Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no more teepee shanty town on the Vedder !!!  (Read 18102 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: no more teepee shanty town on the Vedder !!!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 07:09:22 AM »

Wonder if any of the occupants responsible for the break ins along the Vedder ?

I doubt it. People don't usually steal where they live. They hop on the skytrain.

But I think the real reason they got rid of it was the rich folks with the mansions found the squatters clashed with "their" idea of a "home" lol
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:08:02 AM by dennisK »

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »

Out of interest, why did it take so long to get this place removed?  I remember when a side channel of the vedder flowed by here before it was all Sweltzer water and the fishing in the pool was dynamite.  Loved going there and then found an early settlement there one day.  Never went back after that.

Dave B, I saw you on the news clip there.  Big thumbs up....

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 09:46:08 AM »

I doubt it. People don't usually steal where they live.

I remember there was mention of a red Honda involved in breakins on the river last year.
I saw the same red Honda parked at the campground at Tamahi.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »

You bet your crack pipe they were breaking into cars and stealing from peoples backyards (bikes, BBQ tanks etc.). When they had a set up on the Coquitlam river there was BBQ tanks floating down the river and car batteries in the river. They're not going to go get the tank filled when that would be the same cost as a few hits of crack or whatever. Same as car batteries. I feel for them, but at the same time when your cars been broken into 7 times I'd just as soon give them a cheap high with a baseball bat.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Frankey

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 09:20:02 PM »

Homeless people with no where to go! Don't celebrate too much!

speycaster

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »

Get it tight Frankey, it is TDMs living where they want which is some place cheap so they can have extra for drugs. Out of curiosity i wonder where their sh$t went, probably into the river after every rain.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 07:26:54 AM »

Get it tight Frankey, it is TDMs living where they want which is some place cheap so they can have extra for drugs. Out of curiosity i wonder where their sh$t went, probably into the river after every rain.

they used the campsite nearby according to the news article

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »

Homeless people with no where to go! Don't celebrate too much!

--You got it right!
--How about setting up some areas with proper sewer and water, hire some of the people that live there to keep it clean.
--They could be river shepherds, cleaning up the surrounding area, drug council for those that choose to participate etc.
--If we can afford a few Billion for GMC and Chrysler we should be able to afford at least basic shelter and safety for the few of our most vulnerable citizens who need it.
--Something about teach a man to fish and they will feed themselves. 

Frankey

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 01:50:08 PM »

Yes,spend $$$$ on the Olympics,a party for the rich!...How about some money towards social housing for the homeless.Funny how some people applaud kicking the poor when they are down.I find it sad myself.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »

Helping the poor is one thing. Helping crackheads is another. I dont mind my hard earned tax dollars going to help the truly poor ( ones working minimum wage jobs trying to get by ) but I dont want my tax dollars going to get that TDM who just stole from my backyard another fix. The screening process needs to be addressed more than anything. Why give to those who only want to take. I dont want my money going to lazy individuals who just refuse to get jobs and be contributing members of society.

If those crackheads are ready to be helped than fine they enter a rehab program ( that I dont mind paying for ) and get back into the workforce.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Frankey

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »

Drug addiction is a disease...there are very few rehab facilitys available in Chilliwack if any to treat the addicted.The bank of the river is not a suitable place for the homeless to setup shop and angers us as fisherman to see this on our favorite fishing river...but is living under a bridge or in a  dumpster behind safeway any different?

speycaster

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 05:27:01 PM »

Drug addiction is not a disease, it is a self inflicted problem. Nobody forced the first hit on them plus using drugs is a choice that they make. I have never read or heard of some one catching drug addiction from some one who was a user. Calling it a disease is just making excuses for the use of drugs.

Frankey

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 06:34:49 PM »

Saw on the news tonight its" National Homelessness Week" seems the problem is getting much worse with very little funding from governments coming in to biuld social housing.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »

All you bleeding hearts are what people educated on the subject call enablers. There is a drug addict in every family somewhere down the line. Then there are the family members that try to help them out with money or food or shelter and these addicts just take the help then lie to you about where the money went you gave them and steal, steal, steal. I know first hand about the subject. These people care about nothing until they have hit rock bottom and its further than you think. 50% will be like this till the day they die. The other 50% need to be striped of everything they have (stolen) and turn your back on them until they are forced to rebuild there own lives. Only have one chance in my book and then lose my number. My sister has been clean 5yrs now and has her kids back and running a coffee shop. I couldn't be more proud of her. Countless old friends were not so lucky. There is a big difference between a homeless family and crackers who thrive on living this way always looking to score from you to support themselves. Don't feel bad ! These people need to be kicked while they're down too. Love it or hate it i don't live in a bubble.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 06:30:54 PM »

All you bleeding hearts are what people educated on the subject call enablers. There is a drug addict in every family somewhere down the line. Then there are the family members that try to help them out with money or food or shelter and these addicts just take the help then lie to you about where the money went you gave them and steal, steal, steal. I know first hand about the subject. These people care about nothing until they have hit rock bottom and its further than you think. 50% will be like this till the day they die. The other 50% need to be striped of everything they have (stolen) and turn your back on them until they are forced to rebuild there own lives. Only have one chance in my book and then lose my number. My sister has been clean 5yrs now and has her kids back and running a coffee shop. I couldn't be more proud of her. Countless old friends were not so lucky. There is a big difference between a homeless family and crackers who thrive on living this way always looking to score from you to support themselves. Don't feel bad ! These people need to be kicked while they're down too. Love it or hate it i don't live in a bubble.

EXACTLY!!!!

I also have had friends go through drug addiction and found what you said to be the same. Some make it, some dont. You mourn them if they leave for the good things but dont feel sorry for them as they chose the life they led.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family