Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I found where all the coho are!  (Read 21953 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: I found where all the coho are!
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 07:26:07 PM »

did this happen in the lower or upper river? why did they not keep the fish why leave them there? how can this happen with so many pepole on the river

Theres a limit of 4 fish a day.  :-\
The Bigger The Better!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 07:56:25 PM »

This was a net left to sit in the river at a choke point.
Many fish that had to pass there got trapped. The picture shows only a small number of what probably happened.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 07:58:29 PM by adriaticum »

cohojoe

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 07:59:58 PM »

some time way back in the 80's  some one told me how to destroy illegal nets like that.   the DFO or whoever was officially in charge of water way with fish would occasionally put out a hay bail with some dowels sticking out .    I was not able to confirm this technique of snagging the net violators  but that would seem like a very low cost and effective way of sweeping the water way of nets  every  night or day.     bales of hay do not cost much  and probably decompose after they disintegrate.   However what do you do with the net and all the dead fishes  at the bottom of the  river ?

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 08:43:40 PM »

there is a sockeye in the mix there in between a coho and spring, (top middle)

that is just absolutely DISGUSTING :-X >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »

Isn't there first nations land just upriver from the vedder crossing?  hmmm...

Disgusting as it is, let's not point fingers at FN yet.
Racially based speculation takes us nowhere.

FWIW, why couldn't it be that some FN guy ran into a couple of whiteys who were snagging in the area, gave them $hit, then whiteys leave and come back with a net and set this up to incriminate the FN guy. How's that for conspiracy theory?

Whoever did this will hopefully get caught and get the punishment they deserve.
 >:(

No sense in blaming FN right now even though the local track record is not so cheam. Other ethnicities  like a quick buck as much as the FN.

CT
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 01:12:08 PM »

This is disgusting, but I don't see this as being much worse than the methods employed by some who are using rods and reels.  I have only fished the Vedder a few time because I have been so sickened watching guys flossing and sight-snagging fish.  The whole culture of fishing on that river is terrible.

Without significant help from the authorities this may be a lost cause, but I think that those of use who care have to do everything that we can to make this a sport fishery again.  If someone is snagging, call them on it!  At first try to educate, because some people new to fishing don't even realize that what they are doing is wrong, but when the situation merits threaten that you will call DFO.  Follow through if they don't clean up their act.

Nitram4891

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »

Thats ridiculous.  To catch them with a net is messed up but to leave them to rot next to the net really takes the cake...

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 04:42:21 PM »

Ok, I know we're debating the lesser of two evils, but at least snaggers are there to be accountable for their own actions.  This is by no way saying that they are being held accountable, but could be.  Also, nets do far worse damage when left in.  They catch fish and other species 24/7. 

Personally, I think if a few people were publicly chastized for netting/poaching/snagging, we would have a lot less of it going on.   

SmokeyRiver

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 04:45:57 PM »

My First thought was someone from the reserve back there.. as FN have been known to leave unwanted fish to rot out in the open. Definatly not going to point the finger tho as this could have been anyone. At least the snagged fish that are released still have a percentage of survival... this net tops any form of bottom bouncing by far. On that note there are already small scores of chum bucks rotting  on the beaches of the Fraser.... just disgusting. >:(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 05:02:46 PM »

There is a presumption (which only the owner of this photo would know if it is correct or not) that the net was found on dry land with dead fish removed from the net and placed beside it (as shown in the photo). This photo may very well have been taken when officials removed the net from the water.

Secondly, why are we once again making comparisons between the negative effects of snagging and netting when they are not backed up by quantitative facts?

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 05:29:02 PM »

How far up from the crossing, and when was this found?
The Bigger The Better!

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 08:17:16 PM »

Personally, I think if a few people were publicly chastized for netting/poaching/snagging, we would have a lot less of it going on.   

I'm with you.

Rodney, I think the guy that took this photo found it like this. I can't remember if he said he pulled more out. He said the fish were fairly fresh we he saw it.

There is no comparison between this and snagging. You have to be a damn lunatic to leave a net in the water in a tiny river like Chilliwack.
This must have been done at night. I can't imagine that anyone seen with a net in that area would not end up with a broken neck. Or something.
I know the fishing pressure in that area has increased quite a bit this season.

robj

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2008, 12:01:30 PM »

This is very bothersome for many reasons.  Dead fish being left there to rott, river being damed by a net.  A net placed in a narrow sectio of the river can destroy the Salmon run in no time.  Has DFO removed the net?

I also do not think it is fair to point fingers at FN's or any other group.  This is not a FN's issue, it is a criminal act.  Yes I have seen questionable fishing tactics performed by some FN's as I have seen done by many other people as well.  Finger pointing at a specific group without any meaningful evidence is worthless and not right.

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2008, 08:48:34 AM »

Absolutely disguested in some people.
there is a sockeye in the mix there in between a coho and spring, (top middle)

that is just absolutely DISGUSTING :-X >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
you'r correct there seems to be a sockeye in that mix
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

shoreboar

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »

Collectively we should bring more digital cameras while fishing, not only to show off our fish, but to photo document these types of finds and send an email (with pics)  to the DFO and the press as well. Imagine the impact of these issues ending up in the Sun!  It won't fix the solution forever, but more press could help scare off the offenders for a while. Thoughts?