Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020/21 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 20394 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....

Well, after years and years I guess I'm back... nice having some time to fish again. After losing 4 in the last few days in various spots, apparently due to me still using my Coho lines.... I upped to 15lb main thanks to a quick Spool from Rodney and 12lb leader last night to hit the flow again this morning after a little sleep in.... And found this beauty shortly after wetting the line.  Weighed in at 11.90lb bled at Fred's.... Nice to finally get that first one actually landed lol
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:02:23 PM by Rodney »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

River colored up this afternoon. The upper was unfishable. Thinking another chunk of clay from Ranger run has fallen into the river. Very frustrating. Above the slide the water is clear.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

Nice Chromer Big Steel! :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Big Steel and I fished the mid river this morning for a few hours and water clarity is excellent. We finished just after Noon when it started snowing/raining.

Also...

An angler has lost his fishing vest in the lower river today. It is a brown steelhead vest by Complete Angler. brown nylon with some extra sewing. The vest contains pliers, sissors in the inside pouches, as well as 3 bags containing cork boards with jigs and split shots tied up, cork floats. There are also two tubs of roe (pink coloured spring roe and orange coloured steelhead roe). It was lost around Peach Road area. If recovered, please message me and I will put you in touch with the owner.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Dam! Yesterday was silty. The only day I was able to get out this week and the water clarity was not good. That about sums up my season so far.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:43:54 PM by Wiseguy »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Conditions were fine again today. Reasonably clear in the upper, and a bit siltier below.

Rain is coming...

jim

visibility declined to about 12 inches Sunday, early afternoon. It was okay 24" vis in the morning. Crossing area.
Monday it is up in level about 13 inches, with the same vis.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

River is up way today. Looks like thick pea soup my grandma used to make. Throw in a smoked ham hock and you got yourself a good meal.  ;D . Saw nobody fishing around the crossing when I had a look this afternoon.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 04:17:31 PM by Wiseguy »

jim

Visibility has returned to a much better degree.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

River conditions were great today, catching was not so great. ;D

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Great conditions. I actually saw a fish caught today for the first time this winter by another angler. Not going to say where. Even saw Rod today with the large moby net strapped to his back on the other side of the river from where I was! Saw Nick Bassock yesterday with a tube on his back so I now know I’m in the right area of the river!  ;D

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

I’m hearing there was a major chunk of clay fell into the river at Ranger run. Can anyone give an up to date river condition report? Thank you

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

A big chunk fell down late thir morning and the river has been unfishable since. This is how the water looked around 3pm today.

Here is the slide.

I wouldn't come out here for awhile.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Wow! Thanks for the report Rod. It looks like the island is covered by the mud slide blocking off that far side channel. It’s unbelievable. This cannot be good for the eggs laying in the gravel. And the fry starting to emerge from the gravel. I saw some fry swimming around the shore where I was fishing last time I was out on Friday.  :'(