Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For those in the know. Will socks open?  (Read 31310 times)

fish bonk

For those in the know. Will socks open?
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »

Trying to figure out if we will get a crack at them this ear. Either in the Ocean or the river.

ynot

• Old Timer
Re: For those in the know. Will socks open?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »

all depends on the summer run size,wont know for another week.its always possible we might get a week of fishing mid august.

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »

Maybe, but doubtful, last cycle for this year ended up way under the expected return, but hey next year is the cycle from the 30 plus million that returned so we will see. Maybe by next week DFO will have a better idea of the numbers. From the numbers I am seeing and hearing about they seem quite low. Should just let them go up to do their business and then the next cycle around would hopefully be much healthier.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:40:04 PM »

Maybe, but doubtful, last cycle for this year ended up way under the expected return, but hey next year is the cycle from the 30 plus million that returned so we will see. Maybe by next week DFO will have a better idea of the numbers. From the numbers I am seeing and hearing about they seem quite low. Should just let them go up to do their business and then the next cycle around would hopefully be much healthier.

I'm all for that Mikeyman, just leave them be for one season. We had a super long opening last year and although all my sockey is long gone I don't mind missing one season, especially in a down year.

tfishy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »

numbers are low in the test fisheries, they may open it if numbers increase but are having a hard time because the river is so high. next year's cycle is from 2009 the lowest return that caused the cohen inquiry.  the 30+million cycle that happened in 2010 will return in 2014.  

top fuel

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:28:35 PM »

didnt they say same thing last year about how little is predicted and look how many came threw

tfishy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »

they provide predictions in % probability. last year for sockeye was from as little as 2.6mil - 9mil+ and the end result was around 4.6mil.  Same goes with the pink last year the range was 12mil-25mil and ended up being around 17.5mil.  DFO to be honesy can only guess at what will come back no science will figure out what nature has in store.  its just a waiting game.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »

I agree with the closure if the fish stock is low. Hope DFO don't open it even for a week just to get the license revenue. Every fish is important when the cyele is low. They should consider shutting down FN too. Friends already told me about the back lane 'food fish' trucks.  ;D But when fish survival is at stake, all user groups should stop for the fish's sake.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 09:10:31 PM »

when fish survival is at stake, all user groups should stop for the fish's sake.

x2
A rig out of water catches no fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Will Sockeye Open On The Fraser River?
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 08:05:37 AM »

I would hazard to say no, looking at the returns to date.

Also will the unusual high water for this time of year have a bearing too with it being more treacherous than usual as this fishery draws a lot of people that take chances trying to cross side channels to reach some bars.

Note, Peg Leg Bar access road is still blocked.

Robert_G

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 08:43:39 AM »

But when fish survival is at stake, all user groups should stop for the fish's sake.

Funny how the native sockeye reports have documented over 45000 fish caught so far for food and ceremonial purposes. I wonder how many haven't been reported.
Not to mention.....I didn't know that food and ceremonial purposes involved selling them out of the back of a truck. Natives selling sockeye this summer is running rampant. I supposes when family members are used to knowing someone who BBs for them, that this year they aren't getting any.....so they buy them from the natives. What a joke.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »

if the summer run is over 1.5 million then we have a chance of getting some , panel is meeting today so numbers might be available later today.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »

Heard on the news yesterday that this sockeye run is a little stronger than originally predicted. The spokesman said that there is possibility of an opportunity for commercial and sportsmen for their fair share

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 01:17:53 PM »

Heard on the news yesterday that this sockeye run is a little stronger than originally predicted. The spokesman said that there is possibility of an opportunity for commercial and sportsmen for their fair share

Nice, thanks for the post! :)
A rig out of water catches no fish.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »

the panel says the summer run is nr. to forcast abundance levels.  looks like a sports opening coming in a week or so.