Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw  (Read 45415 times)

salmonrook

Re: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 11:23:51 PM »

I am new to sockeye fishing , have fished trout for years.While at the beginning of the opening it was good on the bars,  it has gotten worse lately .Maybe people are tense because they know the run will end and not be back for 3 years.
     .It has been  well publicized  through the media  that the size of the run is historic .This in turn  has motivated more people to get out who normally would not.  Some of these would understand proper procedure and common sense ,unfortunately some of them do not understand the spirit of fishing , it seems its just like a free- for- all.
   I was out on the bar with my son and met great people , one who even gave me a sockeye seeing that I was having no luck that night.Another person i swapped some tackle with , who in turn was the only person who was into fish that night .  Seems like good karma !
   A positive experience for me , hopefully people remember to enjoy while it lasts.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 12:49:02 AM »

Can somebody explain to me why this mania for the Sockeye? 

Probably because sockeyes are the tastiest of the Pacific Salmon. With the exception of this year a sockeye will cost you between $30-40

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 06:20:22 AM »

The Vancouver sun on thursday said Sockeye are being sold for 1.25/lb.  ???
The Bigger The Better!

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 06:59:04 AM »

The Vancouver sun on thursday said Sockeye are being sold for 1.25/lb.  ???
As usual improper reporting lol. That's amazingly low. I've seen dirty pinks being sold in stores for $17 a fish, wth?

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 07:22:49 AM »

That was $1.25/lb to the processing plants.  The suckers lining up pay a premium.

anorden

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »

That was $1.25/lb to the processing plants.  The suckers lining up pay a premium.

Story is they caught so many sockeye last week they ran out of ice. And have had to ship it down from Prince Rupert. Maybe thats how they justify jacking their prices back up?!?

Robert_G

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 08:20:47 AM »

, it seems its just like a free- for- all.

That's because it is a free-for-all. When I go out sockeye fishing, I don't tell my wife that I'm out 'fishing'. I tell her that I'm out 'getting' Sockeye. I've bonked 22 now and I've just about got what I need for canning, smoking, and freezing...not to mention how many we've eaten fresh already.

This is NOT 'real' fishing...no matter how much a person tries to convince themselves. It's taking part in a gong show. For us, it has lowered our August grocery bill substantially by not having to buy steak and chicken.
Especially for a guy like me who lives in Chilliwack. It's cheap for me to fish...and I use almost no gas. I do agree though that with all the commercial and native fishing, IF you lived in the city (Vancouver), it is NOT worth it to drive all the way out to Chilliwack for sockeye when you can buy them off the dock for 15 dollars. There is a good chance that 'rookie' sockeye fishermen will drive all the way out here and catch nothing...or not know where to go. Lately there have been a lot of days that are mediocore at best.

But then again....you want to talk about gong show...living in Vancouver is a gone show. why anyone would want to live out there while spending 3/4 of their paycheck to pay for their closet space of a home is beyond me. Living out here is better. Cheaper homes and the Fraser and Chilliwack/Vedder rivers at our doorstep.

lovetofish

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 09:42:59 AM »

We have been out 10 times during the sockeye season. The first 9 times, the people around us were just as blueback described. Helpful, friendly and fun to fish beside. People helping others net fish, lending out nets, moving out of the way if required and having a lot of laughs. No complaining about tangles among anglers and accommodating to other boats that arrived. We would run into people we had met on previous trips and have more laughs. People were having fun. People caught their two fish and left so others could take their spots.
Yesterday was not the same. I was very disappointed to end our sockeye season like that.
We landed our boat in a gap of about 100 feet between boats and immediately a fellow above us comes down from above and says they were fishing there and we should move down. They weren't as there was no one standing in that 100 foot section. And they never did. They were fishing out of their jet boat. They obviously already had their limit of sockeye as they caught and released sockeye for the whole time we were there. (4 hours) We fished below our boat and kept away from their lines as much as we could even though they drifted way down below us. Then we heard them on the phone inviting friends to come and bring their boat right above them. They already had friends anchored closely above them.  One old fellow came from the new boat and fished below us. He was friendly and more like we expect. Once we had our limit of sockeye, we left so others could have room to fish.

