Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2020/21 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 20281 times)

jim

I have been fishing the lower river this week. I have not heard or seen a fish since Monday. A steady parade of anglers yesterday.
Maybe with the big tides and full moon some new fish will come in?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer

Rain on the way. Seems like this yr so far the bite has been on when the river is coloured up. Beautiful conditions this week and the fishing in my travels was painfully slow. Not much for weigh ins to Fred’s as well this week. Let’s hope for a few more fish in the river next week.

iblly

• Old Timer

I fished Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Never touched a fish and never saw a fish caught. Lots of guys out there.

bobby b

Got to the river yesterday morning at 8:00am ... only to see a guy walking out with a nice Hatch. Fished all day and nothing for me ...again!

Hopefully Feb will a bit better ... fingers crossed!

jim

saturday afternoon, I saw a young guy get his first steelhead, It was wild.
the river has risen from 1.6 meters to 1.724 meters and was a milky colour on sunday afternoon, crossing bridge area.
about 2 feet vis.

Dylb

saturday afternoon, I saw a young guy get his first steelhead, It was wild.

Lets all take a moment to appreciate this pun

milo

• Old Timer

Lets all take a moment to appreciate this pun

It's neither the time nor the plaice for this. ;)

clarki

• Old Timer

Yeah, that pun floundered

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Good conditions this morning, but that wind and temperature made the experience a little miserable.... ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

A 12lb wild doe for the hatchery broodstock program yesterday. They are now more than halfway through the collection for this season.

Um, it's cold today. ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

I managed to finally pop down to the river for the first time this season, just very briefly for an hour before dark. The river was pretty quiet after a busy morning (from the reports I got anyway) so had multiple runs to choose from. Somehow I picked the right one, because the float got completely buried on the second cast.

This wild doe roughly around 10lb had all kinds of scratches on both sides. I snapped this photo just before letting her go from the Moby net. After seeing how scratched up she was, I didn't really want to fish anymore and it was starting to get dark, so I packed it up and went home for dinner. ;D It was a very satisfied outing to get my season started. ;)

River conditions were great. Level has dropped a lot since last week and it's getting pretty clear, but that shall change as the rain comes later this week.

typhoon

• Old Timer

Nice doe. Talons will really do a number on them in low water.

spoiler

more likely seal marks

bobby b

I managed to finally pop down to the river for the first time this season, just very briefly for an hour before dark. The river was pretty quiet after a busy morning (from the reports I got anyway) so had multiple runs to choose from. Somehow I picked the right one, because the float got completely buried on the second cast.

This wild doe roughly around 10lb had all kinds of scratches on both sides. I snapped this photo just before letting her go from the Moby net. After seeing how scratched up she was, I didn't really want to fish anymore and it was starting to get dark, so I packed it up and went home for dinner. ;D It was a very satisfied outing to get my season started. ;)
River conditions were great. Level has dropped a lot since last week and it's getting pretty clear, but that shall change as the rain comes later this week.

Congrats.
2nd cast too..... Lucky you!

After about 20 outings so far this season (including yesterday) I have had zero Steelhead ...not even a tug!
I have fished, Beads, Cured Roe, Roe bags, Jigs, Pink Worms, Blades etc... Covered lots of water each outing....  Upper river, Mid River, Lower River
Nothing ..... but freezing fingers for me.

I obviously just suck at Steelheading.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod

Congrats.
2nd cast too..... Lucky you!

Luck?? ;D

Yeah... Just drifting through at the right place at the right time because others I know had fished through there all day and found nothing. :D

This morning we spent a few hours trying to film some more broodstock collecting, but no luck.... Water silted up quite a bit overnight, visibility was around 2ft when we started but has gradually cleared up since.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:03:12 PM by Rodney »