Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sea Lions  (Read 3590 times)

nosey

Sea Lions
« on: November 23, 2018, 07:50:51 AM »

Is it just me or does anybody else think it's a tad ludicrous to be shutting down salmon fisheries to protect killer whales while we protect 50,000 sea lions that are eating tons of whale food every day. If those things were rats or locusts or any other kind of vermin we would be looking at ways to control their numbers, why are they protected.untill they are at plague like population levels?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Sea Lions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 01:03:05 PM »

Is it just me or does anybody else think it's a tad ludicrous to be shutting down salmon fisheries to protect killer whales while we protect 50,000 sea lions that are eating tons of whale food every day. If those things were rats or locusts or any other kind of vermin we would be looking at ways to control their numbers, why are they protected.untill they are at plague like population levels?

plague like population levels?
Hardly, get the facts not crap:

https://youtu.be/9Zz8aEAg7dI

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TacoChris

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 03:26:33 PM »

Thanks RalphH for the link to this presentation everyone should watch it. Changed my thoughts on a few issues but also confirmed my opinion on many  including how overblown the panic over the Southern resident Orca is. I was fully aware there numbers where never high.  Science is a a great thing when used properly.

Be careful what you do. At one time DFO had an eradication program for Basking Sharks. This included slicing them in half with boats or just ramming them  It was even suggested this had something to do with saving salmon but was really about the fact they where a problem to fisherman's nets.  Now you would be lucky to even see one.  At one time they where common and at up to 30 feet long and spending much of there life surface feeding they where not hard to see. I have only seen one despite spending a large portion of my younger years on the water. If a seal cull is justified it need to be done under close supervision of scientists not a wild slaughter like was done in the past.

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 07:52:52 PM »

Dead is Good!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »

they also had an eradication program for Killer Whales. Back in the late 60s and in the 70s when killer whales in BC were caught for sale to aquariums most of the whales trapped had healed bullet wounds and were likely shot by commercial fishermen and possibly sport anglers as well. I knew commercial fishermen who said most boats captains had a hunting rifle on board to shoot marine mammals.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 09:00:19 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

jim

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »

yes. there are so many now that they are at plague like levels. They live at the marina, more than one, propel thenselves onto the wharf if a fish is laid down, and have been known to bite kids. You can't go anywhere without seeing numerous harbour seals. Wish Van Aquarium would stop their rescues, over population attempts. The big Sea Lions are out of control also. are tourists going to be happy with seals everywhere? I know I am not!