Robert_G

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 12:48:18 PM »

Yesterday was not the same. I was very disappointed to end our sockeye season like that.
We landed our boat in a gap of about 100 feet between boats and immediately a fellow above us comes down from above and says they were fishing there and we should move down. They weren't as there was no one standing in that 100 foot section. And they never did. They were fishing out of their jet boat. They obviously already had their limit of sockeye as they caught and released sockeye for the whole time we were there. (4 hours) We fished below our boat and kept away from their lines as much as we could even though they drifted way down below us. Then we heard them on the phone inviting friends to come and bring their boat right above them. They already had friends anchored closely above them.  One old fellow came from the new boat and fished below us. He was friendly and more like we expect. Once we had our limit of sockeye, we left so others could have room to fish.

I know I might get blasted for saying this, but I don't care.
I'd be willing to bet they were guides.
Some of the guides on the Fraser think they own the river.  I can spot a guide pretty quick on the Fraser, and lets just say that very few of them are enjoyable to fish beside. They think because they are earning a living that they should have first dibs and that you better give them as much room as they need. They can be very rude in telling you that their clients need more space. I got news for them...sometimes it's crowded and as guides they are NOT getting special rules.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 12:57:42 PM »

But then again....you want to talk about gong show...living in Vancouver is a gone show. why anyone would want to live out there while spending 3/4 of their paycheck to pay for their closet space of a home is beyond me. Living out here is better. Cheaper homes and the Fraser and Chilliwack/Vedder rivers at our doorstep.

Better for what?
I spend only 20% of my paycheck on my mortgage for quite a bit more than closet space, and I have the best of world's cuisine and entertainment a few steps away form where I live. I don't need a car to commute to work (or for anything in the city for that matter), just a short ride on a very regular and uncrowded bus or a leisurely walk takes me where I want.

Why would anyone want to live in Chilliwack or other such redneck little town when there is a fascinating international metropolis on the seaside just 90 clicks away is beyond me.  ::)

Each to their own, Robert.
I wouldn't trade my beautiful condo in Vancouver for any house in the 'Wack - fishing be damned.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 01:00:59 PM »

Better for what?
I spend only 20% of my paycheck on my mortgage for quite a bit more than closet space, and I have the best of world's cuisine and entertainment a few steps away form where I live. I don't need a car to commute to work (or for anything in the city for that matter), just a short ride on a very regular and uncrowded bus or a leisurely walk takes me where I want.

Why would anyone want to live in Chilliwack or other such redneck little town when there is a fascinating international metropolis on the seaside just 90 clicks away is beyond me.  ::)

Each to their own, Robert.
I wouldn't trade my beautiful condo in Vancouver for any house in the 'Wack - fishing be damned.
Agree 100% lol.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »

I spend only 20% of my paycheck on my mortgage for quite a bit more than closet space.

Damn Milo, you're loaded! :o ;D

Robert_G

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »

Agreed.
Anyways....I knew that would get some people here going. It is 'to each their own' however, but as an avid outdoorsman, I would feel claustrophobic living in a condo in Vancouver. Not to mention if there was ever a major earthquake, your odds of surviving in a small town are astronomical compared to living in a big city full of highrises.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 02:18:57 PM »

Not at all. I am just a working stiff who manages to keep his head above the water.
I also got into the housing market on time and capitalized nicely on my first condo purchase.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 02:33:50 PM »

Agreed.
Anyways....I knew that would get some people here going. It is 'to each their own' however, but as an avid outdoorsman, I would feel claustrophobic living in a condo in Vancouver. Not to mention if there was ever a major earthquake, your odds of surviving in a small town are astronomical compared to living in a big city full of highrises.

To continue with the derailing of this thread. Most new towers in Vancouver should withstand a large earthquake.Also, highrises don't line every block of the city. In fact the vast majority of vancouver is low-rise apartments and single family homes. The only ones to really worry about an earthquake are those that live in Richmond or Delta in a building that was built before 1994 (Rodney).