Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If you fish for sockeye, this is a MUST READ  (Read 31579 times)

Fish Slayer

Re: If you fish for sockeye, this is a MUST READ
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 09:39:56 PM »

Sterling good job on the thread and pictures, very sad to hear about the coho and the steelhead. The sockeye snaggery is something that should not be allowed to happen, but then all the government sees is money and would never give up on such a cash grab. Just look at cigarettes and how they continue crap like that which kills hundreds of people daily.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 09:47:55 PM »

Sterling good job on the thread and pictures, very sad to hear about the coho and the steelhead. The sockeye snaggery is something that should not be allowed to happen, but then all the government sees is money and would never give up on such a cash grab. Just look at cigarettes and how they continue crap like that which kills hundreds of people daily.

Don't forget the native and commercial fisheries as well......  
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »

Yup and alcohol, fast food etc etc also kill people every day. You cant compare those things to the sockeye fishery......

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

BBarley

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »

I`m going to chime in once more on this thread,

I usually fish up north on the Skeena system, but do to schooling and other constraints, I now settle for fishing the lower mainland. Anyway, I usually looked forward to years of poor sockeye returns, it meant the gauntlet at the mouth was removed and all the other species didnt face that hurdle. There might be a few fishermen out there like me who actually like seeing less numbers of sockeye, just to keep the net maze on the rollers where they should be.

nosey

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 06:54:24 AM »

Can't be true, just saw a commercial fisherman on yesterdays news saying that closing the commercial fishing was ludicrous because the coho were nowhere near the Fraser yet, so I guess all those gill nets are not catching any coho, God only knows the commercials wouldn't lie to us about their catch.  ;)

Fish Slayer

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »

Scratch n sniff? White spring scent available? lol
I can only imagine what the vedder will be like this fall, all those out there who bought a license just for sockeye will now fish the fall or for steelhead as the "heck why not I already have the darn license" mentality will happen.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 03:36:54 PM »

Scratch n sniff? White spring scent available? lol
I can only imagine what the vedder will be like this fall, all those out there who bought a license just for sockeye will now fish the fall or for steelhead as the "heck why not I already have the darn license" mentality will happen.

Exactly, The guys who are buying there license for the first time, and just nailing sockeye after sockeye and thinking to themselves why wasnt I doing this years ago, its so easy. Now that sockeye will be over soon, they will still be thinking salmon fishing is easy and hit the next best flow( The Vedder) . Along with that mentality they will bring the only type of fishing they know, bottom bouncing 15 footer leaders, and the problem goes on. Im looking forward to it as much as you.
The Bigger The Better!

jeff

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 04:30:08 PM »

Exactly, The guys who are buying there license for the first time, and just nailing sockeye after sockeye and thinking to themselves why wasnt I doing this years ago, its so easy. Now that sockeye will be over soon, they will still be thinking salmon fishing is easy and hit the next best flow( The Vedder) . Along with that mentality they will bring the only type of fishing they know, bottom bouncing 15 footer leaders, and the problem goes on. Im looking forward to it as much as you.

I was already thinking this same thing as well a month ago.
Enjoying the water..........

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 07:56:37 PM »

This photo was sent to me by a forum member. The story goes that he was fishing Peg Leg this afternoon and stumbled across someone beaching this fish. The person landing the fish wasn't sure of its identity so he was asking people passing by. Luckily this forum member knew his fish id's and made sure it found its way back into the river. Unfortunately, as you can tell from the photo this fish got pretty beat up in the process.

Kudos to the angler for taking the time to ask about the identification. It refreshing to know that some people are getting the message that the auto bonk method should not be employed.

Actions speak louder than words.

ribolovac02

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2010, 08:20:32 PM »

looks like its bleeding badly,SAD,Very sad indeed, :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

iRobertO

« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2010, 10:30:08 PM »

I think people should have to take a course to have the privilege to fish our resource just as we do to hunt.  Its a no brainer but others do not see it this way.  This thread is another perfect example.  Huge sockeye run, things should be fine but they are not.

Really though fish id isn't something you can learn from reading a book.  All the more reason for having to take a complete fishing course including ethics, Id, Methods, littering and more.

While the entire local fishing population isn't exactly a member of FWR, a lot of people stumble upon this site and get a good education from it. I don't see the test suggestion happening, so I have a suggestion that might help some people.
How about Rod puts up a salmon identification quiz right on here? 50 question test to quiz yourself with pictures etc. Could be a multiple choice test. I'd use it to learn, some of you knowledgeable guys could use it to prove your knowledge, others to test what they think they have learned. Rod could even incentivize it by offering something for a 100% score such as access to  fishing reports or the privilege of PM'ing. (maybe in combination with the existing requirements, I.e. 50 posts plus the score on the test).

Rod?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 11:50:13 PM »

I wouldnt be surprised if 20-50 Coho are being bonked/killed a day by sports fishers.
The Bigger The Better!

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2010, 12:07:33 AM »

While the entire local fishing population isn't exactly a member of FWR, a lot of people stumble upon this site and get a good education from it. I don't see the test suggestion happening, so I have a suggestion that might help some people.
How about Rod puts up a salmon identification quiz right on here? 50 question test to quiz yourself with pictures etc. Could be a multiple choice test. I'd use it to learn, some of you knowledgeable guys could use it to prove your knowledge, others to test what they think they have learned. Rod could even incentivize it by offering something for a 100% score such as access to  fishing reports or the privilege of PM'ing. (maybe in combination with the existing requirements, I.e. 50 posts plus the score on the test).

Rod?

You're asking a lot of Rodney. Why don't you put the quiz together yourself? Find pictures online. Put a post together, make a new thread, post all the pictures, then people can post their answers or write them down. After a week you could post the answers.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2010, 06:03:41 AM »

Maybe if every one got together a submitted photo's there would be a large variety to make the quiz even better and thorough.  I would especial like the photo's of 3 sock s on a string with 1 coho.  The question could be:  one of these things is not like the other, one of the these things is kinda the same, but one of these things is not like the other, now it time to play our game, its time to play our game.

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

iRobertO

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:25 AM »

You're asking a lot of Rodney. Why don't you put the quiz together yourself? Find pictures online. Put a post together, make a new thread, post all the pictures, then people can post their answers or write them down. After a week you could post the answers.

Really?! My impression of the site is that he invests a lot of time to educate people, so I still think it's a good suggestion. But maybe you're right, the guy (me) with limited knowledge should teach everyone..