Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 15 Vedder steelhead on the fly in one day!  (Read 19644 times)

milo

• Old Timer
15 Vedder steelhead on the fly in one day!
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

Of those fifteen, 12 got landed. They were all caught in the same spot by a friend of Floon's with a spey rod.
Or at least, that's how the story goes, according to Floon.

Just wondering, guys, ever heard of such a prowess on the Vedder?
I called BS on it and got a rather snide reply, but that's beyond the point.

My question to all you out there, especially the good rods and old timers: what's the biggest number of steelhead you ever hooked into in one day on the Vedder? How many caught in the same spot? State the year if you remember.

Cheers,

Milo (hasn't been steelheading yet this season)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 02:04:59 PM by milo »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: 15 Vedder steelhead on the fly in one day!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 02:01:31 PM »

Lot of people been avoiding the brown water so I guess some guys are cleaning up. Good on them. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:10:18 PM »

my best day was 13 none landed due to snags that i was fishing around  :'( I did have one tailed until it kicked out of my hands and busted off  >:( this was in '05 i think and late March in the canal. since then my best has been 2 in a day but stopped because second has been hatchery everytime its happened LOL

our best as a group has been 5 out of 3 guys with no hathery fish but everyone caught at least 1 which was perfect
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 02:11:38 PM »

I've got multi fish days from the same spot but nowhere near 15

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:51:25 PM »

Eight -2 years ago and everyone broke off because I neglected to change my main line during the off season.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »

My best day was six. As for suggesting Floon's report is BS, I wouldn't doubt the possibility. I know Johannesen has tagged more than that.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

chromer

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:17:57 PM »

I only have managed 3 in one day. Jan 31/07. But hooked 7 on Chehalis one day I think March. Unfourtunately my truck was broken into that day as well.
I had I guy hook a couple of beauties behind me in about 18" of water with a spey rod in an hour. I can't help wonder if the spey sometimes is the ulimate fl.....sing tool? I didn't say it alound but hmmmm?

the carp

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 03:31:04 PM »

Boy has this opened up a can of worms excuse the pun, if true kudos to the man, personally in 40+ years of pounding the vedder i have not come close to that number. I have known some of the best anglers from this area and I can think of only a couple of them that have attained those kind of numbers, and not from one run I would rather hear the tale of an excellent battle of one fish than numbers, just my opinion. just a note the anglers i spoke of were fishing bait short floated and not fly fishing.

Steelie1030

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 03:32:39 PM »

My best consecutive days was shared with my buddy who got 9 and I got 1, the next day I got 10 and he got 3. All in the same spot near Borden Creek but it was twenty years ago. We even managed to catch the same fish twice, we know this by the scars on the body. There just happened to be a school holding in this run. We went back the next weekend and not a fish to be had. Just goes to show that you need to hit the right place at the right time.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 03:52:35 PM »

Catching multiple fish with some multiple hookups of the same fish out of a deep holding pool using bait or scents is something I wouldn't doubt so vehemently.

But with a spey rod? On the Vedder? In this unseasonally high and murky water?

Sorry guys, but being a mediocre rod, who jumps in glee whenever I catch ONE steelhead (with three being my best day ever!), it sounds like Sci-Fi to me.

:o

the carp

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 04:03:27 PM »

Well put Milo, after all these years I still jump for glee when I catch one steelhead, I get excited when I see someone else catch one, especially if its a young person or a newbie, because i know the excitement they are feeling, I only hope that story is true as it bodes well for the numbers of fish coming back this year.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 04:25:04 PM »

best day is 6 on bait. in late feb.
Fish killer 101

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »

Catching multiple fish with some multiple hookups of the same fish out of a deep holding pool using bait or scents is something I wouldn't doubt so vehemently.

But with a spey rod? On the Vedder? In this unseasonally high and murky water?

Sorry guys, but being a mediocre rod, who jumps in glee whenever I catch ONE steelhead (with three being my best day ever!), it sounds like Sci-Fi to me.

:o

15 was possible in march of 05 in the canal...though the technique in the shallow water was suspect. thats not hating on spey fishing there were lots of snagged and flossed fish by all techniques.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »

I only have managed 3 in one day. Jan 31/07. But hooked 7 on Chehalis one day I think March. Unfourtunately my truck was broken into that day as well.
I had I guy hook a couple of beauties behind me in about 18" of water with a spey rod in an hour. I can't help wonder if the spey sometimes is the ulimate fl.....sing tool? I didn't say it alound but hmmmm?

It is!
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 04:45:03 PM »

Milo, could you clarify. These fish were supposedly caught this past week? if so I would definitely call BS!