Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: C&R'n the sockeye  (Read 10973 times)

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: C&R'n the sockeye
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 08:35:11 PM »

Bad idea steelhawk, that would screw us all for pinks... It's happened before... I believe in 2001... Water was thick with fish and you couldn't target salmon.

Can we not just behave responsibly?

A very fun fishery is coming up, and those fish bite. It's the best way to get new anglers into salmon, they are very aggressive.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

glog

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 08:49:28 PM »

Rodney please get off the soap box. You’re digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole with these pontifications.

So sorry that you didn’t get your way and your tantrum had no effect..

In guess you didn’t know Canada is a democracy and the majority is what make the decisions whether we like them or not.

Its very simple if you want to stop the discussion follow the forums advice from before and stop bring up the subject, trying to ram these elitist fishing ideas down the average goys throat.  . Bottom bouncing is not illegal, a majority of people want to fish that way. Go after the real cause in fish stock the NETS and stop picking on the average fisherman who wants to go out a get a couple of salmon for his freezer, enjoy the fresh air and get some excercise

All your tantrum does is confirm the attitude that as far as your concerned there are no other opinions but yours. Sorry but that’s not the way it works and yelling and screaming stamping your feet and rail against anyone who dares to disagree with your almighty opinion is going to have the complete opposite effect and lower all credibility.

cheers

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 08:59:44 PM »

Here's a good solution......... Go to the scale bar or wherever and hand out a no fishing ticket good till sept.

this would mean that if they really dont like the way your fishing they could stop you from fishing for the remainder of that particular run, or season.

no fines just a stay away from the fraser ticket, I think you'll see more people give it up.

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 09:46:41 PM »

I agree that nosey should not confront those people!! I also agree with nicole BRING ON THE PINKS!
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

Nuggy

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 09:58:50 PM »

I agree that nosey should not confront those people!! I also agree with nicole BRING ON THE PINKS!

Don`t count on a spectacular Pink salmon run just yet. I`ve been out twice this week fly fishing pinks with my friend and mentor. He`s been doing this since about 1981 and he says this is one of the worst returns for pinks he can remember. It`s possible the runs could be later than normal but we will have to wait and see. I`ll here more from him in a few days as he`s fishing pinks this whole week he has off on his holidays.

BTW, it`s not like we are not running into Pinks...just not what would be considered *normal* amounts showing up.

Cheers
Nuggy

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 10:27:21 PM »

Rodney please get off the soap box. You’re digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole with these pontifications.

What? Ran out of pop corn?

Yes, majority makes the decision, which are not made ON THE INTERNET. Where am I telling those who have a different view to shut it? I'm suggesting that those who have a strong view should push for their thought through proper channel where decisions are made. I see two very unorganized bodies that actually think they are making a difference in a tiny school yard.

I am not pro or anti flossing. I read your and everyone else's posts and all have some very valid points. You people have one common goal, yet you let yourself split apart with one tiny difference instead of sitting down together on a table to figure out what needs to be accomplished. It's a tragedy that one does not know whether to laugh or cry about. Why isn't there a group formed to accommodate barfishers so there is a representation on the SFAC (there isn't one at this point)? Why isn't there a group formed for those who are interested in sockeye fishing so they can pinpoint the problem in their group, work with DFO and fix it (oh wait! they exist already, join them)? Instead people are willing to use the media to sway people's opinion or make changes without the other group's knowledge, then come on the discussion forum to tease the opposition as if there has been a victory. Democracy?

News flash people. There are just under 10,000 people visiting this website (let's not be confused now, the website, not the forum) each day. A small percentage of those visitors come in the discussion forum to read or participate. The same people revisit the forum each day, it averages around 1 new participant every two or three days. Most of us are only here for one reason (raise your hand please), to read the fishing reports, find out where the fish are biting, good store deals, learn how to catch more fish, share fishing stories, photos and videos with those who you have become friends with. A small number of people are the same participants who get involved in this repetitive discussion, which generates no interest from the rest of us (I'm interested? No, I have to read it. You come up to me and talk about flossing in real life, I nod and nod until you stop talking). Yes, a few people read it and pick it up with great interest, but if you think that you are changing how this fishery is operated by discussion forum participation....

The advice still stands for both groups (since 2003 actually, I'm just stating it more strongly now). Quit whining on the forum, form the organizations needed, get the regulations fixed or whatever changes that accommodate you.

Tantrum...

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 10:41:56 PM »

Nosey, respectfully, why don't you edit your public post NOT to include the exact location if you are concerned.

Nosey, respectfully, why don't you edit your public post NOT to include the exact location if you are concerned.

