Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Pinks 2023  (Read 68584 times)

Phronesis

Re: Fraser Pinks 2023
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2023, 09:46:57 PM »

Copy and paste from Albion Test for Springs.  Keep the pinks closed and open non tidal Fraser for Springs.  Set line/Bar fishing only... The numbers are more than enough to support an opening.
13 Aug 2023      26      
14 Aug 2023      30
15 Aug 2023      32
16 Aug 2023           47   
17 Aug 2023      11   
18 Aug 2023      25   
19 Aug 2023      50   

20 Aug 2023      26   
21 Aug 2023      51   
22 Aug 2023      95
23 Aug 2023      23   
24 Aug 2023      48
25 Aug 2023      63   
26 Aug 2023      26

27 Aug 2023 - 32

Are these chinooks going to different tibutaries ? or typically to harrison/chilliwack only? If they do open fraser for chinooks I would definitely want to try it out

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #166 on: August 27, 2023, 09:50:28 PM »

Copy and paste from Albion Test for Springs.  Keep the pinks closed and open non tidal Fraser for Springs.  Set line/Bar fishing only... The numbers are more than enough to support an opening.
13 Aug 2023      26      
14 Aug 2023      30
15 Aug 2023      32
16 Aug 2023           47   
17 Aug 2023      11   
18 Aug 2023      25   
19 Aug 2023      50   

20 Aug 2023      26   
21 Aug 2023      51   
22 Aug 2023      95
23 Aug 2023      23   
24 Aug 2023      48
25 Aug 2023      63   
26 Aug 2023      26

our governmental agencies act and behave much to slow to even get an opening for us even when pinks are returning in record numbers oceanwide. So sad to see how inefficient government and politics are. Obviously I have little experience with details and experience but I strongly believe we could be doing much better. For your spring opening, I would suggest heading to the Columbia, somehow a river with so many dams and I see sportsmen beside 10's of chinooks on instagram, seems to be much better managed for recreational anglers..
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

roseph

« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2023, 07:06:18 AM »

Why not get involved instead of whining online?  First, IFS.  Second, strongly believe we could be doing much better doesn’t hold much water to hard data.  Data before strong feelings/hunches pls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2023, 07:12:54 AM »

27 Aug 2023 - 32

Are these chinooks going to different tibutaries ? or typically to harrison/chilliwack only? If they do open fraser for chinooks I would definitely want to try it out

most of these fish are headed to the Shushwap. Harrison/Chilliwack chinook will start in a few weeks.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2023, 08:01:46 AM »

Friend of mine caught a nice little spring about 8 pounds two weeks ago trolling for trout on the Shuswap. Purple apex on his 7 weight. He was pretty excited thinking he a whopper trout on the line.

SuperBobby

« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2023, 08:24:34 AM »

Please....stop with all the common sense talk.... :)

Why not get involved instead of whining online?  First, IFS.  Second, strongly believe we could be doing much better doesn’t hold much water to hard data.  Data before strong feelings/hunches pls.

Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. I've been 'involved' in this circus since the early 90s (although I gave up about 10 years ago or so) and others here longer then that. Getting 'involved' is a waste of time. Anyone here who has been 'involved' knows they are talking to a wall getting nothing back other than lip service from DFO. Watching paint dry is more productive.
As for the data? As almost everyone here has stated....there are more than enough salmon of some species this season for the sporties to be fishing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 08:27:30 AM by SuperBobby »

roeman

« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2023, 08:31:56 AM »

So I guess you are involved?  Not making any progress, sitting in a room thinking you are involved in decisions...LOL  I put up data from the last two weeks that many people don't even know exists.  A two week opening for Springs for the sportfishing community would not result in the same number of fish killed as one day with all the nets on the river.  Clearly those who attend the meeting that are not the ones making the final decision are wasting their time. 
All the people Sturgeon fishing, guides and locals, where do you think they are getting their bait from.  Going out at 2 in the morning and poaching or buying from FN.  Both methods wasting fish and also illegal.  But no enforcement. 
Go sit in your meeting,  and waste more time.... Doing such a good job...
Are you fishin or catchin

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2023, 09:41:53 AM »

I don't recall the exact IFS closure window for the Fraser below Hope but it would close prior to whatever number come back this fall. (Considering returns elsewhere it will be an indication if the run can be salvaged). Trout in Fraser below the Thompson to the Mission Bridge closes Sept 1 ... primarily to counter the argument a few people use that are "just fishing for trout". The IFC closure normally comes into play after Labour Day, at least in even numbered years.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

SuperBobby

« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2023, 11:04:17 AM »

. primarily to counter the argument a few people use that are "just fishing for trout".

