Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 Chum return numbers  (Read 22932 times)

bunnta

Re: Low chum numbers
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »

i left when i hooked into a fresh chum on sunday at the vedder. the coho bites just turned off after 10am, then i hook into a spring and next a chrome chum...no wonder the hoes we're not there. they got pushed out lol....chrome chum put up great fight!

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 04:16:57 PM »

chilliwack\vedder closed for chum retention today.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »

chilliwack\vedder closed for chum retention today.

Good.
Even if they are only late, it's better to err on the side of caution.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »

To be precise Chum retention on the Chilliwack was closed last Sunday.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2011 Chum return numbers
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 11:07:37 PM »

Here's a memo that was sent out tonight.

Returns of chum salmon to the South Coast area have been quite variable so far in 2011.   Estimates of abundance in Johnstone Strait have provided for opportunities for all sectors: First Nations, Recreational and Commercial. The Johnstone Strait fishery is a mixed stock fishery of fish returning to the Johnstone Strait area, the Georgia Strait, Washington State and the Fraser River. The percentage of Fraser River stocks contributing to this fishery ranges from week to week with Fraser stocks typically contributing more early in the season and dropping off from mid- to late-October. 

There are considerable uncertainties regarding Fraser River chum run strength at this time. Chum returns to the Fraser River are currently tracking below the identified escapement goal of 800,000 and information gathered from South Coast fisheries indicates that the run may be later than normal. 

As many of you are aware, there have been very good catches in Johnstone Strait this year, and the current Fraser chum estimate is not in line with what has been seen in the approach areas. This is most likely due either to lateness of the run, or to unusual stock composition in the Straits. To address the issue of stock composition, DNA samples from this year's Johnstone Strait test fishery have been submitted for analysis, with the results expected later this week. The DNA results will provide us information about what proportion of the mixed-stock run in the Straits can be attributed to Fraser chum, which will be helpful in determining whether the Fraser chum run is late, or weak.

The next update will be on Monday, October 24, 2011.   At this that time, we will have additional data from the Albion test fishery, as well as results from the Johnstone Strait DNA analysis.

Please note that the Lower Fraser Test Fishing Information line @ 604-666-6182 will be updated with current 2011 Albion Chum Test Fishery catch information or you can view the test fishing results at the following link:    http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/commercial/commercialalbionchum_e.htm

quill

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 06:57:34 AM »

Thanks Rod. Big difference between the way sockeye and chum are managed. When they open up numerous mixed stock fisheries there's going to be some weak stock casualties... like Thompson steelhead.

Silex-user

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:19 AM »

Fishing for coho back in 80's and 90's there were thousands and thousands of chum in most major hatchery produced rivers. I usually catch about 10-15 chums before I hook 1 coho. Gee, did I ever hated those chums back then. Now days with declining coho runs, I look forward in catching some fresh strong fighting chrome chums in one of the Zipper-mouth rivers in last decade. However, it sadden me  to see those rivers which I enjoy catching them are declining just like the coho too.

Nowadays, when I ever hook a chrome or booted chum or any another species of salmon I treat with  respect, care and gentle released in the water, unless it legal salmon which I intend to keep. 

I just hope that the chums will come back in strong numbers again.

Silex-user

buck

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »

One would think with declining chum salmon stocks that hatchery production would be increased to compensate for lack of wild production. Mismanagement of stocks by DFO and the lack of funding for hatcheries is starting to show big time. One example is the on going roe fishery for chums on the Fraser which is impacting chum production on the Harrison. Lots of males put few females.
At a time when we should be proactive DFO is now facing a 58 million dollar cut. Are we looking at another East coast scenario in the near future?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »

1493816 chum was released from Chilliwack hatchery for brood year '07 and not many show up.  For brood year '08 3461574 chum was released.  I wonder what is it going to be like for returning chum numbers in Chilliwack R. next year.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:36:03 AM by BwiBwi »

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 09:50:32 AM »

Well, I am not sure on the numbers on the Vedder system, but the Stave did pick up.

As of a week back, the numbers were quit dismal, but the past few days have been stellar so maybe (Fingers crossed) they really are just "Late"

I was out yesterday with a few buddies in a boat, we went to one of the Islands on the Stave and there were at least another 10 boats there (including at least 5 Guides) and it was awesome. It didn't matter if you threw a fly or gear, it was almost every cast, and I would say 60/40 Female/Male with many very nice clean fish.

