Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Morning Rant  (Read 8813 times)

booters

Morning Rant
« on: November 03, 2022, 05:55:43 AM »

Good Day
Apologize this is not fishing related but I have to bring it up,
Many times I have attended business outlets which display and sell Remembrance Day Poppies over the counters.
However I am flabbergasted by those clerks not wearing a Poppy? I just dont get it.
Also to continue year after year I have noticed right up to the day people,all ages,race etc not wearing poppy?
Remember people,those who fought for our freedom.
Thanks

SuperBobby

Re: Morning Rant
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 08:06:15 AM »

Good Day
Apologize this is not fishing related but I have to bring it up,
Many times I have attended business outlets which display and sell Remembrance Day Poppies over the counters.
However I am flabbergasted by those clerks not wearing a Poppy? I just dont get it.
Also to continue year after year I have noticed right up to the day people,all ages,race etc not wearing poppy?
Remember people,those who fought for our freedom.
Thanks

Have you looked out your window in the last 3 years or so at the real $#!t that is going on in this world right now? Because if you are paying attention, you won't be troubling yourself with whether a store clerk wears a poppy or not.

booters

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 08:52:30 AM »

I pay attention to lots of things, that being one of them,not to mention ur ignorant response, someone piss ur cornflakes

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 09:31:23 AM »

I don't get what this is about. A lot of people don't wear poppies or just some store clerks in specific situations? Lately there has been rants about "some people" who don't wear poppies. In 60 years of experience I have learned they are easy to lose!

FWIW I have a poppy but haven't worn it as yet... Remembrance Days is still a week away. Is there a statutory date that I have to put it on?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

sumasriver

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 09:48:22 AM »

Didn't you know if you hang a huge CDN  flag off the back of your truck.... that also makes you a patriot.      The symbol of our great flag has been highjacked by anti vaxers.

A. F U Trudeau sticker on your truck to show to the neighbours kids also makes you a patriot.     Really sad the direction our great country is moving towards. 

Thats my rant for the day.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 10:23:45 AM »

Booters, I can tell that wearing the poppy as a sign of gratitude and respect is important to you. I wondered if you had left any clues in your previous posts why that was...

Ten years ago, you told us about your uncle perishing in a bomber crash in 1941. So war, sacrifice and service is very much a part of your family history and your own personal values.

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be putting my poppy on today. Lest we forget.

Cheers.

booters

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 11:11:19 AM »

Well thanks Clarki.the one reply that makes some sense to me,others not so much
Enough said, end of conversation

fishtruck

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 01:53:56 PM »

When I was in Elementary school in the early 70's, poppies were handed out in class, each contributed what they could. For what it's worth, even though you don't see the numbers of poppy wearers as before, it's important to show support for those who gave their lives. We are free to have this discussion due to their sacrifice. To those that are on this forum who served, thank-you for your service.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 02:04:10 PM »

Booters I am glad you exercised your freedom to both wear a poppy and to voice your opinion on the matter here. I am also glad that those who don't have the freedom not to. I respect that and believe that was a small part of the freedoms many people have struggled to gain and or protect both in the past and today.

I would also like to share this photo of my wife's Uncle who died  as a Flight Sergent in the RCAF in April 1944 when the Lancaster Bomber he was serving in crashed landed in England after being damaged in combat over Germany.

There is a lake in Northern Saskatchewan named in his honor.

I'd also to point out that more non combatants died  in WW2 due directly or indirectly of the war than combatants of all nations. Only recently have they been officially remembered as part of our observances on November 11th.

I will also mention my parents who when in their teens living in Central and Eastern Europe directly experienced the force of the war and saw many people, young old  die, be injured or brutally assaulted. It wasn't until far later in my life I recognized both my parents lived with PTSD as a result for their entire lives. My mother, who worked as a nurse's aid in the what was then Czechoslovakia, saw and treated women and children who were brought into an aide station for treatment after suffering brutal sexual assault of soldiers of the liberating Red Army. She walked among columns of refugees in snow laden roads and told me decades later that it is always the very young and old who die first. She had horrible nightmares for 30 or more years after. It was hard not to notice.

I will wear a poppy but I will put it on when I am ready. I will observe 2 minutes of silence on the 11th and remember all the heroes and victims of WW2 and of many other war before, after, currently and in years to come.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 03:17:59 PM »

I started wearing mine this week. It’s pinned to my jacket. My Grandfather was killed in the Second World War. My other grandpa was a POW and barely escaped with his life. Thank you to all the veterans. I will not forget.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 03:20:15 PM by Wiseguy »

booters

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 03:56:43 PM »

Thank you every one, Appreciate it, My comments earlier were not only inferring to who my Uncle who lost his life. .I find  it discouraging to observe those who dont wear a poppy. Their choice but some what shameful i SAY. mY UNCLE I never knew, born 4 yrs later after 1941 ,was not even recognized in my thoughts many many years later. Now I have but also to those to served for our country,
Rememberence day I cherished

SuperBobby

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 05:00:09 PM »

I find  it discouraging to observe those who dont wear a poppy. Their choice but some what shameful i SAY.

No, my response was not ignorant, nor did anyone do something bad to may cereal.
Let me explain what you are doing here.
You are doing something called 'virtual signaling'
Basically it means you are forcing your beliefs and ideals (what is important to YOU)....onto EVERYONE else.

Don't do that. It's rude and unkind.
Do you want others to force their beliefs and ideals on you? I'm pretty sure you don't. Perhaps I will tell you what charities you should give to, and then when you disagree with me I will tell you how disappointed I am when you don't give to those charities.

Are you starting to see the problem with your position yet?

booters

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 05:00:44 PM »

When I was in Elementary school in the early 70's, poppies were handed out in class, each contributed what they could. For what it's worth, even though you don't see the numbers of poppy wearers as before, it's important to show support for those who gave their lives. We are free to have this discussion due to their sacrifice. To those that are on this forum who served, thank-you for your service.

booters

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 05:03:21 PM »

I recall that in the late 50s Maybe shud be carried on however its a new era. new breed. Not really right

roeman

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 05:46:32 PM »

No, my response was not ignorant, nor did anyone do something bad to may cereal.
Let me explain what you are doing here.
You are doing something called 'virtual signaling'
Basically it means you are forcing your beliefs and ideals (what is important to YOU)....onto EVERYONE else.

Don't do that. It's rude and unkind.
Do you want others to force their beliefs and ideals on you? I'm pretty sure you don't. Perhaps I will tell you what charities you should give to, and then when you disagree with me I will tell you how disappointed I am when you don't give to those charities.

Are you starting to see the problem with your position yet?
X2
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 05:49:17 PM by roeman »
Are you fishin or catchin