Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Define locally  (Read 25873 times)

banx

Re: Define locally
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2020, 09:36:37 AM »

The last time I fished was good friday.  Normally I would be spending 2-3 days a week fishing this time of year.... around squamish or chasing cutties up around the harrison.

I was driving up to my favourite trib around squamish and all the trails were blocked off with caution tape.  Every house I drove by had a sign that said "locals only" "pandemic, no visitors" "keep out locals only"

I didn't feel local.

I live in van, my lunch was packed, filled my tank, brought my french press, coffee and a burner. I didn't see or talk to anyone. I understood that even though I had greatly reduced the risk and wasn't breaking any laws, seeing those signs played with my conscience. I wasn't welcome there, so I left.

Robert_G

« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »

Here's a test.

Try asking the people who live in the immediate locality if you are fishing. Tell them where you are from and why you are there.

Ask them if they think you are a local.

Most of them don't want us from LM there at the best of times.... never mind during a virus outbreak.
I can't count the number of times hunting and fishing the interior that people who live up there have tried to say 'You're on my property' when I know I'm on crown land.
So no...that test isn't a good indicator.

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2020, 03:44:02 PM »

Most of them don't want us from LM there at the best of times.... never mind during a virus outbreak.
I can't count the number of times hunting and fishing the interior that people who live up there have tried to say 'You're on my property' when I know I'm on crown land.

Actually that's prob just you. Earn your respect, which you obviously haven't done.

Robert_G

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2020, 04:02:27 PM »

Actually that's prob just you. Earn your respect, which you obviously haven't done.

I don't think so. No one tells me to get off of crown land. I do not need to 'earn' anyone's respect to be on crown land.
What don't you understand about that?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2020, 12:13:38 AM »

The Province posted some FAQ about hunting (and fishing) during the pandemic

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates/faq-hunting-during-covid-19#locallly

You’ll notice that “locally” is more clearly defined in one of the FAQ and it Is uncannily similar to how I defined it earlier in this thread.

I can’t explain it. It’s a gift

stsfisher

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2020, 06:36:20 AM »

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates/faq-hunting-during-covid-19#locallly

You’ll notice that “locally” is more clearly defined in one of the FAQ and it Is uncannily similar to how I defined it earlier in this thread.

I see zero mention of (and fishing) ???? Not sure anyone would consider the 2 the same.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »

Did the rooster crow?

The advice on the fishing page is a little different:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing

If you cannot fish safely, do not go fishing.

If you cannot meet all the Covid19 orders, guidance, and remain at least 2 meters (6 feet) apart, please defer your plans to fish.

To reduce risk and support the direction to stay home the Province has closed areas such as Parks and camping areas.

... with the Restart plan now published and parks being  reopened for day use soon hopefully the  worst has passed for the time being.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2020, 09:07:55 AM »

I see zero mention of (and fishing) ???? Not sure anyone would consider the 2 the same.

Since I am "anyone", I guess can respond. For several reasons:
* In the guidelines, fishing and hunting are treated together i.e. "Fish and hunt locally" 
* The FAQ is posted under the Fishing and Hunting COVID-19 page
* On another fishing board that I am a member of, another member emailed the provincial gov't for clarification on what "local" meant. The first reply a couple of weeks ago from the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations, and Rural Development  was "Unfortunately, there is no definition for ‘local’ when it comes to angling or hunting."   A couple of days ago he got this follow up reply "Wildlife & Habitat Branch recently put together a list of frequently asked questions related to your enquiry.  The FAQ’s can be found here  https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates/faq-hunting-during-covid-19.  They are targeted towards hunting but should still be able to answer some of your questions. "   

Did the rooster crow?
I thought I heard something that sounded similarly annoying

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2020, 09:32:29 AM »

LOL.  Everyone deserves the chance to gloat.

If there was much hunting available this time of year, the comparison could be apt. However I don't think many will be interested in raccoon, skunk or coyote. Some people eat black bear and I have had it in the past. How about ravens? Time to eat a little crow!

