Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sockeye efforts on the Coquitlam  (Read 5613 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Sockeye efforts on the Coquitlam
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 03:18:59 PM »

Another point is Pitt sockeye have been enhanced for years and are far from what most consider wild.  They are large because their population is comprised of more 5 year olds than other sockeye stocks; the disease you mention is a virus, IHN, which had not (not sure if this is still the case) been detected in Pitt sockeye.

This Coquitlam project has potential, imo.  If numbers return to the river, perhaps some effort will be made to get the fish over the dam and into the lake.

I'm all for these types of projects ... we need to start thinking outside the box on so many fishery issues; time for innovation.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 04:00:27 PM »

Ive read the article but maybe someone could clarify what the purpose of the sockeye hatchery is going to serve?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 04:06:19 PM »

From what I understand, Weaver Creek sockeye young don't reside and grow in Morris Lake. They actually swim down to the Harrison then up into Harrison lake which for them is their freshwater habitat until they grown big enough to head out to the sea. F

Weaver Creek sockeye are a remarkable example of unique genetic programming. After hatching, most stocks of sockeye fry migrate downstream to rear in their nursery lake for a year. But the Weaver Creek sockeye head downstream through Weaver/Morris to the confluence of the Harrison River,  then hang a left and head upstream to Harrison Lake. Remarkable...       

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 05:02:34 PM »

Another point is Pitt sockeye have been enhanced for years and are far from what most consider wild.  They are large because their population is comprised of more 5 year olds than other sockeye stocks; the disease you mention is a virus, IHN, which had not (not sure if this is still the case) been detected in Pitt sockeye.

This Coquitlam project has potential, imo.  If numbers return to the river, perhaps some effort will be made to get the fish over the dam and into the lake.

I'm all for these types of projects ... we need to start thinking outside the box on so many fishery issues; time for innovation.

I think the damming of the Cap, Seymour, Coquitlam and Alouette were disasters for the Lower Mainland salmon and steelhead. One could add the Stave though I don't really known what sort of fish stocks existed above the Ruskin Dam (word has it there were summer steelhead) but there was apparently no fish access past Stave Falls. Much of the habitat above the dams is now underwater in all those systems. Still I'd favour whatever could be reasonably done to establish some salmon returns above the dams on the Coquitlam and the Alouette. The Alouette seems to be getting a sufficient number of adult sockeye back to make a recovery of some sort possible and attempts to reintroduce coho above the Coquitlam are underway.

While concerns over water quality is important, the practice here of shuttering the watersheds for a water source is not all that common. In New York State all the water reservoirs are public, or so I understand. In the long run we people here will have to live with lower water quality at the tap or use much less water. Our population growth here will make this inevitable.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »

They can do all they want with hatcheries on the Coquitlam but when the fish have to migrate and live in that river they dont have a chance with all the siltation going on.
Take a drive up Pipeline Road after or during a rain and see for yourself what the problem is.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 08:00:48 PM »

They can do all they want with hatcheries on the Coquitlam but when the fish have to migrate and live in that river they dont have a chance with all the siltation going on.
Take a drive up Pipeline Road after or during a rain and see for yourself what the problem is.
The long term plan, imo, is to get fish into the lake where any progeny would rear for a least one year.  The river is simply a conduit for sockeye migration.

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 07:06:22 AM »

I think the damming of the Cap, Seymour, Coquitlam and Alouette were disasters for the Lower Mainland salmon and steelhead. One could add the Stave though I don't really known what sort of fish stocks existed above the Ruskin Dam (word has it there were summer steelhead) but there was apparently no fish access past Stave Falls. Much of the habitat above the dams is now underwater in all those systems. Still I'd favour whatever could be reasonably done to establish some salmon returns above the dams on the Coquitlam and the Alouette. The Alouette seems to be getting a sufficient number of adult sockeye back to make a recovery of some sort possible and attempts to reintroduce coho above the Coquitlam are underway.

While concerns over water quality is important, the practice here of shuttering the watersheds for a water source is not all that common. In New York State all the water reservoirs are public, or so I understand. In the long run we people here will have to live with lower water quality at the tap or use much less water. Our population growth here will make this inevitable.

I find the upper Stave very interesting. I know Hydro claims that fish passage was impossible before the dam but I just don't believe that. There was at one point in time passable water. How else on Earth did the Bulls, Crayfish, Pikeminnow and White Fish get to be in that lake ? I know they did stock Stave with Kokanee, Cutthroat and Rainbows but did it have a natural occurrence of Kokanee ? Hydro claims there is no spawning grounds suitable for salmon but the Kokanee do just fine in Winslow creek and Winslow lake.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »

Circa 1919

THE STAVE RIVER
This river is crossed by the C. P. R. just where it runs into
the Fraser. The station of Ruskin, where there is a boarding
house, is right at the bridge, about one and a half hours from
Vancouver. It can also be reached by motor car from Van
couver, the road being quite good.
This is quite a good-sized river. It runs from Stave Lake
about twelve miles up stream. For a mile up from the mouth the water is slightly tidal and the fishing is principally confined to trolling and bait fish
ing. By the latter method very good baskets are to be had, by those who care about taking them in this way, right where it
joins the Fraser. By trolling in May an occasional spring
salmon may be hooked. After you get out of the tidal water, you reach one or two
splendid pieces of water. Then you must walk over the canyon,
through which the river passes. After that you will find more good water at intervals up to the falls, some six miles. Above the falls the fish are small until you reach the lake.
The Stave River has the great advantage of always being
clear. It is one of the finest steelhead rivers in the Province
for the man who has grit enough to fish in cold weather. To
get the best steelheads you should fish in January and Febru ary; they ran in March also, but only in limited numbers and
many you catch would be out of condition.
110 ROD & CREEL
It is a good river to fish for steelheads with a fly. Use one
either a Grouse and Claret or Jock Scott.
In July and August some good fly fishing can often be had.
The best flies are Tippet and Yellow, Tippet and Green, Royal
Coachman, Teal and Green, Cow Dung, and Blue Doctor; some times also the Stone Fly.

STAVE LAKE
This is a big lake some ten miles long and from one to two
wide. It is best reached by auto from Mission Junction, a
drive of over fifteen miles on a poor road. It can also be reached from Ruskin by trail.
There is no accommodation on the lake. It is an ideal place
for a week's camping. The fishing is principally confined to
trolling, but there are a number of creeks emptying into the
lake where big rainbows can be taken on the fly. The best of these creeks is the one that runs in near the outlet. May is
the best month for this creek.
There are also several smaller lakes which can be easily
reached by trail, some of thein are full of trout from a half to
three-quarter pounds which will take the fly readily.
The best flies are the Montreal, Grouse and Claret, March
Brown and all the Teals.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:04:49 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2020, 10:26:28 AM »

Kind of amazing to think about it. I met Earl Anderson a time or 2 in mid 80s who was one of the few anglers still alive that had fished the Stave before Ruskin dam was built. At the time daily catches of 20 to 30 cutthroat were common.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2020, 10:51:28 AM »

Good question. It's been trialed on the  Alouette.

I read this on the ARMS website "The viability and authenticity of kokanee smolt “re-anadromization” is dependent on the stocks ability to adapt to salt water conditions, to adopt behavioural strategies to compete and avoid predation in an ocean environment, and to recognize and return to their native lake/stream system to spawn. "

https://fwcp.ca/project/monitoring-sockeye-in-the-alouette-river-watershed/
And this " Originally, through BC Hydro’s Water Use Plan for the Alouette Watershed, a spring surface release from the Alouette Dam has allowed for kokanee/sockeye smolts to migrate to the ocean from 2007 to 2016. The first surface releases occurred in 2005 and in 2007 the first adult sockeye returned to the Alouette Watershed. The 2016 Alouette sockeye salmon run saw 6 adults returning between July 19 and August 7, 2016. All six sockeye were in great condition and were sampled at the Allco trap location before being transported to Alouette Lake. Fork length measurements for all six sockeye were taken along with scale and tissue samples. The measurements indicated an average fork length of 60cm."

And from the report "A total of 318 adult sockeye returned to the Allco fish fence during the 2007–2016 runs, of which 268 have been successfully released back into the Alouette Lake Reservoir since 2007. Although the number of total adult sockeye returns is low, the data shows that re-anadromization of kokanee/sockeye to the Alouette watershed is possible"

This is from 4 years ago https://www.tricitynews.com/local-news/group-hopes-to-bolster-coquitlam-river-sockeye-3040039

it sounds like they did release 5k kokanee from the lake

"Last fall, the group collected and fertilized 5,000 lake kokanee [which have similar DNA to the migrating sockeye] for raising to the smolt stage at the Rosewall Creek Hatchery on Vancouver Island.

The goal is to release the juvenile salmon at the base of the Coquitlam dam next spring and, if they can make their way to the ocean — imprinting the taste and smell of the creek along the way — these specially-raised salmon should return to the Coquitlam River in greater numbers than have been seen in a generation.

"This is very exciting — we did this to bolster the population. We're hoping with even low [ocean] survival we're going to get some of these smolts," said Orr, who added that he'd like to see salmon return in the 100 to 200 range, which would be "spectacular."

However, the group is also working with another challenge: finding a way to get salmon smolts to migrate out of the Coquitlam Lake reservoir. Orr said tiny fish are failing to find the small outlet in the dam, some may be diverted to a pipe to Buntzen Lake, while others may not be surviving the migration through the outlet."

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2020, 10:54:35 AM »

It sounds like the use of kokanee was not very successful. They hoped to get anywhere from 50-200 to return in 2019 and 2020 

https://watershedwatch.ca/eagerly-awaiting-the-return-of-the-red-fish-an-interview-with-craig-orr/

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2020, 11:43:53 AM »

After you get out of the tidal water, you reach one or two splendid pieces of water. Then you must walk over the canyon, through which the river passes.
I would have like to have seen those splendid pieces of water.

I didn't know there was a canyon under Hayward Lake. Looked on a chart...there it is!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »

I saw a piece of it once. Before there was a park at the North End of the lake there was a short access road and a rough boat launch. At the time trout fishing was pretty good in the lake particularly in the outflow from the dam and behind any current breaks in the channel. We fished it in June and 1st half of July. Once we came for a day of fishing and they must have been doing work on Ruskin Dam because the top end of Harward was dry and there a 60 foot drop to a rushing river right below the boat launch. That drop off just a few yards out from the launch site was much deeper than we imagined!