Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bodybuilding Thread!!  (Read 72607 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Bodybuilding Thread!!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 03:18:49 PM »

In that case, I'll swing by next time I'm in town.

What exactly do you mean by 80% level? Does that mean that it contains 80g of protien per 100g of powder?
Actions speak louder than words.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 03:23:40 PM »

yeah thats exactly what it means.. usually a good quality blend is in the 80's and a really good quality isolate is in the 80's to lower 90's and they are 100% whey...  whey is the most easily absorbed protein.... and the stuff that has soy protein is bad for males.. because it raises the estrogen levels in the system and causes muscle atrophy

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »

Actually I kind of suspected that last part but I wasn't really sure, good to know for sure.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 03:45:04 PM »

I have two favorite proteins. The one I use the most is the Dymatize Elite Whey ( best tasting IMHO ) and second to that is Optimum Nutrition's Whey. I love both brands and trust anything made by either of these companies.I really want to try ON's Complex but having a hard time finding it here as most places wont carry it because of the price. I can always order it online which is what I may do.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 05:08:03 PM »

I have two favorite proteins. The one I use the most is the Dymatize Elite Whey ( best tasting IMHO ) and second to that is Optimum Nutrition's Whey. I love both brands and trust anything made by either of these companies.I really want to try ON's Complex but having a hard time finding it here as most places wont carry it because of the price. I can always order it online which is what I may do.
The Dymatize is ok.. I actually stopped carrying it because too many people returned it claiming they hated the taste, mainly because it was too sweet..I personally couldn't stand it!!! optimum nutrition is also good.. I carry  IDS " innovative delivery systems, Ultimate Nutrition, Champion Nutrition, Allmax, Kaizen, QSE and BIO X... these are all very good quality and they are all approved.. which means what they say they contain is what they actually contain.. alot of companies have been busted for listing false % of proteins ...  I know there are alot of other great brands but I can only carry a certain # there are just too many.. so I chose the ones which I think are the best quality and value and sell those....

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 06:46:51 PM »

Dymatize is sweet and thats what I like about it. I used Bio-X for years when I was in my early 20's and loved it as well. For protein bars I love my Protein 2 Go bars the White Chocolate Avalanche just yummy!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 06:52:24 PM »

Well, it seems like there is a bit of attention being payed to this now!!!  Good, I hope that some more people pipe up and decide to start "getting into shape".  ;D ;D
  So, I don't know where to start, so why don't I get right to it!!I little background on myself.  When I was 16, being real thin, and not having much power to back up my punches and kicks, I decided to start training to simply add strength.  I weighed in at a meager 120 lbs at 5' 9"!!!!  My mom was really into nutrition, and I had studied many different ways of training before I actually did any.  SO I had a decent idea of what to do, and form, not weigh was my focus.  What do you know, I guess that I had my Dad's genetics(he was huge without ever lifting a weight), after 6 solid months, I was up to 150lbs and feeling good, still at about 6% body fat!!  Then my goals started to change, I suddenly wanted to get bigger.  Changed the workout, and another 6 months had gone by I was 165lbs, now in a year I had gained 45lbs and grew a bit over an inch as well!! 
  Again, goals changed, I wanted to be a bodybuilder now, and fighting had sort of taken a back seat!!!  So, I changed my diet to 10000 calories a day, and didn't really worry about putting on a little fat.  After another year, WITH NO STERIODS, as I was between 17-18, I was up to around 245 lbs, benching over 450 for sets and Military pressing over 400lbs for sets!!  started to become freakish to my family, but they were impressed by my intensity and dedication.  Over the next year, off eating, sleeping and training, also working, but not that much, as I still lived at home, at one point I made it to the heaviest I had ever been, 282lbs.  Had a bit of a gut though, and there was a tourney coming up in Nova Scotia that I wanted to enter.  SO I started dieting and made it down to 245lbs at 5-7 % bodyfat.  I thought that I looked pretty good, and finished 2nd in prejudging.  You'll never guess what happened that night, I got hit by a car on my motorcycle and was in the hospital for what seemed like forever and was off my feet for around a year.  That finished my ambitions.  Dropped to 160lbs, and could never really get it going again.  I did for a year here and a year there, but never put anything consistant together.
  But it seems different this time, since I found out my dad was dying, it gave me a much better focus.  For 7 weeks now, my mindset has been strong and getting stronger with each workout.  I started training about 6 weeks ago, after getting the diet in check.  When I started I was 228lbs with a decent, but not huge gut.  I had been down to 201lbs upon arriving back from Winnipeg after my dads passing, but over the last two weeks, now that I am sleeping and eating properly again, was difficult for a bit there, I have put on a bit of weight and am back up to 207lbs.  The abs are coming along fairly well, and I am happy.
  I have not been using anything (supplements) as of yet, just eating right and sleeping.  The recovery after a workout has been rather surprising, but we'll see if that continues now that I have again turned up the pressure.  Any tips on what I might need to start using, as I have a feeling that I will plateau sooner or later would be greatly appreciated. 
  Rick, I will be in touch regarding this issue, as well Brian, if you have any other input that would be great.  Also Rick and Brian, along with anyone else, feel free to post some pics.  I might as well, I wish that I had some from back when, but I have moved all the way across the country and don't know where they made it to over the last 12 years!!!
  I'm sure that there will be some good critiques on what each of us need to improve on, which could come in handy because sometimes we don't see what others do. 
  Also, my biceps have been notorious hard gainers over the years, so any tips on what else I could do, or if I might be doing to much.  This is what I am doing for them right now.
 The first 2 rotate monthly.  Alternate dumbell curls  and Ez bar barbell curls.  4 sets after a light warm up.  Keeping reps between 10-12 on all sets.  Next, and one of my favorites, cable preachers with either curl bar or straight bar.  4 sets, all sets between 10-12 reps, with no neg reps on last set.
 I finish with Concentration curls. 4 sets 10-12 reps.  This is the bi workout I finally came up with that actually works for me, but any other input is always welcome. 
  This seems to be long enough, so I will end it there for now.  If you can get all the way through it then great, if not then I'm sorry!!! :-[ ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 07:08:07 PM »

