Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AB0RIGINAL SOCKEYE HARVEST ON CHILLIWACK/VEDDER  (Read 6990 times)

buck

AB0RIGINAL SOCKEYE HARVEST ON CHILLIWACK/VEDDER
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:18:29 AM »

Once again DFO has opened the door for another controversial fishery on one of the heaviest fished rivers in BC. This fishery will most likely take place the last two weeks of July to harvest a surplus of Chilliwack lake sockeye using dip and seine nets. From what sketchy information is available the opening will be from the confluence of the Sumas river upstream to Chilliwack lake. Water conditions at this time are not suitable for either of these methods and hopefully will stay that way.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Re: AB0RIGINAL SOCKEYE HARVEST ON CHILLIWACK/VEDDER
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:45:20 PM »

Nice!
 :oWhat else is on the agenda, Mr Harper??

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »

I have no problem with natives taking first crack at surplus fish (it is the law of the land) but is there really a surplus of Sockeye on the Vedder?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »

The brood year was an estimated 60k, the highest ever measured by far.  I think the question is how many will return from that huge spawning as Chilliwack Lake is not very productive, compared to say Cultus or Shuswap.  Outgoing smolt enumerations from that brood were not done but I believe hydroacoustic estimates of population densities were ... but I don't have that data.
DFO has been attempting to install an electronic counter at the outlet but has been hampered by high water; best they can do and are doing at the present time is bridge counts. 

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

buck

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 06:11:45 PM »

troutbreath, dfo's secret fish model is now out. Made me laugh.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 06:49:57 PM »

http://www.primarygames.com/math/fishycount/index.htm
I didn't play your game troutbreath but I bet I know the outcome :D
Counting migrating fish is tough; counting them under adverse conditions like the present high and turbid water at Chilliwack Lake makes the job harder.  Add in budget cuts and the lack of trained people… the fact DFO has people counting fish from the outlet bridge enumerating the first migrants of this run, before the water drops enough to install the electronic equipment, shows me they understand the importance of this very unique population.
The migration timing of these fish, pretty much the same as Early Stuarts, and the potential FN fishery and with all that may entail will make the assessment of this stock pretty important.
Personally, I'm not sure where I stand with this fishery but a past supervisor of mine pushed for it years ago for a few reasons 1) the fact the majority of fish spawn in Washington State, a transboundary stock, something DFO has traditionally non-managed, 2) the stock has virtually no impact from other harvesters, 3) hardly anyone in BC knows anything about it, and 4)  an aggressive Sto-Lo Tribal Council argument for a fishery in their traditional territory. 
Buck is probably right that no harvest will occur due to the high water but I think this sort of in river selective fishery will be much more common in the future.

dnibbles

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »

I didn't play your game troutbreath but I bet I know the outcome :D
Counting migrating fish is tough; counting them under adverse conditions like the present high and turbid water at Chilliwack Lake makes the job harder.  Add in budget cuts and the lack of trained people… the fact DFO has people counting fish from the outlet bridge enumerating the first migrants of this run, before the water drops enough to install the electronic equipment, shows me they understand the importance of this very unique population.
The migration timing of these fish, pretty much the same as Early Stuarts, and the potential FN fishery and with all that may entail will make the assessment of this stock pretty important.
Personally, I'm not sure where I stand with this fishery but a past supervisor of mine pushed for it years ago for a few reasons 1) the fact the majority of fish spawn in Washington State, a transboundary stock, something DFO has traditionally non-managed, 2) the stock has virtually no impact from other harvesters, 3) hardly anyone in BC knows anything about it, and 4)  an aggressive Sto-Lo Tribal Council argument for a fishery in their traditional territory. 
Buck is probably right that no harvest will occur due to the high water but I think this sort of in river selective fishery will be much more common in the future.

Bang on Dave. Given the inertia that typically pervades DFO, the fact that this new project was implemented this year on short notice in response to the expected large escapement is impressive. Even more so given the adverse environmental conditions.

As for the fishery, I don't think I have an issue, as long as managers are certain that the expected run materializes before fishing starts. Realistically, a first year pilot project won't likely make much of a dent in this population, but the optics may  not be good if the communication package isn't put in place first. I'd rather have the boys dip netting in the Vedder than drift netting the Fraser and picking up other weaker co-migrating stocks.

I was on the helicopter flights counting that run in 2008. I'll see if I can dig up any of the pics. It was pretty incredible to see in that lower stretch of creek below the border.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 08:00:16 PM »

Probably just as well that they target the river above any side streams that have weaker runs in them. I do remember seeing the Sockeye in Post creek way back and wonder if they still show up there. I also caught one trolling a plug on a downrigger in Chilliwack lake in April or May which really blew me away with surprise. I just wonder how much is known about where these Sockeye spawn.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

dnibbles

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »

Some spawn deep in Chilliwack Lake, but the majority most years spawn in the upper river above the lake. They go all the way up to Indianpoint Creek, in Washington state. But don't tell the yanks, or they'll be claiming their fair share in the JDF fisheries.

That's really interesting that you got one that early in the year. I would expect some to make the lake in June, but the odd eager fish may scoot up earlier too I guess.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »

I was in the upper river today and it's high; real high. 
Can't see many fish harvested by dip netting or seining for quite a while.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 10:15:45 PM »

I was in the upper river today and it's high; real high. 
Can't see many fish harvested by dip netting or seining for quite a while.
Drift nets. :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »

Meeting on this tonight at the Sumas Band office.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »

If you are fishing the Chilliwack/Vedder River starting tomorrow, please be aware of the followings.

A dip net fishery will take place from Vedder Crossing Bridge to the outlet of the Chilliwack Lake. This fishery will start tomorrow and will go for 6 days during daylight hours only.  A beach seine will take place below the train crossing bridge at Yarrow to the confluence into the Fraser River Mainstem. This fishery will be for two days starting tomorrow where most of the action should take place in the Vedder Canal. The current target is 15,000 Chilliwack Lake sockeye salmon.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 09:05:39 PM »

Thanks Rodney.  Is this notice posted on the DFO website?