Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anybody thought about.....a salmon tag?  (Read 11017 times)

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
Has anybody thought about.....a salmon tag?
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:11:08 PM »

We are heading for trouble on our salmon fishing. I know, and about all us fisherman know people are abusing the legal daily limits of fish.

Why have we not thought of or put in place a salmon tag. Buy a fishing licence and then get ONE chinook stamp. One Sockeye. One Chum ect ect ect...get my drift? That way..after your tag is used you will not be able to keep/retain anymore salmon..catch and release only. Catch your chinook...remove your tag....punch the date....tag your fish....you're laughing!!!

Or has this been hashed out..but I missed it??

Just mad about all the laws and no teeth!

Bob
The Green Horn

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Has anybody thought about.....a salmon tag?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »

The problems facing the Salmon fishery are environmental in nature and can't be solved by bureaucrats.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 08:43:52 PM »

You're probably right SS but it doesn't mean it is a bad idea to do what we can.  Beats throwing your hands up in the air.

troutmuncher

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 03:51:13 AM »

I would be happy to be able to just catch even one of each salmon species to keep .The only trouble is I cant catch even just one salmon in a whole year.Just save some for me and less for the greedy suits me fine.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:09:12 AM »

Those that will tag their fish will obey the limit.  Those that's not obeying catch limit... they won't be tagging.

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 09:59:01 AM »

I thought about something like that for Sockeye openings. Maybe you buy a book of tags for a set price. All socks landed must be kept and all fish must have a tag, no exceptions.

You could even make the tag books be a draw like in the Limited Entry Hunting. Once you are out of tags, no more fishing for that species.

This method would give the DFO a rough idea of how many fish would be taken via controlling the number of tags going out.

Green Horn

• beat the water..til the fish crawl out to ya!!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »

And yet another darn good idea of the use of tags. How does a person get the powers that be to look into this. So to save our fisheries. And make more money for extra D.F.O. manpower! (or woman power)
The Green Horn

maniac1001

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 11:07:38 PM »

Those that will tag their fish will obey the limit.  Those that's not obeying catch limit... they won't be tagging.
Exactly,
I hear about this every year where guys will quickly scratch down their catch on their license a couple seconds before the DFO's show up.
It would be just as easy for them to stamp a sticker on,
I like the idea but it won't stop those who fish illegally.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 11:20:27 PM »

You would think DFO would see the person quickly pulling out their liscence, why not go over to that person right away before they can write it down. I'm pretty sure DFO could also fine them anyways since they have ultimate authority.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 10:10:52 AM »

there were tags about 18years ago, i think it was a trial thing.
I remember buying the licence, and also buying 3 or 4 tags aswell, as soon as the fish was landed
it was like a zap strap threw the mouth and gills. 
I'm suprised you old farts don't remember this.

maniac1001

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 10:44:11 PM »

You would think DFO would see the person quickly pulling out their liscence, why not go over to that person right away before they can write it down. I'm pretty sure DFO could also fine them anyways since they have ultimate authority.
I know what you mean but with two or three guys in a big boat, with a canopy, it doesnt take much for the guy to jot it down quick if his license is somewhat handy.
Its unfortunate...

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:57:13 AM »

So what about fish purchased at the side of the road?Are we going to see tags on those too?All anyone has to say now is that is where their fish came from!
Riverman

eddapuss

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 07:26:39 PM »

What about us dumbasses who can't catch a damn thing?
We just enjoy getting out, and trying. Not much expectation of catching anything, but that's not why I'm doing it.
I like the peace fishing brings me....

Did some guy suggest a book of tags for the season?
That's nothing but a money grab, another in a long list of them, but the Bureaucracy doesn't need any more work.

I ain't pre-paying for something I'm unlikely to catch, anymore than I already have to.

Dude probably works for the DFO, who micro-managed everything to death on the east coast. Job security issues, y'know.

"We'll tell you how to manage the stocks, OK? We'll tell you when you can, and more importantly when you cannot fish, OK? Mummy knows best,...and we'll tell you when the fishery is finally kaput!...but we'll be the last ones out, if you get my drift. We'll get the light."

Moby ********
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:54:40 PM by Rodney »

Keener

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »

I agree with the idea of the tags, but I think it'll be a nightmare trying to enforce it. No matter what you do... someone will find a way to get around it which is sad if we're trying to preserve our fisheries for the future. I think it'll be easier to shut down the river for retention every odd year or month to give the fish a chance.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 05:13:44 PM »

Nothing will work other than laws and harsh punishment.
The laws are there we just have to work on the punishment part.
If you had to sit in jail for a year for catching 1 fish over limit, you wouldn't do it.
And if all of you had to balls to report people who do, instead of "it's none of my business" thinking, things would be great.