Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Avet Reels  (Read 3003 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Avet Reels
« on: November 29, 2020, 08:44:28 PM »

Thinking of getting me Dad an Avet reel for Xmas. I'm sure there are other comparable brands, but he likes Avet, so I plan to stick with this brand. Was just on their website. Wow. A LOT of different models, and price points from 300ish to 1000ish. If I'm going to be dropping this much coin I need to make sure it's a home run. Hoping for some help from the FWR community.

Reel will be used for halibut fishing only. No casting, just lowering gear and jigging. Weight is not a big factor. Definitely want lever drag, not star drag. Would rather err on the side of too big rather than too small. The 6/3 looks about right on their website, 5/3 maybe a bit too small (?) I'm aware that some models have 2 speeds, I think this would be a nice feature. On their website some even have 3 speeds! I think this is overkill. 2 speeds should be more than adequate.

Also I'd really like to find a store in the lower mainland that has a decent stock of Avets and knowledgeable staff who can help me make the right choice. On their website they do not have any dealers listed for Canada. Dont really feel comfortable ordering one online and possibly making the wrong choice.

redside1

Re: Avet Reels
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 08:27:22 AM »

Try Calling Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo. Not on the lower mainland but they do carry and sell Avet reels for Halibut fishing.
They also usually have excellent pricing.
Might be your best option

4x4

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 08:32:05 AM »

Try Calling Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo. Not on the lower mainland but they do carry and sell Avet reels for Halibut fishing.
They also usually have excellent pricing.
Might be your best option

I agree.
Been buying my Sturgeon gear from them for years. By far the best pricing I've found. They sell a lot of Halibut gear and will be helpful for sure.

Good luck.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 08:43:08 AM »

Thanks guys. I'm going to do a bit of calling around today and see if Searun or Fred's or whoever stocks Avets. Would really like to see the size in person and play with them a bit. If no luck I'll call Harbour Chandler.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 10:33:15 AM »

I’ve had Avets for years and love them ! I have the HXW two speed and guided with them for halibut for a while and had very few problems.

Pacific Net and Twine in steveston have a good selection of them and the staff are very helpful
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Diogenes

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »

I have two Avets that I use in Haida Gwaii and have had very good performance from both.  My favorite is the HXW5/2 Raptor with 100 lb braid on a relatively heavy rod. The other is the somewhat smaller / lighter LX6/3 G2 with 80 lb braid that I use on a lighter rod for jigging ling cod, but I have caught halibut up to 100 lb on this reel as well. I'm sure your dad would be happy with either.

Buy local if you can find what you want in size, model and color.  I got mine from Nikka quite a few years ago, but they had to order the model / color that I wanted. If not available, try the Charkbait website in California (https://charkbait.com/brand/avet/) as they have a wide selection available at 10% to 20% off right now.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 04:17:16 PM »

Good info, thanks a lot for the replies. Have not had a chance to call around yet but will try to tomorrow.

While we are on the topic...I'm also thinking of buying my dad a new halibut rod to go with the new reel. Most of his rods and reels are Okuma or similar entry level crap.

I'm looking at the Gloomis HLBR 72-50 C. It is 6 feet, one piece (duh), heavy power, fast action, 40-60 ln line rating. Anyone have any experience with this rod? It is marketed by Gloomis as their "halibut rod." It even has a nice looking halibut painted onto the blank.

spoiler

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »

go on the sportfishing BC forum saltwater there's a lot of guys on there using Avet Reels

randya

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 05:44:20 PM »

It wouldn’t hurt to talk to Fred himself if he is in town. Having fished in Cabo myself occasionally, Fred  is there quite regularly and would be using 2 speed reels to haul in those large yellowfin etc. I know Avets are very popular on the long range tuna boats out of San Diego. He could help you pick the right size and
Setup required for your needs.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 06:28:40 PM »

Went to Pacific Net and Twine in Steveston the other day. Staff member Derek was super helpful. I spent probably close to an hour looking at different Avet reels, asking questions, got it down to to the LX 6/3 and the bigger HX 5/2 (both 2 speed). Derek and I agreed that the LX would be more than adequate, but for the size/power of the rod it would be going on, the LB test braid my dad would likely be running on the reel, and a few other factors, that the HX was the better choice.
Going to give him this reel for xmas and a new halibut rod for his bday in February, a Gloomis HLBR72-50C.
Thanks for all that provided info, was very helpful.

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 04:12:32 PM »

I think that’s the narrower version of what I have with the same gearing, you will not be disappointed ! We used to use high gear for bringing gear up for bait checks or to clear a rod and low gear for winching up a big fish. We would often dredge up 100lb+ halis from 600+’ deep. If you fish it next to a cheaper reel, you’ll notice the difference in the drag smoothness immediately ! I believe the drag disc is at least double the size.
Avet will also service your reels fully if you’re willing to send them to their ship in California and return them good as new.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote