Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 15 Vedder steelhead on the fly in one day!  (Read 19646 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: 15 Vedder steelhead on the fly in one day!
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »

Does sound skeptical but so do double digit days on the Thompson which has happen to me more than once since the steady decline of fish.  You pretty much have to be by yourself and the run has to be silly with aggressive fish.  Still...on a fly and in murky water.  You've got to wonder if some of them weren't flossed, especially if it was shallow water fishing.  Not accusing anyone, though.....

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »

Just for the record, it wasn't Floon himself, it was his friend Norm.
And yes, both of them are terrific rods, but still...have you seen the Vedder in the last week or so? ???

Norm!!! Please clarifie, because if it Norm Godding, Floon was reffering to, you can take to the bank. There aren't many I would take my hat of to in this day and age but Norm Godding is one. He aint in the books, or the magazines but he is in the class of an icon. I met him at the Canadian National, last Sept and I can tell you he is the real deal and could put us all to shame.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »

Thanks Chris, I am still lurking, but with little time to go fishing.
Besides, the freezer is still well stocked with yummy halibut and ocean salmon.

No need to go out and kill hatchery steelhead...yet.

When is the next cleanup?
Won't miss it this time.
April 17. So not to hijack the thread talked to one angler today and he and his partner got 22 many years ago, on bait.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 09:48:57 PM »

Just for the record, it wasn't Floon himself, it was his friend Norm.
And yes, both of them are terrific rods, but still...have you seen the Vedder in the last week or so? ???

Norm is a good rod, but 15?

I'll ask him about it when I see him... I hope its not in the water that he and I compete for on our beat, he'll be there all season now ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 10:36:42 AM »

Accusing someone of flossing just because they caught more fish than you ever have or because they are using a method you do not use personally is useless conjecture and disrespectful.  Like all methods fish can be flossed but it all depends on the intent of the angler.  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:46:46 AM by Eagleye »

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 09:28:51 PM »

At the Vedder one day a few years ago I was with a well known spey caster and he said look! pointing out arround 30+ steelhead that were schooling in the canal area :o

Not sure why so many fish were there as this was not a deep pool
(Do steel head enter the vedder in schools or could this have just been a build up of fish moving in ?)

i decided to crossed the river as there was no room on the side where we were
but when i got there I could not get a spot as there were many fly fishermen lined up
then two of them decided to take a break and asked why are you not fishing
well i did not want to step in anyones run i replied, thats ok step into our spot he said

I got into at least 8 steelhead , only landing one :-\ (my first on the fly) ;D
most of the hook ups were head shakes with short run and spit of the fly

one took my up and down the run a bit, I thought the others guys would be mad with me but they were encouraging me. :)
I would say that had someone been where I was with more skill than me and the right fly they could have hooked way more fish than me that day (and landed more) :D
many fishermen\women dont have multiple days as once they get a hatch they want to keep it and then there day is done
15 in one day on the fly, way to go

J.G.

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 04:42:54 PM »

On the fly my best day was 16 landing 11 on the Bulkley. Every season up here you seem to get a couple double digit days.

I'm not going to post my best days fishing the Vedder with bait......It will start way to big of a fight...... ::)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 04:55:59 PM by J.G. »

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »

I don't think too many are disputing the fact that it could be done but rather the fact that it was during a time when the river was at like 2.5 and a foot or two of clarity

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
    • citycentermassagetherapy
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2010, 11:12:33 AM »

JUST HAVE TO POINT OUT THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT ITS MURKY CONDITIONS RIGHT NOW.  Not true!!  river conditions are pretty well perfect right now and ideal in many spots for spey fishing. The upper river esp has good vis. That being said my best day has been 5 fish, I would have missed out on that great day if I hadn't released the first one which was a 14lb hatchery buck.  That was good karma!  As for the 15 fish, anythings possible, but you'd think other fishers would have seen it.
Fish on!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2010, 11:21:56 AM »

JUST HAVE TO POINT OUT THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT ITS MURKY CONDITIONS RIGHT NOW.  Not true!!  river conditions are pretty well perfect right now and ideal in many spots for spey fishing. The upper river esp has good vis. That being said my best day has been 5 fish, I would have missed out on that great day if I hadn't released the first one which was a 14lb hatchery buck.  That was good karma!  As for the 15 fish, anythings possible, but you'd think other fishers would have seen it.

how much great spey water were you fishing a week and a half ago when the river was at 2.5m and 12" of visibility when this supposedly happened?

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2010, 11:36:55 AM »

well what date was it? a week ago I'd still say it was good upriver.
Fish on!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 12:02:13 PM »

back in 2007, i hooked a total of 7 (in a time span of 6 hrs)... managed to land 5...all wild... the first 2 were taken by a broodstock volunteer (i believe his name was Harry).
multiple hookups are not rare...you just have to be lucky and be at the right place, at the right time.

HOWEVER...i recall back in 2005 i was fishing for coho using roe in this particular hole where there happened to be a channel running right through the tail of the run...i was there for 2 hrs with no avail when this guy comes in from the other side of the river and started chuckin' flies...within 40 minutes of fishing...he managed to bonk his limit.
a few days later, i came across him again...this time i asked him what kind of presentation he was using...he told me he was fishing with the basic orange woolly bugger, but the secret, he told me was his lead weighted fly line... ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:35:26 PM by blaydRnr »

summersteel

• Old Timer
  • Nic nic.
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 12:38:33 PM »

back in 2007, i hooked a total of 7 (in a time span of 6 hrs)... managed to land 5...all wild... the first 2 were taken by a broodstock volunteer (i believe his name was Harry).
multiple hookups are not rare...you just have to be lucky and be at the right place, at the right time.

HOWEVER...i recall back in 2005 i was fishing for coho using roe in this particular hole where there happened to be a channel running right through the tail of the run...i was there for 2 hrs with no avail when this guy comes in from the other side of river and started chuckin' flies...within 40 minutes of fishing...he managed to bonk his limit.
a few days later, i came across him again...this time i asked him what kind of presentation he was using...he told me he was fishing with the basic orange woolly bugger, [/quotebut the secret, he told me was his lead weighted fly line... ::) [quote

heh, yes, that would be like me fishing with my type 7 fast sink. I'd get lots to "bite" that way.

HOWEVER...i recall back in 2005 i was fishing for coho using roe in this particular hole where there happened to be a channel running right through the tail of the run...i was there for 2 hrs with no avail when this guy comes in from the other side of the river and started chuckin' flies...within 40 minutes of fishing...he managed to bonk his limit.
a few days later, i came across him again...this time i asked him what kind of presentation he was using...he told me he was fishing with the basic orange woolly bugger, but the secret, he told me was his lead weighted fly line... ::)

heh,yes that would be like me using my type 7 fast sink, I'd get alot to "bite" that way.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:53:41 PM by bug pumper »
Fish on!

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 01:03:28 PM »

Accusing someone of flossing just because they caught more fish than you ever have or because they are using a method you do not use personally is useless conjecture and disrespectful.  Like all methods fish can be flossed but it all depends on the intent of the angler.  

guilty...no disrespect was intended by anyone (including myself)...but any experienced angler can't be blamed for raising an eyebrow.

i deleted my original post as not to open a can of worms...but i will say this...you can't cry foul when you've made the same call in the past (this is referring to the original thread from the flyfishing site).

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:29:13 PM by blaydRnr »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »

i deleted my original post as not to open a can of worms...

:)