Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw  (Read 45421 times)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
Re: Crazy people sockeye fishing; Seabird, St.Elmo, Laidlaw
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2014, 06:52:46 PM »

In Lillooet now and they are TOWing away here too, for sockeye.
Last week tried float fishing for sockeye in the Thompson with ghost shrimp with no success  but the BB crew were getting them.

Enjoyed watching the First Nations dip netting at Bridge River, lots of history there. Spent the night camped at Carpenter Lake, bit of an experience on the drive in, a lot of falling rocks. A bear nearly ran into the Leaf Mobile on the way out, off to the Thompson now for some chinook jacks.
Did you see many Sockeye just below the dam?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2014, 04:08:59 AM »

Did you see many Sockeye just below the dam?
Sorry I did not think to look and did not know they went up that far. Am I right in remembering a few years ago they spilled the dam and he wasted away a lot of spawn down river?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2014, 06:52:37 AM »

Sorry I did not think to look and did not know they went up that far. Am I right in remembering a few years ago they spilled the dam and he wasted away a lot of spawn down river?

Well, they have always spilled from the dam in order to maintain a certain water level in Carpenter Lake, so I am not quite sure what you are talking about. Sockeye, Coho and Chinook continue to spawn in the river just below the dam.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2014, 06:27:00 PM »

Well, they have always spilled from the dam in order to maintain a certain water level in Carpenter Lake, so I am not quite sure what you are talking about. Sockeye, Coho and Chinook continue to spawn in the river just below the dam.
I recall there was a lot of water released  for some reason that washed out a lot of the redds below the dam a few years ago.

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »

I recall reading about something like that (in the book by Randy Nelson) where a dam released water and did tons of damage to the channel, habitat etc...

but I'm not sure if thats the same location...