Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: panther martin & rooster tail set up question  (Read 21572 times)

noobfisher

panther martin & rooster tail set up question
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »

Hello,

Just bought a few rooster tails and a panther martin spinner to try out at the local stocked trout lakes  (it's getting cold and float fishing was fun in the summer lol) .... new to fishing so thought I'd get some advice as far as setting these up.

Do you need a leader or do you attach the rooster tail directly to your main line?  Do either of these spinners need weights to cast or do they interfere with the action of the spinner?  I read somewhere you should not attach them with a swivel as well?  Thanks in advance!

:)

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: panther martin & rooster tail set up question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »

Easy answer is....it depends.

If your set up (rod, reel, lure weight and line) are properly matched, casting them without a weight should be easy.

For the local stocked lakes 6lb line max would be what I would use with an ultralight-light rod/reel combo.

You are best to not use a leader for this basic set up.  Keep it simple.  You will not need a swivel with these lures, especially since you are not dealing with current.

Have fun.

(ps, don't forget to bring some bait, a couple of small bell weights and/split shot, and some floats, just in case they are aren't biting agressively so you can work anywhere in the water column or just off bottom)

Dogbreath

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:48:47 PM »

You will not need a swivel with these lures, especially since you are not dealing with current.
Agreed, if you have any trouble with line twist just hold your spinner up out of the water @ the end of each cast for a few seconds.

colin6101

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 10:18:55 PM »

I've always put a small swivel on the end of my mainline to prevent twist (although not common with these types of lures) but more importantly it makes for quick switches to other spoons or lures I want to try out. An ultralight spinning rod will definitely be able to toss those lures without extra weight but you can always add split shot if you need to go deeper or are using a heavier rod.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 11:00:01 PM »

--I use a 10 # test spro coast lock swivel with spinners as I have several choices in colour and weight for easy quick change.
--Issue with the swivel is depending on how you cast and how the lure is balanced... can often catch the hook on the swivel thus wasting a retrieve.
--same thing with adding weight.. it tends to make the lure tumble during the cast and hang up the hook.
--I only use single barbless hooks.. changing the shaft length on the hook can reduce hang up depending on total length of the spinner and where and how much weight is on the spinner body and blade weight and size.

--so cast a few times overhand, side different speed and release point... if these adjustments still end up with hang up then dump the added length of the swivel lock and try direct tie to the line.  Next... start making your own lures for fun and fine tune.. the commercial ones are a good starting point.

noobfisher

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 06:00:47 AM »

thanks again for the advice!  I'll let you know how it works out after this weekend!

noobfisher

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 03:38:29 PM »

Thanks .. you guys were right, didn't need a swivel or weights, although I didn't catch anything lol.  The wife did get two trout float fishing though!

cohojoe

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 05:01:54 PM »

I forgot to mention ;   if the panther martin has  treble hooks you should bust them off and replace them with singles.    Or  break off  two of the  hooks so that you only have one hook .    Also make it barbless.      I have seen guys use the panthers straight out of the package with  trebles and  barbed.     They claimed not to know the regulations because they did not speak or read english well enough.     I told them if they were smart enough to immigrate to Canada and  get decent jobs and  function in Canadian modern society;  they could understand the regualtions.     I saw them catch  two  times over their limit in 4 days at  Link Lake trolling around.     They exactly how fast ,  how deep,   and what bait to use.    Sick.    I know the CO  in Princeton and will report them.       Any one else meet these two ?    An older guy and his wife.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 08:04:03 AM »

--catching over limit definate no no but barbed treble is allowed in link lake... only restriction is electric motors only.
--single barbless hooks required in all rivers, streams creek or slough in BC.... use of barbed hoooks in lakes is permittd, unless noted in the regional water-specific tables.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »

--catching over limit definate no no but barbed treble is allowed in link lake... only restriction is electric motors only.
--single barbless hooks required in all rivers, streams creek or slough in BC.... use of barbed hoooks in lakes is permittd, unless noted in the regional water-specific tables.

You're right that you are allowed to use barbed treble hooks.  Do so if you want to. 

If you are referring to Link Lake northeast of Princeton, I am familiar with this lake.  You are likely to catch a lot of fish that are smaller than what you may want to kill and eat.  The treble hooks are going to damage their mouths and possibly gills much more than single hooks (especially barbless) will.  Fish caught with trebles are far less likely to survive after release than those caught on single hooks.  Try fishing marabou leeches too (even with the spinning gear, just add some weight).

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 05:51:05 PM »

my father has a soft spot for those lakes up there, i have always used a deadly dick up in those waters, next summer i will be learning how to fly fish so i will remember the leeches,some great tips on this thread noob good on your wife for catching two with a float.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Spooner

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 08:42:54 AM »

Caught one of my biggest steelies on a Blue Rooster...

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 07:13:01 PM »

--was just referring to the regs: I always use single barbless even when not required by regulation..They're easier to get out of your partners ear as well as the fish, highly reccomended for new flyfishers.

--only issue I have had with single barbless is on Okanagan lk when kokanee were closed to fishing... while fishing for trout using larger single barbless hooks they tend to twist and kill small kokanee that go after these lures. 

--nothings perfect but adjustments can be made to reduce mortality in some instances a large barbless treble may work better to prevent small kokanee bycatch. (note single barbless treble is not the current reg for okanagan it is single barbless only)

--circle hooks have gained popularity as well.. especially when using bait as deep hooking doesn't usually occur.
--I always experiment with hooks and riggs to fine tune and have not found any significant dissadvantage to using single barbless