Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 297664 times)

Infiniti81

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #570 on: September 15, 2013, 08:43:10 PM »

Hey all,

Quick question, how long is the run expected to last? Would we still be in decent shape next weekend? I really want my fiance to catch one, and I know she really wants to land one.

Thanks!

SteelHunter

« Reply #571 on: September 15, 2013, 08:54:39 PM »

I was at no.5 road from 1-6pm pretty constant action for me all day! I was able to land a bunch of females and lost some males which i was going to release anyways but was awesome fight on my light action rod. My buddy caught his first pink ever today after many days going home without fish. At least the section i was fishing there where constant hookups and i lost 1 and caught 1 back to back so action for the lucky people ::)

The bite really went on when the tide starting pushing back out? I started to think the myself that the salmon appeared to be heading back to the ocean the way there where rising and swimming all towards back out the ocean cause the current starts to get really strong outgoing tide. I'm starting to think that these fish start to feed like crazy when they start to head back to the ocean to prepare for next tide push.

Is it just me that notice that or am i just lucky this weekend?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 09:01:51 PM by SteelHunter »

Yvrsilver

« Reply #572 on: September 15, 2013, 09:02:58 PM »

no.5rd is great for low tide but on an incoming tide much better spots further down river

Yvrsilver

« Reply #573 on: September 15, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »

I would think the weekend will still be good , was a late start this year with the warm river , and we will be back to 2 fishable tides first light and evening , good luck

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #574 on: September 15, 2013, 09:48:48 PM »

I was at no.5 road from 1-6pm pretty constant action for me all day! I was able to land a bunch of females and lost some males which i was going to release anyways but was awesome fight on my light action rod. My buddy caught his first pink ever today after many days going home without fish. At least the section i was fishing there where constant hookups and i lost 1 and caught 1 back to back so action for the lucky people ::)

The bite really went on when the tide starting pushing back out? I started to think the myself that the salmon appeared to be heading back to the ocean the way there where rising and swimming all towards back out the ocean cause the current starts to get really strong outgoing tide. I'm starting to think that these fish start to feed like crazy when they start to head back to the ocean to prepare for next tide push.

Feeding in the Fraser? Heading back to the ocean before a tide push? Where did you come up with these analogies?

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

htdub

« Reply #575 on: September 15, 2013, 09:56:49 PM »

Great day today fishing the incoming tide in Richmond.

To the 2 guys I helped land their fish at the park, that was great.
Your kids and family were all pretty excited to see that. I think the wives were happy to finally go home with dinner, props to them to wait out that wind.

;)

Some terrible fishing etiquette out their (i know they don't read this forum). Would land a fish or go help someone land theirs, to have someone just jump in and start casting wildly overhead. Snagging lures couple cast later is fishing karma.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 10:01:05 PM by htdub »

robbyvanz

« Reply #576 on: September 15, 2013, 10:08:31 PM »

I agree.  Some real jerks out there.  Come on guys.  Don't show up late and try and squeeze in where there is literally no room to cast.  Walk 2 mins down the road and find a open spot. 

Tenz85

« Reply #577 on: September 15, 2013, 10:31:52 PM »

I've caught a few ( kept the good catches ) and from what i didn't find in their stomach was any substantial 'food' being digested. I'm not an expert by any means but I believe that they are now more focused on defending their spawn.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #578 on: September 15, 2013, 10:41:49 PM »

I agree.  Some real jerks out there.  Come on guys.  Don't show up late and try and squeeze in where there is literally no room to cast.  Walk 2 mins down the road and find a open spot.

A week ago couple of guys squeezed in where I was fishing. Half hour later I turned around and one of the guys had a spoon lodged in his ear. His friend tried to take the hook out with a plier but failed. They left presumably to the hospital with a spoon dangling from his ear lobe. Karma

Alex_c

« Reply #579 on: September 15, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »

A returning salmon biting in fresh water is purely an act of aggression or defensive instinct.

SteelHunter

« Reply #580 on: September 15, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »

Feeding in the Fraser? Heading back to the ocean before a tide push? Where did you come up with these analogies?
LMAO I didn't come up with these they are observations i have noticed fishing Richmond area tidal Fraser.

On the strong incoming tides the salmon head up river and don't feed only defend there spawning grounds so the bites are more random out of aggression.   I guess I am the only one that notices that when the tide is outgoing I notice the salmon rising with there head going direction towards the ocean, this is when i notice alot more landed fish then incoming tide .

Hope that make sense  ;D

robbyvanz

« Reply #581 on: September 15, 2013, 11:01:27 PM »

A week ago couple of guys squeezed in where I was fishing. Half hour later I turned around and one of the guys had a spoon lodged in his ear. His friend tried to take the hook out with a plier but failed. They left presumably to the hospital with a spoon dangling from his ear lobe. Karma

LMAO  I bet he didn't pinch the barb.  Amazing how Karma works.  I foul hooked a male today in the tail, released it, then next cast caught a nice 7lb chrome. 

Infiniti81

« Reply #582 on: September 16, 2013, 12:16:32 AM »

I would think the weekend will still be good , was a late start this year with the warm river , and we will be back to 2 fishable tides first light and evening , good luck

Thanks, hopefully she gets one next weekend. I've caught a few already but sucks seeing her leave empty handed. Think I'll let her use my setup next week as it seems luckier than hers  ;D

Mr Z

« Reply #583 on: September 16, 2013, 12:21:08 AM »

LMAO I didn't come up with these they are observations i have noticed fishing Richmond area tidal Fraser.

On the strong incoming tides the salmon head up river and don't feed only defend there spawning grounds so the bites are more random out of aggression.   I guess I am the only one that notices that when the tide is outgoing I notice the salmon rising with there head going direction towards the ocean, this is when i notice alot more landed fish then incoming tide .

Hope that make sense  ;D

The main reason you catch more fish during the outgoing tide is because during that tide salmon move close to shore where there is less current. For this reason more fish are in reach of your casts.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #584 on: September 16, 2013, 12:22:42 AM »

LMAO  I bet he didn't pinch the barb.  Amazing how Karma works.  I foul hooked a male today in the tail, released it, then next cast caught a nice 7lb chrome.

My thoughts as well. If it was barbless I would imagine that it should come out fairly easy.