Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: If you fish for sockeye, this is a MUST READ  (Read 31545 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: If you fish for sockeye, this is a MUST READ
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 06:41:34 AM »

I think people should have to take a course to have the privilege to fish our resource just as we do to hunt.  Its a no brainer but others do not see it this way.  This thread is another perfect example.  Huge sockeye run, things should be fine but they are not.

Really though fish id isn't something you can learn from reading a book.  All the more reason for having to take a complete fishing course including ethics, Id, Methods, littering and more.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 07:31:17 AM »

I think people should have to take a course to have the privilege to fish our resource just as we do to hunt.  Its a no brainer but others do not see it this way.  This thread is another perfect example.  Huge sockeye run, things should be fine but they are not.

Really though fish id isn't something you can learn from reading a book.  All the more reason for having to take a complete fishing course including ethics, Id, Methods, littering and more.

I completely agree with you but sadly I don't think it will ever happen.

bcguy

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »

I completely agree with you but sadly I don't think it will ever happen.
It would just turn into another tax/money grab
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 09:03:17 AM »

It would just turn into another tax/money grab

Call it what you will but regardless of its title it would be well worth it providing the content of the course is sufficient.  There would be a bit less fishing, more fines towards fish enhancement, more guiding.  Perhaps that could be part of the penalizing system.  Get caught poaching and have to take a 2 week course to get your license back.(I am half kidding)(maybe it would work but I am against promoting a positive with a negative)

Anyway,  it should not be so easy to get a fishing license. 
I agree it is likely that I will never see it happen for many reasonable reason.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 02:09:50 PM »

I got one of those fish id tags that goes on your key chain from Rod at a cleanup some time ago. They are great and should be handed out with every licence sold.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »

OH BOY...wait till next year if there is an opening for Socks and Pinks at the same time, it's gonna be so disgusting that I don't even wanna read posts about it because you know it's not gonna be good news. Guys will be telling each other on the bars that you are allowed 4 fish in total with a different combination of species according to the allowed limits but of course as that message gets passed around it just turns to "You're allowed 4 fish total". With inexperienced fisherman not knowing how to identify the different species there will tons of illegal catches for sure.

You may be the exception, but my friends and I all started out inexperienced and learnt as we went.  ???

In the process we made mistakes and had the "experienced" fishermen either help us out or glare at us and I'm sure some of them would have even posted about us on the internet if it was available.....   :D

You may think you're sounding quite righteous by repeating the same message however that's not the way I'm seeing you. Lighten up a little and either stay away from all of this or step in and use your experience to teach these newbies the right way to do things....  :)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »

You may be the exception, but my friends and I all started out inexperienced and learnt as we went.  ???

In the process we made mistakes and had the "experienced" fishermen either help us out or glare at us and I'm sure some of them would have even posted about us on the internet if it was available.....   :D

You may think you're sounding quite righteous by repeating the same message however that's not the way I'm seeing you. Lighten up a little and either stay away from all of this or step in and use your experience to teach these newbies the right way to do things....  :)

Its not just the inexperienced, Its the god damn guys who know better.

Today, 3 guys pulled up to a bar in a boat with the logo  'Fraser Valley Salmon Society' printed on the side. These guys had all the gear, nice gear too, and had no problems throughout the day casting there baitcasters. So Im assuming they know there stuff, I keep an eye around and watch one of the guys pull a fish 15 feet up the beach. I watch the guy thinking its a sockeye and the fish is going crazy flipping all over the rocks like most sockeye landed, the guy is trying to get the fish under control and trying to pop the hook, he seems to have no intention of killing it. He has his whole body propted over the fish, and yells to his buddy "I need your Pilers". His buddy takes his time reels in and heads over to the fish with the pilers.

They pop the hook out and now they are starting to question if it is a Coho? They arnt sure, and the 3rd guy from the boat reels in and walks over to take a look. Between the 3 of them and the lengthy time they stood there and stared down at the fish, they were able to figure out it was a Coho....I witnessed the whole thing and I couldnt believe the guy even bothered trying to revieve the fish.

So Its not just the new guys that are part of the problem, its the guys that know better and couldnt careless, just ignorant.

Could someone tell me who exactly are the 'Fraser Valley Salmon Society'? How does a person who cant differentiate between salmon become a part of this organisation?

Id love to open my mouth and say something to people like this, but whats the point, If the experienced guys dont give a cupcakes, I cant exspect anyone less too.
The Bigger The Better!

anorden

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »

If you get a coho AND you snag it does that count as a double negative?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 08:34:21 PM »

A healthy fine and confiscation of their equipment is probably the best thing. If you don't know what the regs are, you usually know there's a price to pay for breaking the law. Need more inforcement out there big time.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

sapper

• 2000 Feet 3 Miles East of the Port Mann, Full Stop
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 08:34:58 PM »

I'm going to step in here and say I am one of those new guys who has been fishing on and off for years.  When I say that you would think I should know what I'm talking about - but I've only gone out a handfull of times in the past 9 years.  

While I am able to distinguish the different various species of salmon - I'm not able to do so until its out of the water most times (with the exception of looking at their gums before being beached but that isn't always the best) and am greatfull for those who are in the know fishing along side me and are willing to help out.

I for one would be more than happy to see a test being made mandatory before the purchase of a salmon tag.

There are those who say I don't belong out on the river fishing because of my inexperience - and to them I say stuff it.  There was a time when you were green just like me.  And then there are those who are always willing to help out and pass on their knowledge.  A big kudos to these real sport fishermen.
From the coasts of BC and Newfoundland Labrador, to the smallest crevasse in the hills of Afghanistan.  Support your Canadian Troops!

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »

Heard from a reliable source today 2 yes 2 Thompson Steelhead were caught at Peg Leg, 1 was killed the other dragged on shore then released. This snag fishery has to come to an end.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2010, 08:51:54 PM »

Heard from a reliable source today 2 yes 2 Thompson Steelhead were caught at Peg Leg, 1 was killed the other dragged on shore then released. This snag fishery has to come to an end.

Does your reliable source have any info on how many Thompson steelhead were caught in the mess of nets stretched out all over the Fraser in the last number of weeks? Any idea how many of those survived? Should the native and commercial fisheries come to an end?

Just trying to add some perspective to your comments....  ::)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 08:54:07 PM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »

I agree with that I'm sure quite a few have been taken by other users too but just pointing out what actually happened today in a thread that goes with it. If those fish were caught in Chilliwack the commercials had nothing to do with catching them.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 08:55:42 PM »

I agree with that I'm sure quite a few have been taken by other users too but just pointing out what actually happened today in a thread that goes with it. If those fish were caught in Chilliwack the commercials had nothing to do with catching them.

???

bcguy

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »

Does your reliable source have any info on how many Thompson steelhead were caught in the mess of nets stretched out all over the Fraser in the last number of weeks? Any idea how many of those survived? Should the native and commercial fisheries come to an end?

Just trying to add some perspective to your comments....  ::)

Very good point, the answer of course is to allow fishing, until these species start to show up, then shut it all down, no recreational, no commmercial, no F/N.
On the commercial side, nets do not know the difference between species, but on the recreational side, neither do a good part of sockeye fisherman. If it doesnt come close to pulling you in, its a Sockeye, if it does, its a spring.  ;D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB