishing the lower right now and most are into Chums with the odd coho being caught.
bingo

YY

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2006, 07:27:20 PM »

Is it true that last year there was no retention of Chum?

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2006, 07:51:29 PM »

Yup there be lots of chum in dat der river !!!!
I saw a few yesterday surfacing under the highway bridge , I fished for about half an hour and managed one nice looking spring before the darkness came

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Boozi

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2006, 09:09:04 PM »

Um, the-weev, I think you need to go back and practice your identification...there arent chum on the cap.  That river has next to no viable spawning ground and the hatchery doesnt produce any chum so unless you were on a different river, your ident is way off.

LOL. Dude I have seen chums in the cap all the time. The first time I went I saw chums swimmin up little side channels.....  ::)
Toss that Roe and get a Hoe

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2006, 09:12:19 PM »

LOL no chum in the cap, I nailed one last year as nice as the squamish chums, as well as bridboy did to, and ive seen tons in that river, not as much as in the ved, or chehalis, but they are there

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2006, 08:10:11 AM »

If i could find the coho in a foot of water on the vedder this year i would have caught one! I only got out 3 times and did well for the conditions presented! How did u do?

Moderator: Post edited, warning given. Do not use that language again on here please.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:45:20 PM by Rodney »
Fish killer 101

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2006, 08:26:37 AM »

yeesh, temper.
Fish on!

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2006, 09:00:15 AM »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

aquaboy24

• Old Timer
  • Nuclear Fishin'
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2006, 09:20:49 AM »

Yep - Chum in the Cap - and Gooey - hate to burst your bubble (and this is small potatoes I know), but when I worked at the Cap hatchery, they did release some chum (back in around 91)...only out of a display tank, but they did.

And I have sen them as high as my "quiet" spot, which is close to  the suspension bridge.

cheers
Vince

You don't make friends with salad.