Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: speeding ticket  (Read 22998 times)

yakideath12

Re: speeding ticket
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 07:25:33 AM »

If taking that ticket to court or whatever gets that cop off the street for a few hours your doing everyone a favour. Even the police. That cop is just bad PR. Met lots of good officers and some real winners as well. I heard this was male PMS week too so that might explain things.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bateman

• paintings of fish and nature
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »

that is bad pr for the cops to give that out. look out for the cops in chilliwack too. i was given a ticket for going through a yellow light in the heavy rain where it couldnt be prevented. i would have slid all the way into the intersection. the cops were young and both of them had their hands on their guns and looked into the passengers as well. i got a 167 dollar ticket out of it!!!!
paintings of fish and nature:
http://www.folkart-levin.com

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2009, 10:44:45 AM »

Good on the officer for looking into the passengers.  You never know who you will bump into.  Hey the passenger may have a canada wide warrant for a serious offence and would probably be in the publics interest to apprehend them. 

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2009, 11:29:43 AM »

That reminds me of a night returning from pink fishing in Ft Langley a few months ago.

The police were on the lookout (unbeknownst to us) for that guy that killed himself in the motel in Hope and had a roadblock setup on the main back road between Ft Langley and Langley.

We pulled up to the road block and I forget what the cop asked but my buddy joked "We just picked up this guy hitch-hiking" referring to the guy in the back seat.

They were not impressed.

poncho

« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2009, 01:39:20 PM »

holy, I had a speeding ticket today on the way to stave. 80km highway limit, Police said i was going 82km.....

anyways, I have a ticket that my sign isnt on it. What happen if I dont sign on my ticket ???

It doesn't matter if you sign or not. On the back of the original white copy the Police submit there is a portion called "Statement of Service". The officer merely signs dates saying he served you the ticket. This is often done (without asking offender to sign) to avoid having them sitting their arguing, refusing to sign etc. Some cops just use statement of service as a matter of personal preference.

Whether you sign or not does not effect whether it is valid or not. Secondly, Police do not have right an exact speed on the ticket. It just falls into a range based on the ticket they give 1-20 over, 21-40 over etc. Not writing the exact speed on the ticket will not make the ticket invalid.

There has to be an error such as incorrect vehicle noted, date, driver's info etc.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2009, 05:12:18 PM »

i would be mad too.
       go to court , if the officer dosent show up  , you automatically win , thats the only chance of you winning

one friend of mine got a 360$speeding ticket , before the hearing the officer approached him and asked why he was there .officer  then said  "well plead guilty and ill subtract the fine " he agreed .
   so remember the officers face  if he does show up you need to talk to him before the hearing .   because once the hearing starts  and the officer opens his mouth . theres no chance  . the judge will go  with the person who presnts their case the best   . the officer is going to talk like a professinal lawyer
 let us know what happens   , good luck.

golferturnedfisher

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2009, 06:46:58 PM »

i have one way to get a ticket void
just before your court date send in a long long letter asking questions  like how to do you as officer calibrate the radar detector? what model is the detector? really any questions that concerns the ticket to the police officer who wrote the ticket or station of the police officer. if these question are not answered before the court date the judge will most likely thoughtout the ticket out because you(defendant) have the right to this information to build a case and since the police haven't answered these question the judge will award a miss trial
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:49:35 PM by golferturnedfisher »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2009, 06:53:19 PM »

That reminds me of a night returning from pink fishing in Ft Langley a few months ago.

The police were on the lookout (unbeknownst to us) for that guy that killed himself in the motel in Hope and had a roadblock setup on the main back road between Ft Langley and Langley.

We pulled up to the road block and I forget what the cop asked but my buddy joked "We just picked up this guy hitch-hiking" referring to the guy in the back seat.

They were not impressed.