Thanks for sharing Big Steel. I've got a fairly similar story. After during my first year of school I started off at the gym, mostly to put on muscle for hockey. I started off at 165 and then worked out from half way through the school year until the end of the summer at which point I was up to 182 without touching a supplement. Unfortunatly I was in a horrible bike accident that hospitalized me for 2 weeks after which I was back down to my original weight. Even worse I was unable to lift a weight for several months. After I was somewhat healed I hit the gym again, this time even harder and with the aid of protien bars and powder. I eventually got back up to 185 by the end of my second year but once more I had to go back in for additional surgery which took me out for another month, which proptly sent me back down another 10lbs. After yet another recovery I continued at the gym for the rest of the summer, by the end of which I was up to 188. Unfortunaly, this past year I've had a nagging rotator cuff problem that continues to sideline me on and off. As of today I'm sitting at 182, and am still working to put the weight back on. On the plus side, however, I'm now boasting awsome cardio.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 07:20:42 PM »

Sounds good Sterling, keep it up!!!  In thinking about it, I at times think that the accident was a good thing.  I was a mean, nasty person who wouldn't go out looking for a fight, but one seemed to find me quite a bit.  The accident got me thinking that I wasn't happy being in a bad mood, and the Ego thing was pretty bad.  It changed me in goods ways, but one never knows where i would be right now if it hadn't had happened. :o
  Biff, when you are in town, let me know.  I'll take you to my gym, is a great place to workout, and isn't that busy.  I can always get on what I need, when I need it!!!  Funny none of this came up in all those hrs we spent on the river!!! :o ;D
  I don't have any ambitions at the moment on where this will take me, I just have an urge to keep it up and see how I do now.  I am 32, just wish that I had started up fulltime years ago!!  Or was able to keep it going when I did start!! ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 07:29:12 PM »

I have a few questions: What is the difference between high weights and low repetition vs. low weights and high repetition ?

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006, 07:42:41 PM »

You've seen the scar right?

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006, 07:48:09 PM »

You've seen the scar right?
Nope!!!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006, 07:51:55 PM »

Looks even cooler in real life  :o

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »

I have a few questions: What is the difference between high weights and low repetition vs. low weights and high repetition ?
Well, generaly, high weight is for gaining strength and size.  Low weight, high reps is for getting lean and losing weight.  But, which muscle group you work also has an effect on how much weight and reps one should do.  Some muscle groups react differently than other muscle groups to high weight, low reps.  Biceps for instance work well with isoloation, keeping your form strict and not doing a lot of weight.  Keeping the reps at about 12.  Whereas, chest is a bigger muscle group and you could get better results from doing 6-8 reps and more weight!! 

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2006, 07:57:40 PM »

Looks even cooler in real life  :o

OUCH!!!