Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw  (Read 45450 times)

wizard

Re: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 03:13:44 PM »

I'll take driving 2.5 hours to be on a nice lake in the interior somewhere over this crap any day!
what irks me is when people call this "fishing".this is NOT  fishing. this is closer to anarchy on a river.  are these peole really having fun?  I doubt it.  anyways...if you enjoy it have at it, just don't call it fishing, it's not.  if the fish were willfully biting it would be fishing, but this is NOT fishing, so don't call it that.

Buck_wife

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 03:44:32 PM »

stop dissing my little redneck town milo!  :D
who wouldn't love to live in a town that's overpopulated with cheap dutchmen and smells like cow$hit year round??? ;D
Its whatever you get used to I would say...i was born and raised here, and don't think I could live closer to Vancouver than I do right now.

Personally, I would rather pay for steak and chicken, than fish like they are fishing out there right now. And I am feeding a family of six....2 adults and 4 (yes 4!) teens with hollow legs.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 04:00:55 PM »

Better for what?
I spend only 20% of my paycheck on my mortgage for quite a bit more than closet space, and I have the best of world's cuisine and entertainment a few steps away form where I live. I don't need a car to commute to work (or for anything in the city for that matter), just a short ride on a very regular and uncrowded bus or a leisurely walk takes me where I want.

Why would anyone want to live in Chilliwack or other such redneck little town when there is a fascinating international metropolis on the seaside just 90 clicks away is beyond me.  ::)

Each to their own, Robert.
I wouldn't trade my beautiful condo in Vancouver for any house in the 'Wack - fishing be damned.

X2

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »

;D ;D ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »

X2

Not too mention the smog, and lack of jobs. If you have to commute to Vancouver your wasting 1/3 of your life commuting and all your savings on your property just got eaten up on commuting costs. Oh did I mention the smog?

I live in Maple Ridge. Nope its not Vancouver but we have several rivers, creeks and lakes. Not too mention no smog. We also have some of the best trails in all the Mainland. Its about an hour commute to Vancouver unlike that 2.5-3 hour commute from Chilliwack ( luckily I live and work in Maple Ridge but my wife has to do the commute )

You like living in the smog capital of BC? You can keep it!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2010, 05:02:15 PM »

Hey, you know I love your little redneck town. (the nearby salmon and steelhead bearing river is one of my favourites  ;D).
I just prefer to make it a weekend leisure destination. ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2010, 04:44:05 AM »

That's because it is a free-for-all. When I go out sockeye fishing, I don't tell my wife that I'm out 'fishing'. I tell her that I'm out 'getting' Sockeye. I've bonked 22 now and I've just about got what I need for canning, smoking, and freezing...not to mention how many we've eaten fresh already.

This is NOT 'real' fishing...no matter how much a person tries to convince themselves. It's taking part in a gong show. For us, it has lowered our August grocery bill substantially by not having to buy steak and chicken.
Especially for a guy like me who lives in Chilliwack. It's cheap for me to fish...and I use almost no gas. I do agree though that with all the commercial and native fishing, IF you lived in the city (Vancouver), it is NOT worth it to drive all the way out to Chilliwack for sockeye when you can buy them off the dock for 15 dollars. There is a good chance that 'rookie' sockeye fishermen will drive all the way out here and catch nothing...or not know where to go. Lately there have been a lot of days that are mediocore at best.

But then again....you want to talk about gong show...living in Vancouver is a gone show. why anyone would want to live out there while spending 3/4 of their paycheck to pay for their closet space of a home is beyond me. Living out here is better. Cheaper homes and the Fraser and Chilliwack/Vedder rivers at our doorstep.
This sockeye fever has now changlng Chilliwack into a gong town  ;D, like Vancouver, be like Milo and all of you stay home in the big city except come to Chiliwack on Septemberthe 26Th to take part in the Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society's BC Rivers day event, check us out at www.cleanrivers.ca. Also a Fraser River cleanup after that, if we get it of the ground to cleanup the bars after Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw and elsewhere have gone back to Vancouver. ;D ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »

I'll take driving 2.5 hours to be on a nice lake in the interior somewhere over this crap any day!
what irks me is when people call this "fishing".this is NOT  fishing. this is closer to anarchy on a river.  are these peole really having fun?  I doubt it.  anyways...if you enjoy it have at it, just don't call it fishing, it's not.  if the fish were willfully biting it would be fishing, but this is NOT fishing, so don't call it that.

Commercial guys call what they are doing "fishing".  Would you like them to change the name as well?   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2010, 11:53:33 PM »

(((((((FISHFINDER nailed it...  What a ****-show full of Banjos & inbred hillbillies!!!!!!!)))))

Ignorrant comment.  Most of the people fishing the banks do not fit this description.  Think about it...  There are idiots fishing everywhere, but not as many as you think... Once again, snobbish attitude...

bcguy

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »

Commercial guys call what they are doing "fishing".  Would you like them to change the name as well?   ;D

Good point, lets call it harvesting instead, because as far as I can tell, netting and flossing are not really fishing anyhow.
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2010, 12:28:43 PM »

I grew up in the city and couldnt wait to leave...i now live in the wack the last 8 yrs and couldnt be happier...great fishing on my door step...drove into the city the other day and took me hrs because of all the traffic and construction >:(...I don't know how you guys do it commuting out here to fish and then back on a regular basis ??? For sure i would be buying my socks if lived in the city.Lifes too short to be stuck in traffic and stressed out all the time.

FraserFishing

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2010, 06:37:42 PM »

Wow some people ar aggressive  :)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »

You will not have to worry the next 3 years as things will return to some sort of order as they most likely will be no sockeye opening. Also I heard a rumour a 3 foot leader restriction may be in effect by then too.

Did the 3-foot leader restriction ever went through??
I guess the more we worry about our resources, less the feds' concern...
Enjoy flossing salmon on Fraser over the next few weeks as the Feds/DFO are busy with their own political agenda. BTW, what was the latest formal reaction to Cohen's inquiry?? With millions of $$ spent out of taxpayers pockets, did the report really result in any substantial changes??

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2014, 06:39:01 PM »

Did the 3-foot leader restriction ever went through??
I guess the more we worry about our resources, less the feds' concern...
Enjoy flossing salmon on Fraser over the next few weeks as the Feds/DFO are busy with their own political agenda. BTW, what was the latest formal reaction to Cohen's inquiry?? With millions of $$ spent out of taxpayers pockets, did the report really result in any substantial changes??

Still being worked on,of course anything to do with government moves slowly at best.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »

Crowded fishing and bad behaviour wasn't created by the sockeye bb fishery and isn't unique to it. I've been fishing the FV for 50+ years and have seen similar things on the lower Fraser bars at the height of the fall coho fishery and on the small Surrey streams like the Nic and Little Campbell of all places. It happens whenever people get the impression there are so many fish avialble anyone can catch a few. Beaks and neophytes aren't the only perps as I've seen bad behaviour by experienced anglers who simply can't cope with crowds.

For the most part people are polite and do their best to get along in my experience. Usually it's the odd very unreasonable and/or unbalanced person that causes problems. I saw one fellow give another person the gears because there should be at least 20 feet between anglers. The distance between the 2 was at least 50 feet. Either that was a vision problem or intimidation.

There are also spots with shore access where you can have lots of room if you know where they are. Where I've been I've had 100 feet or more between me and the next angler. These are not classic bars but they are fishable and I've had good luck 2 trips out.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.