I think the stress of the job sometimes slightly affects cops' senses of humour- I once mentioned that I was just out for a drive to clear my head after a couple pints and scouting out a spot to dump the body in the trunk... and he checked the trunk AND breathalized me too. :(  Mind you I had red eyes that night and was all dopy because i'd slept an hour the previous night (which probably affected my sense of humour too.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2009, 06:57:14 PM »

i have one way to get a ticket void
just before your court date send in a long long letter asking questions  like how to do you as officer calibrate the radar detector? what model is the detector? really any questions that concerns the ticket to the police officer who wrote the ticket or station of the police officer. if these question are not answered before the court date the judge will most likely thoughtout the ticket out because you(defendant) have the right to this information to build a case and since the police haven't answered these question the judge will award a miss trial

I think they use lasers now instead of doppler radar.  They just bounce pulse of light and count how many nanoseconds until its reflected.  In order for that to be accurate to be, it has to be an incredibly precise piece of equipment to start with.  My guess is that wont work.

golferturnedfisher

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »

I think they use lasers now instead of doppler radar.  They just bounce pulse of light and count how many nanoseconds until its reflected.  In order for that to be accurate to be, it has to be an incredibly precise piece of equipment to start with.  My guess is that wont work.

it doesn't matter what device they are using, it is the bases that you have right to build a case against the ticket, this a basic right in  Canadian law  remember Innocent till prove guilty you have the right to build a case, the police must answer these question. example in the pickton case, pickton lawyers had the right to view the evidence against his client if the police withheld evidence or evidence collection methods used information -miss trial, same princple  disclosure of evidence
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:42:57 PM by golferturnedfisher »

golferturnedfisher

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2009, 07:47:42 PM »

it doesn't matter what device they are using, it is the bases that you have right to build a case against the ticket, this a basic right in  Canadian law  remember Innocent till prove guilty you have the right to build a case, the police must answer these question. example in the pickton case, pickton lawyers had the right to view the evidence against his client if the police withheld evidence or evidence collection methods used information -miss trial, same princple  disclosure of evidence

sorry i couldnt remember the term but here its is

Right to make full answer and defence
Anyone accused of a criminal charge has the right to know the case against them and put forward a defence. In addition to being a principle of fundamental justice, this right is also protected by the right to a fair trial under section 11(d) of the Charter.
"Full answer and defence" encompasses a number of things, including the right to counsel (also see section 10), the right to examine witnesses, and most importantly, the right to full disclosure by the Crown this theory that will get you of the ticket
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 07:51:17 PM by golferturnedfisher »

poncho

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2009, 08:03:45 PM »

sorry i couldnt remember the term but here its is

Right to make full answer and defence
Anyone accused of a criminal charge has the right to know the case against them and put forward a defence. In addition to being a principle of fundamental justice, this right is also protected by the right to a fair trial under section 11(d) of the Charter.
"Full answer and defence" encompasses a number of things, including the right to counsel (also see section 10), the right to examine witnesses, and most importantly, the right to full disclosure by the Crown this theory that will get you of the ticket

Just so you know, a speeding ticket is not a criminal charge, it is a Motor Vehicle Act offence which only makes it a provincial offence. Either way, you are correct in that Police do have to answer your relevant questions. However, most disputed tickets will not be slated for court until at least 1 year later. And if you wait until 1 week prior to the hearing date to make a huge list of requested info, the JP will likely not care if Police didn't comply as you intentionally waited for an unreasonable amount of time prior to the request.

Also, if you get caught by a speed trap (laser etc.), those cops are traffic enforcement officers. They spend all day giving tickets and prosecuting them in traffic court. There is almost no question you can ask that they aren't already prepared for. You will likely lose. However, best bet is to meet outside the court room on day of hearing and if you agree to plead guilty, they will often agree to plead no evidence/not allege a speed. This allows you to ask the JP for a reduction in fine or seek more time to pay.

Just my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2009, 08:08:44 PM »

Its not a criminal charge .  Its motor vehicle act

golferturnedfisher

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »

its before court you ask them they  dont have time to answer a long sheet of questions those failing a right to disclose doesnt matter even under the motor vehicle act it is a law over powering that act

however you are right its better to meet the cop outside of court room

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:02:48 PM by golferturnedfisher »