Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Fraser River pink salmon have you kept in 2011?

1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
50+

Author Topic: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.  (Read 256857 times)

tfishy

Re: Fishing pinks on the fraser this year.
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 07:59:06 PM »

was commercial fishing on the Fraser on Tuesday and was catching a few pinks in our sets...was also out yesterday to huck a couple spoons and then switched over to a buzzbomb and was able to hook on to a nice female.  A lot of rollers around 615 to 645pm.  They are coming!!

1stlite

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 09:27:27 PM »

Hmmm. Rising tide tomorrow morning. May be a good day to get out early on Saturday. Maybe.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 09:44:58 PM »

Hmmm. Rising tide tomorrow morning. May be a good day to get out early on Saturday. Maybe.
I think it may well be worth a shot.  Tried tonight on the North Arm but there was nobody home except a Seal  - at least Seals mean fish so that was encouraging.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 12:43:24 PM »

Fished the incoming tide this morning. From 8-9am there were small schools pushing through and I managed to connect with a small doe but the hook popped out during landing. From 9-10:30 the schools became more sparse with only a few pinks jumping. The higher the tide got, the more they pushed out into the center of the river, way out of casting range. Pleased I was able to connect with one but they are still few and far between. Good luck to those during the next week as I get to go up to the interior for some stillwater action ;D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

chronic_topdawg

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 07:53:45 PM »

oh their here ;D

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »

Fished for a couple hours in Richmond tonight and had no takers.  Saw 2 fish rise, no idea what they were.

rheticus

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 09:12:30 PM »

I put in a few hours this evening too. There were just enough risers, rollers, and jumpers to keep me tantalized -- though not very many really, and all I caught was one of those bony things Rodney likes to take pictures of.  What most struck me was the poor visibility in the water. It's a wonder any fish could *see* a lure in that murk.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 10:07:59 PM »

Was down near garry point park ask after noon. Saw a handful of jumpers over 5 hours and I think one fin going crazy for a couple seconds. No bites, quite a few people all day and no one got even a little excited. Was starting t to think I was doing something wrong, but with the lak of action for anyone I think we're all just not having luck. Will be out in the morning. Just want even a lost fight so I know I'm not totally failing here.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

frozensalmon

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2011, 01:22:18 AM »

visualbility is too bad in fraser, fish could not see
more coho, more coho... ::)

bcguy

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2011, 07:07:20 AM »

visualbility is too bad in fraser, fish could not see

Its not that bad, and considerably better than 2 weeks ago.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

oldkawi

« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2011, 07:05:21 PM »

I gave it a go this morning as well.  Fished the incoming tide from about 11:15 am to about 1:45 Pm.  I was on Dyke Rd. near No. 5.  The wind when I started made fishing rather difficult as it was blowing head on but as the day went on it decreased.  Saw a few fish jumping out of casting range (probably sockey)  but did not see anything else. As far as anything to get excited about....not on this day haha!!  The only thing that got my heart going was when the two Fisheries officers snuck up behind me!  Anyways they did their usual check of license and gear and no problems.  They did not see any pink caught along the river on that day and said that the only people getting lucky were at the mouth and fishing from boats.  Oh well, all in all a relaxing day and I'm sure that in a week or two when numbers start to head up and maybe visibility is a touch better we will get some fish!!  Happy Fishing.

ja

Pinks and water clarity
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »

I've noticed this season that the water clarity in the Lower Fraser (around No5 Rd, Richmond) is much poorer than previous years that had Pinks.  I'm wondering whether this will affect Pink fishing when they start coming in numbers.  Logic would suggest it would.  Any veteran fishermen with experience in this sort of thing for the Fraser care to comment?  Is water clarity just as poor further down the river....say from Delta to around Langley or better?  Also, would a different fishing approach than using pink lures work better in the murky water?  Thanks all.

colin6101

Re: Pinks and water clarity
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »

I like to throw out spinners in low water clarity. Seems to work pretty well since the fish are also being attracted by the vibrations they make in the water. Spin and glows are used for the same reason in the upper Fraser for Chinook salmon.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Re: Pinks and water clarity
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2011, 07:52:30 PM »

I've noticed this season that the water clarity in the Lower Fraser (around No5 Rd, Richmond) is much poorer than previous years that had Pinks.  I'm wondering whether this will affect Pink fishing when they start coming in numbers.  Logic would suggest it would.  Any veteran fishermen with experience in this sort of thing for the Fraser care to comment?  Is water clarity just as poor further down the river....say from Delta to around Langley or better?  Also, would a different fishing approach than using pink lures work better in the murky water?  Thanks all.

I was fishin Langley area today and very poor clarity  - can't compare to where you were as i haven't been there this year, but it's not very good up here either!  Only saw a couple risers, no bites or anything.... sure was a LOT of drift boats out tho!!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2011, 08:24:05 PM »

Don't panic.... Don't panic... ;D Water clarity is poor, but not the worst I've caught pink salmon and other species in. It'll take more casts to entice one, but with so many fish expected to come in, it shouldn't make such a big difference. :)