In Region 2 most places close to residential areas are closed to shooting and often hunting. The extent of private property in many areas also limits hunting opportunities.

About the only hunters who need clarification as far as subsistence hunting goes ( doesn't apply to trophy and other hunting 'forms') would be FN nations hunters exercising their specific rights.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:02:39 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »

Clarki if Ralph says your wrong your wrong. Just accept it a move on.

I have yet to see anyone on here change Ralphs train of thought or make he adjust his opinion.

Robert_G

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2020, 10:47:19 AM »

For someone who is a guide, I'm surprised how much you seem to side with the idea that we shouldn't be out fishing.
And to reply to this quote. Fishing and Hunting were simultaneously declared essential. 
There is no reason to separate them in those list of instructions that were posted by clarki.

It's hot, the ice has melted, and the chironomids are about to hatch. I'm going fishing somewhere between Princeton/Merrit/Kamloops this weekend...and I'm going to be catching big Pennask Bows.
The rest of you can sit on your phones this weekend and pick out colors for the new masks you need to protect yourselves from the Plandemic.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »

Clarki if Ralph says your wrong your wrong. Just accept it a move on.

I have yet to see anyone on here change Ralphs train of thought or make he adjust his opinion.

I didn't say he was wrong!

Tell you one thing though how far you can travel in a day without stopping is relative (not subjective).  No way I can drive to Hope without stopping. Most days I can't make it to Chilliwack. Are the Sumas Rest stop washrooms closed?  ;D

stsfisher

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »

For someone who is a guide, I'm surprised how much you seem to side with the idea that we shouldn't be out fishing.
And to reply to this quote. Fishing and Hunting were simultaneously declared essential. 
There is no reason to separate them in those list of instructions that were posted by clarki.

It's hot, the ice has melted, and the chironomids are about to hatch. I'm going fishing somewhere between Princeton/Merrit/Kamloops this weekend...and I'm going to be catching big Pennask Bows.
The rest of you can sit on your phones this weekend and pick out colors for the new masks you need to protect yourselves from the Plandemic.

Nope you are wrong Robert, I am not a guide. How does it feel to be wrong after passing judgement? For all you know we could be neighbors?

I didn't say don't go out fishing, I was asking where fishing was included in the hunting explanation of local. Completely different recreation activity.
Yes both are essential, have a great weekend doing what you feel is appropriate.

stsfisher

« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2020, 12:14:07 PM »

Since I am "anyone", I guess can respond. For several reasons:
* In the guidelines, fishing and hunting are treated together i.e. "Fish and hunt locally" 
* The FAQ is posted under the Fishing and Hunting COVID-19 page
* On another fishing board that I am a member of, another member emailed the provincial gov't for clarification on what "local" meant. The first reply a couple of weeks ago from the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations, and Rural Development  was "Unfortunately, there is no definition for ‘local’ when it comes to angling or hunting."   A couple of days ago he got this follow up reply "Wildlife & Habitat Branch recently put together a list of frequently asked questions related to your enquiry.  The FAQ’s can be found here  https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/fishing-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates/faq-hunting-during-covid-19.  They are targeted towards hunting but should still be able to answer some of your questions. "   
   I thought I heard something that sounded similarly annoying

Clarki, you can't post a hunting recommendation link and not get questioned how that fits into fishing.....Last time I checked the professional opinions of this site there was not one rod and reel listed on the Firearms ban list.
But thanks for the long explanation how you come up with the justification to do so..... I especially like the " well a friend of a friend said so" lol, ok that's just how I read it. :)

Robert_G

« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »

Nope you are wrong Robert, I am not a guide. How does it feel to be wrong after passing judgement? For all you know we could be neighbors?

My apologies. I totally assumed you were this guiding service.
https://www.guidebc.com/     STS Guiding Services

I hope you can see where one might make the connection. I thought you chose your username to represent the guiding service.
Anyways....unlike many others here, I'm not afraid to admit it when I'm wrong. Again....my apologies.