Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burnaby central park  (Read 15799 times)

Sam6140

Re: Burnaby central park
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »

I was going to post that article too. lol   Well, yeah looks like someone dumped it in there from an aquarium.  Or someone is hoping that they these fish will basically multiply so they can grow, be caught, and eaten fresh. 

What I'm thinking is that wouldn't these fish die anyway once winter hits?  At least that helps, somewhat.  I'm pretty sure they require warmer water to survive.  And that pond ices over every winter.

Well guys, looks like we need a volunteer to try and fish it out.  lol   Who cares if you're not allowed to fish there.  You're doing the pond a favor by catching it.

noxcape

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »

Back in January I called fishers rapp line because I saw an ad on Craigslist about someone giving away two snakeheads or they would we dumped somewhere i got no response or answer and now this come
Up makes you really wonder

frozensalmon

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »

wonder how they taste 
might just catch them and ...

anyway I guess it's ok to kill these fish . well if i ever see one
according to wikipedia ,

Snakeheads can become invasive species and cause ecological damage because they are top-level predators, meaning they have no natural enemies outside of their native environment. Not only can they breathe atmospheric air, but they can also survive on land for up to four days, provided they are wet, and are known to migrate up to 1/4 mile on wet land to other bodies of water by wriggling with their body and fins. National Geographic has referred to snakeheads as "Fishzilla"[2][3][4] and the National Geographic Channel reports that the "northern snakehead reaches sexual maturity by age 2 or 3. Each spawning-age female can release up to 15,000 eggs at once. Snakeheads can mate as often as five times a year. This means in just two years, a single female can release up to 150,000 eggs."
more coho, more coho... ::)

frozensalmon

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 01:09:16 PM »

another news report
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120516/bc_snakehead_120516/20120516/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

apparently we should kill any snakefish once spot
they are threat to any freshwater fish including salmon!!  especially in fraser river we dont want to see big numbers of snakehead
unfortuanlly i think the population of these fish will increase in the next decade or so    they are in NA for some time

more coho, more coho... ::)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 01:38:43 PM »

Back in January I called fishers rapp line because I saw an ad on Craigslist about someone giving away two snakeheads or they would we dumped somewhere i got no response or answer and now this come

They say you can buy them live at T&T Market in Richmond. Why they would allow that I have no idea.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »

They say you can buy them live at T&T Market in Richmond. Why they would allow that I have no idea.

I haven't been to T&T for the longest time, but years ago they used to have tanks full of them.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »

Because they are not banned in Canada..

Fillibert

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 07:30:23 PM »

Someone should organize an outing where we can all stand shoulder to shoulder around the pond (take some pressure off the cap) and try to get that sucker out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 09:20:57 PM »

If everyone on the forum shows up, something like this could be accomplished quite easily...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Tc6ywqoL6o

rocky

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 12:16:18 AM »

bit of a trite reply from you rodney. i posted months back about snakeheads and the dangers of them getting into our system ... and inviting your input;
no response. so what is your position on this rodney?

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 01:32:14 AM »

If the fisheries, environment ministry as well as the city of burnaby approves of us fishing these suckers out, I'm more than willing to put the time in attempting to catch them. I'm sure a better method of electroshock or just poisoning the two ponds is a better idea especially if it's spawning season for these creatures. It's been stated that depending on the snakehead species, it can spawn from 2 to 4 times in a year. At 15,000 eggs per spawn, that's a pretty serious problem.

Do keep us posted if you hear from the regional officials, Rod. I'm sure a few from this forum will be more than willing to help out in anyway towards an attempt to eradicate this invasive species. Better now than be sorry later...
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sam6140

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 10:10:24 AM »

Do you remember where the seller was located?? If it was Burnaby or Vancouver, then it could quite possibly be the same person.   I hope no one has dumped them in say....Deer Lake.  since it's pretty close to Central Park.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »

FWIW an angler told me one was caught in Deer Lake last summer.

I don't think snakeheads are going to take over or start eating people cats and puppies