Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates  (Read 300277 times)

robbyvanz

Re: 2013 Lower Fraser River Pink Salmon Fishery Information & Updates
« Reply #600 on: September 16, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »

I'd like to see a cooler with more than 1 fish.  I'm a believer when I see more than 1 fish side by side. 

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #601 on: September 16, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »

Wonder if the rain and the lower temps helped with the bites? or was it really a late run this year?

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #602 on: September 16, 2013, 03:02:17 PM »

was out during my lunch in richmond. managed a male with a decent hump so let him go but it was dead. didnt see one fish roll or jump.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #603 on: September 16, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »

was out during my lunch in richmond. managed a male with a decent hump so let him go but it was dead. didnt see one fish roll or jump.
Not much happening in the North Arm either at lunch.  This week's lunch time is low-tide which is probably not a great time to fish for Fraser Pinks.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #604 on: September 16, 2013, 03:54:44 PM »

A week ago couple of guys squeezed in where I was fishing. Half hour later I turned around and one of the guys had a spoon lodged in his ear. His friend tried to take the hook out with a plier but failed. They left presumably to the hospital with a spoon dangling from his ear lobe. Karma

Couldn't get it out would only be because of barb!  DOUBLE KARMA!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #605 on: September 16, 2013, 04:00:16 PM »

Fished Glen Valley for a couple hours 9-11 this morning.  Slow, very few fish showing and had only 3 hook-ups.  Not a good year for me this year - timing is everything, school starts at the wrong time LOL  have to wait a few more days for the tides to change a bit and line up with dropping the kid off at school!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #606 on: September 16, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »

my lunch was 2 so it was more like afternoon.

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #607 on: September 16, 2013, 04:22:56 PM »

Today, I went to the no. 3 pier at around 1pm, and it was my first time fishing in the area even though I've been living in B.C. pretty much all my life. It was even for first time targeting pink salmon since I'm not a fan of eating pink salmon, but I gave it a shot. I tried casting my 3.5 inch perch coloured Zzinger (chartreuse, pink, and lime) which was the exact same lure caught my first salmon (chinook) in near Horseshoe bay about 20 years ago. I fished the Zzinger for about 1.5 hours and it only attracted a large fish near the surface which looked like a salmon which came to investigate the lure, but it did not strike. 

I also used a silver coloured Luhr Jensen Krocodile which got me no results, and I used it on the pier.

There were lots of fisherman near the rocks on the shore fishing, but there were two others fishermen on the pier. I saw two that caught salmon on the shore, but no one of the pier caught a salmon.

I should have fished on the shore with a spoon or a spinner!

Fishing on the no. 3 pier must be a bad idea when targeting pinks right?

I did see a few large pinks jumping at around 2-3pm, and there were lots of commercial fishermen near the no. 3 pier area too.

Lastly, I'm kinda shocked that a one year tidal water fishing license purchased today expires on March 31, 2014 which sucks - I knew about it when I was young, though I haven't spent a lot of time fishing these days.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:39:59 PM by Long_Cast »

ejeffrey

« Reply #608 on: September 16, 2013, 04:43:03 PM »

The problem with fishing for salmon from the pier is: how are you going to land the fish? You'll have to haul it up 15-20 feet to get it over the railing.

I would also suggest using a lure smaller than 3.5". Good luck!

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #609 on: September 16, 2013, 04:59:34 PM »

It looks like a need to change my location and I will probably have to go shopping for smaller lures.

Interesting, when I was fishing with my 3.5 inch Zzinger in the ocean near Horseshoe Bay, it caught big and small fishes, including some herring which was only twice the size of the Zzinger!

I have a 3.5 inch Buzz Bomb in my tackle box which I still want to try out for the pinks, but it's white and green coloured.

Also, I scheduled my vacation last year so I could take one week off in September - I didn't think about fishing at all, and this happened to be pink salmon season, so I really want to catch at least one pink salmon for this week!

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:13:12 PM by Long_Cast »

finishingwithian

« Reply #610 on: September 16, 2013, 06:25:21 PM »

New here and want to ask if any of you has tried drift fishing in Fraser River for pinks?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #611 on: September 16, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »

lots of fish came in on the tide at no3 rd between 2.50 -4.30  i got 2 and so did my buddy, also had  a few on . saw two guys with 4 landed.  indian seiners  were near but stayed out nearer the middle. crocs 1/4 oz were working for us.

ANFguy

« Reply #612 on: September 16, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »

fished garry point from 12-2pm(almost low tide). only fisherman there. Landed 6(released 5, kept one), lost four more. caught using a light orange spoon.

Yvrsilver

« Reply #613 on: September 16, 2013, 07:09:28 PM »

HOLY SMOKES best day yet in Richmond 3:00 small bite landed 2 , 5:30 Massive bite, let 2 go and still limit out! , 4 of us went limit out , lost count how many were caught , FN were having a great time seine fishing around 4 rd so don't fish up river from them they pulled in huger numbers so large they were having problems lol

Long_Cast

• Fish Smart
« Reply #614 on: September 16, 2013, 07:11:57 PM »

I should have used a small brightly coloured spoon! I have a Gibbs Kit-A-Mat in my tackle box in bright red.

I think I'll head out tomorrow.