Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no more teepee shanty town on the Vedder !!!  (Read 18095 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: no more teepee shanty town on the Vedder !!!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 06:37:17 PM »

All you bleeding hearts are what people educated on the subject call enablers. There is a drug addict in every family somewhere down the line. Then there are the family members that try to help them out with money or food or shelter and these addicts just take the help then lie to you about where the money went you gave them and steal, steal, steal. I know first hand about the subject. These people care about nothing until they have hit rock bottom and its further than you think. 50% will be like this till the day they die. The other 50% need to be striped of everything they have (stolen) and turn your back on them until they are forced to rebuild there own lives. Only have one chance in my book and then lose my number. My sister has been clean 5yrs now and has her kids back and running a coffee shop. I couldn't be more proud of her. Countless old friends were not so lucky. There is a big difference between a homeless family and crackers who thrive on living this way always looking to score from you to support themselves. Don't feel bad ! These people need to be kicked while they're down too. Love it or hate it i don't live in a bubble.

Well said. Good on your sister on being clean 5 years.

Frankey

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 08:58:20 PM »

And how do you guys know these people were crackheads from what i read in the local paper here in chilliwack there was no stolen property found at the site.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 09:08:36 PM »

And how do you guys know these people were crackheads from what i read in the local paper here in chilliwack there was no stolen property found at the site.

"There were no high-end stolen goods found at the camp Friday, but there were a lot of bikes with their serial numbers scratched off, chainsaws, fishing equipment, propane bottles, a kayak - and bolt cutters."

#1 item on my camping equipment list is the bolt cutters ::)

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »

I guess some kids bike being stolen by a crackhead doesnt matter to you but how do you think that kid feels whose bike was stolen? Maybe his parents cant afford to buy him a new bike. Ya poor crackheads.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Frankey

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2009, 07:19:03 AM »

I have kids...the article i read didn't mention the stolen goods.I dont condone Drug addicts but i do feel for homeless people,i think society has failed big time in this respect,spending billions on the olympics instead of social housing to get these people off the streets.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 07:56:51 AM »

I have kids...the article i read didn't mention the stolen goods.I dont condone Drug addicts but i do feel for homeless people,i think society has failed big time in this respect,spending billions on the olympics instead of social housing to get these people off the streets.

Let's get real.....  If it wasn't for things like the Olympics, evil new development projects, etc. etc., then there wouldn't be any money to be able to build any social housing...

I'm not saying I'm for all these things, but I realize that social services are not affordable unless the government has someplace to get the money(taxes). I can't believe there are still folks out there that think the government has a machine that just needs to be switched on and it pumps out money that should be used to help everbody?!? There will always be people on the streets. The easier you make it for people to get social services the more people you will have taking advantage of the system. While it is a problem that needs to be addressed, it is not a problem that will ever be solved.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Frankey

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 09:43:25 AM »

The problem is getting worse not any better.Maybe there will always be homeless people on the streets but the #s of people keep growing and growing, the government is doing nothing to stem the flow.People here celebrate the removal of the shanty town on Sweztler creek, but where are these people going to go?They may be Drug addicts but there still penniless with no help available.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 11:42:52 AM »

When we dismantled this site we did not find any drug paraphernalia, just some personal meds for one of the occupants.  There were a lot of hand tools, 4-5 bikes and bicycle parts, all old and well used;  many empty propane cylinders and small batteries, lots of lumber used for buildings and many, many tarps and blankets.
To my knowledge the RCMP found no stolen property but there was evidence of wire stripping.
There were considerable personal items like books, toothpaste, mirrors, shaving equipment, canned food and clothing.  The fishing tackle we found was junk, probably just left by anglers.  The housing and their contents varied between outright squalor (mould, wet blankets, etc) to pretty well built units with separate rooms and wood heaters, complete with insulated chimney pipes. 
I have seen one of the occupants riding his bike around Vedder - not sure where he is living now.

As I posted earlier, kudos to the Integrated Land Management Bureau  and the Ministry of Tourism, Sports and Arts for arranging this cleanup.  I believe the high end development directly above this site, the eroding mountainside and the Provincial goal of hiding our homeless people from the soon to arrive Olympic tourists also played a role.

Frankey

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »

Nice a first hand report of someone who was there.Were any of the occupants present and if so were they offered alternative accomodations?And yes you bring up a great issue whats Gordo going to do when the party for the rich begins i know there are alot of anti poverty groups gearing up big time to bring publicity to this issue during the olympics.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 12:32:55 PM »

Two of the occupants were present and yes they were offered alternate shelter.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 01:28:49 PM »

Nice a first hand report of someone who was there.Were any of the occupants present and if so were they offered alternative accomodations?And yes you bring up a great issue whats Gordo going to do when the party for the rich begins i know there are alot of anti poverty groups gearing up big time to bring publicity to this issue during the olympics.

So are you willing to pay more taxes to house crackheads? I'm not....

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Frankey

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 02:30:25 PM »

You my friend just don't get it..no stolen property found on site and no drug paraphernalia...doesn't sound like drug addicts.Glad to hear they were offered accomodations elsewhere...i wonder if they accepted them or chose to keep living on the streets somewhere else?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 02:48:16 PM »

You my friend just don't get it..no stolen property found on site and no drug paraphernalia...doesn't sound like drug addicts.Glad to hear they were offered accomodations elsewhere...i wonder if they accepted them or chose to keep living on the streets somewhere else?

If you look over this thread you are in the minority with your bleeding heart. How do you know they are not crackheads? How do you know they are not criminals? If they are neither why are they not even working a minimum wage job contributing to society?

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Frankey

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 04:59:04 PM »

You know i used to think like you, i despised homeless people because everything i have, i worked my a@$ off for.But since then i have seen first hand what someone goes through being drug addicted and homeless, i find no joy in the tearing down of the shelter on Sweztler creek ,not saying it wasnt needed,just another example of kicking the poor when they are down.We need more social housing to get these people off the streets.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 05:30:58 PM »

You know i used to think like you, i despised homeless people because everything i have, i worked my a@$ off for.But since then i have seen first hand what someone goes through being drug addicted and homeless, i find no joy in the tearing down of the shelter on Sweztler creek ,not saying it wasnt needed,just another example of kicking the poor when they are down.We need more social housing to get these people off the streets.

I worked on Main & Terminal in Vancouver for 5 years. I saw it all. I do not wear shaded glasses my friend. I feel sorry for the truly poor. One that work for a brutal minimum wage that can barely afford food or other necessities. Or how about single mothers with dead beat fathers who dont pay child support. The working poor are the people I feel sorry for and believe those are the people we need to help. We need to do things such as make more affordable housing, increase minimum wage, add more affordable training programs etc. I do NOT feel sorry for those who CHOOSE to live on the streets ( as their are many who do and panhandle etc for drugs and booze )

Belong to the "4 F Club"