Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano Fishing  (Read 11732 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Capilano Fishing
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 11:52:56 PM »

Sometimes you just got to get down deep and lose some gear trying to get to where the fish hold. That's either float fishing or casting lures.  I cast lures alot and don't consider it flossing if I hit bottom on retrieve. If you think your flossing them you can change your hook size to reduce that from happening.  If your catching fish by the sphincter your flossing. ;)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 02:50:46 AM »

One sure way of identifying a flosser is that they always "set" the hook at the end of every cast.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 01:12:07 PM »

Short floating or no other way! That is the message! Those who fish other way, including bottom bouncing with short leader is suspect! ...... Ah, when will this process of enshining one method stop?  ???

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 09:10:16 PM »

What you are saying is great.  For the most part short floating should be the only way to fish.  All I was saying is that bottom bouncing is not necesarily flossing.

I'm a little confused though as to why you say the float has to pass over the fish before it shows the hit?  The tension in the line is the same if not more when you hold your float back slightly.  A simple hit from the fish will drop the float, why does it have to pass over the fish?

Hi Adecadelost, how did you pick that name?
I've learned that trick from watching the fish take the bait.  When holding back with a little thumb pressure on the spool, the bait goes downstream first, as you said. Now remember that since you are fishing the bottom the fish didn't have to rise up to get the bait, they just move over in front of it and intercept it. So naturally there is a period of slack between your hook and the float. Your float won't show anything till it has passed over the fish and made up the slack. I've observed this many times, often if you can watch a fish take your bait the float won't move for a full second.  If ever possible I watch my bait, not my float.

Those wary coho are often letting go of the bait before people set the hook, you often hear people say that they just missed one, I like to increase my odds of getting a good hookset.

Did this make sense to you?  Hopefully so.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:49:29 PM by bug pumper »
Fish on!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 09:56:00 PM »

those cap coho are notorious for doing that, they grab it and let go! U gotta be fast! The jacks on the other hand are just plain stupid and hold on to the roe for their dear life! i actually find that i dont have my weight ever bouncing on the bottom! Fish always feed up cus their eyes are ontop of their head. So if ur a couple inches to a foot above them they'll move up to get ur presentation and then go back down, thats when ur float goes under! So u strike! I find that methods works well for me!
Fish killer 101

Boozi

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 10:38:35 PM »

I find that methods works well for me!

And thats why you havent caught a coho yet :-\
Hahha  :P
Toss that Roe and get a Hoe

adecadelost

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 10:39:18 PM »

What you are saying is great.  For the most part short floating should be the only way to fish.  All I was saying is that bottom bouncing is not necesarily flossing.

I'm a little confused though as to why you say the float has to pass over the fish before it shows the hit?  The tension in the line is the same if not more when you hold your float back slightly.  A simple hit from the fish will drop the float, why does it have to pass over the fish?

Hi Adecadelost, how did you pick that name?
I've learned that trick from watching the fish take the bait.  When holding back with a little thumb pressure on the spool, the bait goes downstream first, as you said. Now remember that since you are fishing the bottom the fish didn't have to rise up to get the bait, they just move over in front of it and intercept it. So naturally there is a period of slack between your hook and the float. Your float won't show anything till it has passed over the fish and made up the slack. I've observed this many times, often if you can watch a fish take your bait the float won't move for a full second.  If ever possible I watch my bait, not my float.

Those wary coho are often letting go of the bait before people set the hook, you often hear people say that they just missed one, I like to increase my odd of getting a good hookset.

Did this make sense to you?  Hopefully so.

Thanks bugpumper I understand what you mean now.  Normaly I'm not right on the bottom, so most cases the fish has to drop with the bait, and it registers on the float.  I also try and use very small floats and weigh them down just so the tip sits up dry.  That way the smallest hit will register.  Your advice is bang on though.

As for the name; a decade lost.  I used to fish religously for many years.  The last 10 years or so I haven't fished much and just got back into it on a regular basis.  It's great to be back.  It's just like riding a bike, you never really forget the technique.  
Now to just get my spey casting dialed ;)

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 10:47:07 PM »

Ha, what a dummy I am!!!  I read your name like Ade cade lost.  Yeesh, I must be getting old.
Fish on!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 02:39:36 AM »

Ha, what a dummy I am!!!  I read your name like Ade cade lost.  Yeesh, I must be getting old.

You're not the only one ;D I had to read it again S L O W L Y ;D ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 07:00:58 AM »

Ya your getting old BP, maybe your should change your name to 4decadeslost!!!!  ;D

adecadelost

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2006, 07:45:34 AM »

I guess some spaces would have helped.   ;D  It gives us older minds something to digest this way

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2006, 10:17:49 AM »

LMFAO I was thinking the same thing, sounds like a seasoned veteran the way he talks LOL

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

theweev

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »

rivers down and clearing. there @ sunrise in front of old folks home. fished for 1 1/2 hrs = 0. moved  above the highway and w/in the next hour had 4 chum all cleanly hooked on combo wool and roe.  now it's off to work. :( no sign of coho or springs. not a good year @ all.

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2006, 07:50:12 PM »

Ya your getting old BP, maybe your should change your name to 4decadeslost!!!!  ;D

I don't know Gooey, its kinda cool being older than you, but actually looking younger. LMAO!!
Fish on!

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2006, 08:05:54 PM »

LMFAO I was thinking the same thing, sounds like a seasoned veteran the way he talks LOL

hahahhaha I third that, has he ever caught more then a chum??