It's strange to say the least - on one hand you say you are concerned about the socks and on the other hand you advertise the location of where to get them.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 10:43:43 PM by dennisK »

nosey

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 11:21:57 PM »

It's not just those two bars, right now on every sockeye bar up here there are people out ignoring the fisheries request to make every effort to avoid catching sockeye that they possibly can which btw was repeated again in their sockeye update yesterday,at this time of year it doesn't matter, the scale bar is crowded and announcing that on the internet is no news to anyone and the end of St. Elmo is also being fished to capacity. I'm sorry Rodney doesn't believe his forum has any impact on the way people view the fishery and if he'd look at the numbers he'd probably realize that more people read this thread today than any fishing report published in the last month. I thought it was a serious current conservation related problem I was addressing in my first post and he responded to me with sarcasm and ridicule, if he just thinks people are here to read the fishing reports why even have a general discussion section. If the DFO are still making the request that people should make every effort to avoid sockeye and people are still ignoring it, it should be mentioned somewhere where fishermen are reading it and more fishermen read this forum than any other place I can think of.

nosey

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 11:32:10 PM »

whoops I checked  the numbers well 545 reads in 9 hours is pretty close to the fishing reports also if you'll read my first post you'll notice that I wasn't the one that mentioned snaggers, bottom bouncers, or flossers, that was all brought in later by someone who was definitely RANTING. Fly at it I won't be posting on this thread again.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 11:42:49 PM »

Nosey, I'll spell this out for you since you don't seem to understand.  How do you think that starting yet another thread about flossing on the fraser on this site will stop those who choose to ignore DFO's selective fishing request?  The majority of those out there flossing away don't even read Rodney's site and those that do obviously don't care what you or your friends have to say.  Do you have anything new to report that we don't already know?  Do you know how much time and effort it takes to moderate a website everytime something like that is posted?

I'll ask you again, since you are so concerned with the  Fraser sockeye runs, are you willing to forego your retention of springs for the rest of the year (and possibly not fill your card) so that the "unselective" methods get curtailed?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 11:46:25 PM »

lol... Not sure why I still bother, but what the heck, it's not midnight yet. ;D

I'm sorry Rodney doesn't believe his forum has any impact on the way people view the fishery and if he'd look at the numbers he'd probably realize that more people read this thread today than any fishing report published in the last month.

Really???

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15464.0 <-- 955 views
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15450.0 <-- 1065 views
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=15476.0 <-- 772 views

So far the number of views on this thread, 548 views. Am I missing something? ???

By the way, the number of views does not represent the number of people. Being so obsessive on this topic, I probably clicked on it at least 50 times so far. That's 50 views! Do the math, oh wait...

if he just thinks people are here to read the fishing reports why even have a general discussion section.

Correction, I don't think, I know. Somehow I doubt you're getting the traffic report that I am getting, unless you have the password...

Perhaps a revisit of my previous post is needed, as usual:

Most of us are only here for one reason (raise your hand please), to read the fishing reports, find out where the fish are biting, good store deals, learn how to catch more fish, share fishing stories, photos and videos with those who you have become friends with.

Does that explain the existance of a general discussion section, or should I break it down further?

it should be mentioned somewhere where fishermen are reading it and more fishermen read this forum than any other place I can think of.

Think harder, or reread my post:

There are just under 10,000 people visiting this website (let's not be confused now, the website, not the forum) each day. A small percentage of those visitors come in the discussion forum to read or participate.

And... because of that, the information is put at a place where most readers will go to when they enter the website. Like...

The Fishy News!!!

where you'll find this lovely notice and ongoing fishery notices from DFO.

or...

The Lower Mainland Fishing Report!!!

where you'll find...

The non-tidal section of the Fraser River continues to remain dirty and high. Barfishing is difficult but not impossible. The best fishing is still a few weeks away. For more information on the Fraser River chinook salmon fishery, please read this notice. Due to a low abundance of sockeye salmon, no sockeye salmon fishing is currently allowed on the Fraser River. For more information, please read this page.

Convinced yet? Or am I still lying?

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 11:58:50 PM »

I forgot about you Nicole..you can have an honorary set of jewels as you got more then allot of guys I've met..

So much for the banner idea Rod...you party pooper...

I had a nice little song all ready too..

"Onward christian fisherman, marching as to war...with a cross full of snaggers, going on before"  Or something like that.. ;D

Merc, what do you mean your getting a "Little" fat...hell brother, i've seen that belly.. :o...can't be making fun of my tattered old bod anymore... :'(

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 12:06:01 AM »

In guess you didn’t know Canada is a democracy and the majority is what make the decisions whether we like them or not.

Actually, in Canada, the loudest gets heard and makes the decision.  Definitely not the majority.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 12:14:49 AM »

Actually, in Canada, the loudest gets heard and makes the decision.  Definitely not the majority.

Or the guy that locks the topic ;)

ALL OF YOU!!!!!  Quitcher bellyachin'  You've turned poor Rod into MORE of a raving lunatic than he already was and you're just making more and more desirable to shut the forums down for "Summer vacation" in the future.

Everyone(Rod included!) Go! Out! Buy a cheap boat (inflatable - anything) and paddle onto a lake..  Drop the anchor, and close your eyes.  Don't have to fish... just pretend... I do it in a boat all the time... I call it fishing, but it's really just my little excuse to get away ;)