Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 Chum return numbers  (Read 22928 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: 2011 Chum return numbers
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 04:37:28 PM »

The closer the rivers are to the fish farms equals less chum. ;D
Beak :)
Seriously though, clarki is right; 2 bad years in a row for eagles is not good news.  I expect fewer this year on the Vedder but sure hope I'm surprised.
The good news is the Chilliwack hatchery will be feeding chum fry this year - lets hope they can obtain enough broodstock.  Chums are so important to this system; damn shame they aren't managed that way.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »

Beak :)
Seriously though, clarki is right; 2 bad years in a row for eagles is not good news.  I expect fewer this year on the Vedder but sure hope I'm surprised.
The good news is the Chilliwack hatchery will be feeding chum fry this year - lets hope they can obtain enough broodstock.  Chums are so important to this system; damn shame they aren't managed that way.

Actually Dave it's been a full chum cycle of poor returns for the Squamish and it has indeed been very hard on the eagles. On the annual eagle count the best site for counting birds has been the dump. Sad. Yet we are still having mixed stock commercial fisheries in Johnstone Straight generally followed by Oops...sorry no fish. Fishery mismanagement at it's best. No accountability.

buck

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »

BKK
Good to hear from you. I hope those coho are treating you well?  Chilliwack hatchery staff spawned a whopping 23 females last week. I offered them a loonie to pay for the fish feed. Martin got a chuckle over that and in his excitement over the chum numbers inadvertently deleted all of his steelhead data on the computer. He forgot to save it and then jokingly blamed me. He was able to redo his work but it did take some extra time. We should get together this winter for a day or two off steelheading on the Vedder.

bkk

« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 01:40:53 PM »

Hi Buck,

How is that fixed income thing working out for you? ;D  Coho have been tough this year but they are still treating me well. I indeed will be out your way this winter as I have 2 weeks annual leave to burn up to get me down to the maximum I'm allowed to carry. How has it been for you? I've heard good things about your area this year except for the nut job slashing tires. Keep in touch!

Bkk

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 04:23:15 PM »

BKK
Good to hear from you. We should get together this winter for a day or two off steelheading on the Vedder.

I'd like to part of that excursion Pete but I'm not sure if B could keep up with us :D

nosey

« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2011, 06:32:34 PM »

I was hooking chums every third cast in the canal this morning, never realized there was a shortage, maybe they're just late.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2011, 08:21:22 PM »

I'd like to part of that excursion Pete but I'm not sure if B could keep up with us :D

what is this? This place is starting to turn into a DFO hangout after work... :o How come I never get invited to these excursions? :-\

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »

Hey Rod, you have been  ;D - remember we're counting steelhead spawners next spring.
As to fishing with DFO guys, well we bitch a lot, actually really a lot, fart some and don't catch a whole lot but enjoy the day.
LOL, I'd have to run it by the guys to see if you could tag along; we'll get back to you :D :D

bkk

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2011, 12:55:46 PM »

what is this? This place is starting to turn into a DFO hangout after work... :o How come I never get invited to these excursions? :-\

Your more than welcome.....you just have to do the buy in. You can pick up the tab for breakfast as Buck and Dave are both on fixed incomes. Well that anf they are both very cheap ::)

No problem there as long as you guys continue to use your walkers while walking around on those slippery rocks! ;D