My buddy has been on the Vedder system 7 days in the past 2 weeks and it does seem that the chum numbers are VERY low, maybe, just maybe they are late, but I really don't hold out my hope for that, as we all know, the north side runs are almost ALWAYS later than the South side, and it does seem that the north side is really starting to get some numbers.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »

Well, I am not sure on the numbers on the Vedder system, but the Stave did pick up.

As of a week back, the numbers were quit dismal, but the past few days have been stellar so maybe (Fingers crossed) they really are just "Late"

I was out yesterday with a few buddies in a boat, we went to one of the Islands on the Stave and there were at least another 10 boats there (including at least 5 Guides) and it was awesome. It didn't matter if you threw a fly or gear, it was almost every cast, and I would say 60/40 Female/Male with many very nice clean fish.

My buddy has been on the Vedder system 7 days in the past 2 weeks and it does seem that the chum numbers are VERY low, maybe, just maybe they are late, but I really don't hold out my hope for that, as we all know, the north side runs are almost ALWAYS later than the South side, and it does seem that the north side is really starting to get some numbers.

Rick
Shhhh...don't say this too loudly  ;)  I got into quite a lot of chums on the Vedder last week as a by-catch while targeting coho but someone did tell me it was they were the first ones he saw caught this season.    Hopefully they are just later than usual this year.

Its funny the attitude people have that Chums are only good for the smoker.   A clean chum is better than a pink in my opinion but I guess people don't favor them due to the white color of the meat and the taste not being as rich as other salmon.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:19:10 PM by fishseeker »

RA40

• STS Guiding Service
    • STS Guiding Service
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2011, 06:17:55 AM »

Milo, I agree 100%, i keep chum for my smoker, every winter my wife and I spend a few days making indian candy, i like using chum the best.

Unfortunately Chum are not doing well throughout the Fraser Valley, numbers are way down in the Fraser, Harrison, Vedder and Stave. One of the possible reasons for this is that hatchery funding has been cut back so far that the fry are no longer being fed to 1 gram as in past years, about 5/6 years ago the Vedder Hatchery stopped feeding chum fry,since then returns have almost colapsed. Could be that fry are not surviving the out migration.

I was at the SFAC - FV meeting the other night and we talked allot about chum, DFO reported that their was a large group of Chum out in the Strait that werre heading towards the Fraser, these fish are mixed stocks so not all will come our way, some are heading south to USA and Vancouver Island east coast. These are mixed stock fish, on average Fraser portion can be anywhere from 60 to 30%.

Even with the late push if it happens, I have never seen such low numbers, the fraser itself has nothing for Chum. You see the odd one jump but I have been fishing the Fraser Bars for the past 2 weeks and caught more Coho and Chinook than chum which is un heard of.

Keep your fingers crossed, maybe some late fish will show up.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2011, 10:21:22 AM »

This year's Browns bay Chum derby was a great success.  The fishing seemed better than the last number of years according to the participants.  Seems to confirm DFO's info that there is a large mass of chums moving down the strait.  Question is where are they headed to?  Wondering if they are indeed late.  Maybe the Squamish perhaps?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2011, 05:32:38 PM »

Here's today's update from DFO.

Further to my update of last week, returns of chum salmon to the South Coast area continue to be quite variable in 2011.   

Initial analysis of the DNA samples from the Johnstone Strait test fishery shows that Fraser River stocks contributed to the abundance at similar levels to recent years however these fish are not being caught in the Fraser River by the Albion test fishery.  The percentage of Fraser stocks in the Johnstone Strait test fishery was approximately 36% in the third week of October. 

This still means that there are considerable uncertainties regarding Fraser River chum run strength at this time however the information at hand shows that chum returns to the Fraser River are currently tracking below the identified escapement goal of 800,000. The Department will be using the decision guidelines table in the IFMP to manage this fishery and will be moving to non-retention of chum in the recreational fishery in Areas 11, 12, 13 and 29, the non-tidal Fraser and tributaries. Fishery notices will be released at some point tomorrow with the actions taking effect October 27th. Information will continue to be collected and assessed and if opportunities to retain chum in terminal areas arise fisheries will be announced.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

If the chum are in trouble this year, what do you think contribute to the great coho return this year (at the Vedder at least)? Do chum and coho have the same life cycle (4 years)? If so the ocean is surely a mysterious thing. It gives you boom for one fish and bust on the other for the same brood year.  ???