Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Salmon Tidal Fraser  (Read 4069 times)

Darko

• Old Timer
Coho Salmon Tidal Fraser
« on: November 14, 2021, 10:34:21 PM »

Hello everyone, with the tidal Fraser coho fishery starting tomorrow I wanted to make a post where I encourage anybody who manages to catch one to post their catch as I'm interested to see how many we see caught... Feel free to also post any bycatch such as trout or char. Thanks to anyone who participates in advance!
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: Coho Salmon Tidal Fraser
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 07:19:31 AM »

Nice to drive down and chuck spoons  however ,with the flooding now will turn the Fraser to mud . I think DFO timed it just right  ;).
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 07:26:12 AM »

Also , I don't see a bait ban . Unless I'm missing something . Like to dust off the bar fishing setup if bait is the ticket .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 07:48:42 AM »

Nice to drive down and chuck spoons  however ,with the flooding now will turn the Fraser to mud . I think DFO timed it just right  ;).
;D I think you may be right, and yes there's no bait ban.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 08:27:50 AM »

the river has gone up 2 meters plus and the graphs are at about a 90 degree angle. It could stay high for weeks depending on the temperature.

It's basically over by Nov 15th in any event. This high water will further encourage salmon to hurry upstream.  Best chance for a fish will be near the mouth of a stream or slough but you can imagine what that will be like.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

VictorBai

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2021, 12:44:43 PM »

I am not sure if people did go or didn't catch anything in the Tidal Fraser this week. I am planning on going to Dump Bar this weekend and this quite thread kind of worries me.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 02:28:41 PM »

I am not sure if people did go or didn't catch anything in the Tidal Fraser this week. I am planning on going to Dump Bar this weekend and this quite thread kind of worries me.

Casting spoons and spinners will be your best bet, there will still probably be lots of debris in the river. Visibility will also be poor I assume. If you catch a coho, I recommend getting a lottery ticket next. Other than that you might catch some trout or char which is all C&R, there is not very many hatchery trout but it is possible. I haven't gone out just because the opening was on the storm day and obviously it hasn't been ideal so far but I might head out this weekend either to foreshore park or delta idk I'll see.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 02:29:44 PM »

I assume lots of people haven't been going either in the last couple of days because of the stuff that's been going on.

Old Blue

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2021, 04:01:33 PM »

IMHO they should shut down everything in the river with the exception of sturgeon until fry have emerged in the spring after this high water event.

VictorBai

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2021, 05:59:33 PM »

Went to dump bar this morning, totally not fishable. Nowhere to stand and lots of debris and logs near shore.

Then went to Dyke Road. It was better but the visibility was near nil. Tried casting spinner for a bit then got very cold so changed to bar fishing setup. Fished for like 1 hours with no sign of fish.

This was my first time to try bar fishing and I like it. So I started wondering why no one use bar fishing in the Vedder? It seem to be a very good technique. When float fishing, the biggest challenge to me was to set proper float length so that the presentation could be in the strike zone. But it is hard to measure how deep the water is, thus no way to accurately set the float length if we are measuring from water surface. But if we start from the bottom, we can always accurately keep the presentation in our desired length above the ground.

Is it becasue with that density of salmon in the Vedder, this method could easily snag them?

Morty

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 06:40:31 PM »

We should just leave them alone this year and let the few remaining fish help to replace the redds that were washed away last weekend.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 07:01:15 PM »

Went to dump bar this morning, totally not fishable. Nowhere to stand and lots of debris and logs near shore.

Then went to Dyke Road. It was better but the visibility was near nil. Tried casting spinner for a bit then got very cold so changed to bar fishing setup. Fished for like 1 hours with no sign of fish.

This was my first time to try bar fishing and I like it. So I started wondering why no one use bar fishing in the Vedder? It seem to be a very good technique. When float fishing, the biggest challenge to me was to set proper float length so that the presentation could be in the strike zone. But it is hard to measure how deep the water is, thus no way to accurately set the float length if we are measuring from water surface. But if we start from the bottom, we can always accurately keep the presentation in our desired length above the ground.

Is it becasue with that density of salmon in the Vedder, this method could easily snag them?

I think the snagging is definitely a part of it. Also depending on the spot the bottom can be snaggy as well. Bar fishing is more common on the fraser (tidal & fresh). Also I guess floating presentations downstream is a bit more realistic and similar to eggs flowing downstream naturally which most presentations are trying to imitate. I am going to checkout foreshore park tmr. I know a spot where it's a sandy bottom but I need to see if anything has changed since.

VictorBai

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 07:11:39 PM »

I am going to checkout foreshore park tmr. I know a spot where it's a sandy bottom but I need to see if anything has changed since.

Gook luck fishing and keep warm!

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 05:35:40 PM »

Gook luck fishing and keep warm!

Here's my report from today, I fished high tide around burnaby/new west and didn't see any debris really floating downriver. My spot doesn't seem to be infested in snags like I thought it might. I fished lures for an hour to no avail. Following that, I bar fished with roe also to no avail. Saw one coho and one bull trout jump though. Coho was too far to cast to too. Nothing was flooded and river was at normal levels for hightide. Visibility was very poor however, more than usual. I'm assuming it was probably close to 5 cm. After I went to como and fished half the lake but also skunked  :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:04:55 PM by Darko »

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 07:02:54 PM »

Here's my report from today, I fished high tide around burnaby/new west and didn't see any debris really floating downriver. My spot doesn't seem to be infested in snags like I thought it might. I fished lures for an hour to no avail. Following that, I bar fished with roe also to no avail. Saw one coho and one bull trout jump though. Coho was too far is cast too. Nothing was flooded and river was at normal levels for hightide. Visibility was very poor however, more than usual. I'm assuming it was probably close to 5 cm. After I went to como and fished half the lake but also skunked  :P

Seen a salmon jumping is not too bad.