There you go again with your BS assumptions. Who are you to say that there aren't people out there fishing for trout?
For years...especially on non pink years before Sockeye opened up as a young guy, I used to fish for trout from mid Aug through until spring all over the non tidal Fraser.
And you are so tone deaf that you can't understand or comprehend why people here call you out for being a DFO PR lacky...unbelievable.

redside1

« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2023, 11:21:55 AM »

seems to be much better managed for recreational anglers..

They have signed treaties with their Indians (not called First Nations in the USA) and it makes it much simpler to try and manage fisheries. We are way too busy reconciling in Canada to ever dream of this happening in my lifetime.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #175 on: August 28, 2023, 11:30:44 AM »

They have signed treaties with their Indians (not called First Nations in the USA) and it makes it much simpler to try and manage fisheries. We are way too busy reconciling in Canada to ever dream of this happening in my lifetime.

Current rights FNs have for salmon in BC were determined by the SCOC after the Federal Government (under pressure from other user groups) constantly denied any negotiated sharing of the resource.

Washington had it's own court challenges in the early 70s and there the court split harvest rights 50/50 between the Indians and everybody else. That ruling scared the hell out of other user groups in BC. Oregon and California has similar rulings.

In hindsight, at least to me, the Washington decision looks like a good deal compared to what we have now.

redside1

« Reply #176 on: August 28, 2023, 11:34:46 AM »

are you or have you been involved before? Dealing with DFO is like dealing with a 2 year old having a huge hissy fit. You can make all the common sense you want, use all the science you want, even science provided by DFO and get the exact same results that we are getting today. Nowhere unless its a horrible run does science mean anything to DFO higher ups. They do what they want whenever they want with zero accountability.  They had said the Mission to Tidewater pink opening would be a go on Tuesday and come late Friday afternoon they still couldn't get the opening processed? if it was a private sector company they would have been all fired for incompetence. They are not telling the true story and are hiding the real reason the fishery did not go ahead. You would think that by the end of the day today, they could have it processed so it's open tomorrow right? Well let's all hold our breathe nd see how that turns out. Bet right now maybe Wednesday but most likely Saturday the Fraser may open.

redside1

« Reply #177 on: August 28, 2023, 11:37:49 AM »

Current rights FNs have for salmon in BC were determined by the SCOC after the Federal Government (under pressure from other user groups) constantly denied any negotiated sharing of the resource.

don't think the SCOC gave First Nations exclusive rights to all fish either but DFO is currently managing it that way.

Has anyone ever stopped to think just how many pounds of salmon a person can eat in a year, have ceremonies with, etc? Then take the first nations population and to some math on it? I haven't but I bet there is no where near the amount of salmon eaten has taken.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #178 on: August 28, 2023, 12:12:00 PM »

I have done some research on what I could do, it first took me hours to find where I can access those meetings wildmanyeah was mentioning and then you have to sign up for a certain time of year, then sit there to 4 hour meetings on some topics I could hardly contribute to on a random date I might have homework or something else to do . Also I have heard from countless people who have attempted to do something similar and participated (eg some in this discussion) come out with either no results, an upsetting feeling or feel their time was wasted. In the end it seems that managers are disconnected from their jobs , lack passion and that $ & Influence is of priority. I don't know how any of it can change because I don't know how the DFO system works exactly.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

SuperBobby

« Reply #179 on: August 28, 2023, 12:49:42 PM »

don't think the SCOC gave First Nations exclusive rights to all fish either but DFO is currently managing it that way.

Has anyone ever stopped to think just how many pounds of salmon a person can eat in a year, have ceremonies with, etc? Then take the first nations population and to some math on it? I haven't but I bet there is no where near the amount of salmon eaten has taken.

Never thought of it, but it can't be that much, because there is at least 1 family downtown Chilliwack selling $30 per fish (Chinook) 3 days ago, and he had over 200lbs for sale. I guess the family ate their fill and already stocked up their freezer.