Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 15 Vedder steelhead on the fly in one day!  (Read 19581 times)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: 15 Vedder steelhead on the fly in one day!
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 05:31:23 PM »

back in 2007, i hooked a total of 7 (in a time span of 6 hrs)... managed to land 5...all wild... the first 2 were taken by a broodstock volunteer (i believe his name was Harry).
multiple hookups are not rare...you just have to be lucky and be at the right place, at the right time.

HOWEVER...i recall back in 2005 i was fishing for coho using roe in this particular hole where there happened to be a channel running right through the tail of the run...i was there for 2 hrs with no avail when this guy comes in from the other side of the river and started chuckin' flies...within 40 minutes of fishing...he managed to bonk his limit.
a few days later, i came across him again...this time i asked him what kind of presentation he was using...he told me he was fishing with the basic orange woolly bugger, but the secret, he told me was his lead weighted fly line... ::)

leadheading, works like a charm.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2010, 12:05:09 AM »

It will be near impossible for the last week or two to hook into that many in the Vedder. Before you are into fish #3, crowd will swarm your spot already.  ;D ;D It is possible in March in upper river targeting the wild fish which gather in upper pools/runs. But I let them spawn as many may have been hooked multiple times before they get up there.

It is possible in some hot systems in the past. My best was 25 Gold River wild beauties fishing with a buddy. We hit the canyon pools when the river was in flood. We nailed these strong fish with a spin & glow bottom boucing with 3 ft leader and just nailed the steelies non-stop. It was a turkey shoot. A day I would never forget but wouldn't want to repeat. As some one said, it is not the steelhead fishing, the walking and hunting game we are used to. So I never went back. Now the Gold is no longer golden like before.

Best day in the Vedder was 7 fish twice. One was at the bottom section of Alison near the clay hill, and another was at the Wilson Road at the tall cedars. But these were years ago. I have seen many multiple hook ups in a run in 20 years of steelheading. A school of steelie left a lower unaccessible pool to swim up to the tail out of a popular run and you will see a major steelie battle scene - easily 9 to 10 steelhead have been taken in a hurry. One year, many years ago around a Bergman bottle neck run, I heard of 50 steelies taken in one morning. People told me the day after when I was in the run. The place was full of fishermen/women, prompting me asking why so many people in one run and one guy told me the 50 fish story.

In recent years, there were some good fishing in the lower Canal section in March/April when the low river condition just trapped the steelies there. If you are lucky, you could be into a few steelies before some one discover the actions and join in to dilute your catch. But if you are by yourself and there are a dozen + new steelies just move in, you will have your day to remember.

islanddude

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2010, 08:38:11 PM »

We used to have a wood stove back in the 60's.We would get wood in the lower riiver.Remember seeing fishermen catching one steelhead after another in a slot as they were going through.The best fishing that I had on the Vedder was when they closed it to catch and release in the 70's.We won't talk about numbers but you can use your imagination. All most everyone guit fishing.I moved to Campbell River in 1978.One of the first to use the pink snake on island rivers.Best day on the Oyster with the worm was 14.Fished the Cowichan river in the early 80's with Loyd Fulsom.We hooked 50 fish in 3 days.We lost our steelhead on Vancouver Island due to the flooding in 1989-91.It wouldn't have anything to due with clearcut logging?Don't get me started on this subject.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »

I believe it.  Sometimes the stars just align.  On a regular basis I would be highly skeptical of...but even then, who cares????  Big stink about nothing.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2010, 01:14:22 AM »

I believe it.  Sometimes the stars just align.  On a regular basis I would be highly skeptical of...but even then, who cares????  Big stink about nothing.

let's not forget, this is a forum after all...this is what we do and this is where we go to share our thoughts and experiences...just because we don't always agree or believe everything we hear, doesn't mean we can't indulge ourselves in conversation...no harm as long as we remain civil.

besides...this is just a way of keeping in touch with our sport when we can't get out on the river.  :)

dan-o

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 08:53:04 AM »

i am still happy to get one steelhead in 15 days!

Kristopher

« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2010, 07:45:49 PM »

but the secret, he told me was his lead weighted fly line... ::)
lol Is he supposed to skate dry flies for winter-run fish?

SD49

« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2010, 08:19:30 PM »

...my best day on gear (on the Chilliwack) was over 10 fish hooked....my tenth was a hatchery(behind the Prison). Best day on the fly was 17 fish between 3 anglers....not on the Vedder....all on minoow patterns.

SD49

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »

....must have been my 11th....