Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cates Park, August 12th  (Read 4979 times)

Nikko

Cates Park, August 12th
« on: August 12, 2007, 06:42:32 PM »

Was out there all day today - and right at 4:30 my youngest finally hooked one. It's his first (ever). But man - those fish are HUGE teases! They were jumping and surfacing all around the boat, but not at all interested in what we were trying to give them.

We tried Cate's, Roche, then the next point (towards Deep cove), back to Cates and finally up to the boat ramp (where he caught it).

Saw a few taken from shore, and a few from fly rods in boats, but not a lot taken over all.

Nikko

calfisher

Re: Cates Park, August 12th
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 08:10:30 PM »

I tend not to post much, but sometimes I just have to.  There were two guys in a Legend boat today.  One guy hooked, landed and bonked 6 fish.  He was about to bonk one that he dragged in by the tail, when a couple of guys took him to task (thanks Rick and the guys in the canoe).  He decides not to bonk in plain sight of everyone, but takes the fish and gives his best overhand throw.  The fish goes up in the air 10 feet and lands 10 feet out. 
He then pulled anchor and moved a short distance away.  Guys like him make us all look bad.  We can try to educate, put peer pressure, but would a call to DFO help?  Even if there were pictures and maybe a cell phone video, it would be hard to get charges to stick.

On a positive note, my gear got tangled with a guy in a 20+ foot boat and I noticed the barbs on the treble hook weren't pinched, when I told him, he realized he hadn't and pulled out the pliers to pinch the barbs, then thanked me.  Education does work.

Oh, and the fishing was good also.  Got two in the short time I was there.

Cal

David_R

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 09:31:40 PM »

Hey guys, new to the forum and the lower mainland fishing scene. I got my boat out to cates park today to try my luck with the pinks, I tried buzz bombs, zingers, spoons in orange/red blue and green, even tried spinners with gold blades and nothing, got one little bite all day. I did get out a little later cause the wife wanted to sleep in with me this morning.

Only saw one guy in a boat net a fish. I didn't see the bonking/snagging thing you described, I went towards the ironworkers to try fishing closer that direction and when I was returned the park area I thought I saw the DFO RHIB being put up on a trailer at the launch. Did they come and do the rounds?

As for the fish being little teasers, yup!

It was beautiful to see them rolling and jumping just out of arms reach right in front of me on the water, I haven't been that close to salmon since I was growing up on the skeena.

Well, I guess I'll try my luck over the week. It's too bad work keeps me off the water for most of the day, wave hi if you see two people in a inflatable with a small evinrude johnson outboard on the back, one fishing and one crocheting, I think we'll be hanging around the park this week in the evening.

If anyone sees me (or me and my wife) out on the water in our little 8ft inflatable with a even smaller evinrude junior motor, wave hi :)

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 09:41:34 PM »

Was out tonight with a friend. Was his first time salmon fishing. Right off the bat I landed one and soon after my buddy landed his first ever salmon. I then lost another two more including one which was about to be netted.
weeeeeeeeeow!

David_R

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 09:54:49 PM »

Thanks for looking out for a new guy ;)
I'm pretty aware of the navigational hazards of burrard inlet/indiam arm. I don't dare take my boat under the bridge it's way too small, when I was fishing I was still far far east of the bridge. And yes I did indeed notice the disrespectful boat operators ripping by, I had to row my bow into the waves and once wasn't quick enough and got a wetass from a wave slapping over the side of the boat.

What seems to be a working lure for the people who actually landed some pinks? I didn't have my spectacles with me but from what I was seeing looked like almost everyone was casting out a hot pink buzz bomb.

(jk gone fishin: I got there around 12:30 and left around 8pm)

David_R

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 06:42:06 AM »

yeah that was me, i originally just anchored but it seemed like my anchor wasn't setting with the current and I kept drifting close to a larger boat

Nikko

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 08:28:08 AM »

David - we saw you there (tied up). We were in the old turquoise boat and for a while we were anchored right beside you.

Gonna try and go back out this evening - gotta a get the other boy his first fish now!

Oh - the "DFO" Zodiac was probably the BC Parks Zodiac (orange??)  - I saw their truck/trailer in the parking lot and I saw them come out of the north arm and Up Burrard earlier in the afternoon. I did see RCMP waking the beach, but that was because of the concert in the park. Thought for sure I'd see DFO out there but they were no where to be seen.

Nikko
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:33:31 AM by Nikko »

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 09:37:44 AM »

I think i saw you guys. I was in the Red lund with the 20hp Johnson.
weeeeeeeeeow!

Nikko

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:52:12 AM »

Yup - I think we drifted down on you once and the kids almost caught themselves their first Lund on a cast. oops!! (sorry 'bout that!)

Nikko

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 03:22:34 PM »

Hey guys, new to the forum and the lower mainland fishing scene. I got my boat out to cates park today to try my luck with the pinks, I tried buzz bombs, zingers, spoons in orange/red blue and green, even tried spinners with gold blades and nothing, got one little bite all day. I did get out a little later cause the wife wanted to sleep in with me this morning.

Only saw one guy in a boat net a fish. I didn't see the bonking/snagging thing you described, I went towards the ironworkers to try fishing closer that direction and when I was returned the park area I thought I saw the DFO RHIB being put up on a trailer at the launch. Did they come and do the rounds?

As for the fish being little teasers, yup!

It was beautiful to see them rolling and jumping just out of arms reach right in front of me on the water, I haven't been that close to salmon since I was growing up on the skeena.

Well, I guess I'll try my luck over the week. It's too bad work keeps me off the water for most of the day, wave hi if you see two people in a inflatable with a small evinrude johnson outboard on the back, one fishing and one crocheting, I think we'll be hanging around the park this week in the evening.

If anyone sees me (or me and my wife) out on the water in our little 8ft inflatable with a even smaller evinrude junior motor, wave hi :)

Hi David, just a word of caution when boating in Burrard inlet....be cautious! I saw alot of crazy stuff going on in different parts of the inlet yesterday. There is a complete lack of respect from some boaters towards anyone else on the water.... I saw a really nice new boat full of people including kids not obey the markers at Maple Wood flats and run his boat into a gravel bar ::) all sorts of other boats ripping by really close to the fishing boats at Cates.....Also be very careful of the waters around the Iron Workers bridge as the chop gets crazy in there with the tide rips and boat waves.

Cheers
Nuggy

Very good and accurate advise... Be carefull , others arent.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 03:24:40 PM by Mabelingwane »
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 05:07:35 PM »

Yup - I think we drifted down on you once and the kids almost caught themselves their first Lund on a cast. oops!! (sorry 'bout that!)

Nikko

aahaha no worries
weeeeeeeeeow!

pikey

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 08:50:11 PM »

Saw a little bit of fun there on Sunday when a boat anchored up (same distance as all the other boats from shore) and one guy onshore didn't seem to like it much.

The boat was a good 80 ft offshore and all the pinks were running about 40 ft off the beach, so I'm not sure what was going on.

Some shouting and hollaring ensued followed by a not very polite cast over the boat with a buzz bomb and a treble hook.

He seemed really surprised when this resulted in his line geting cut...

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 11:03:00 PM »

That sounds nasty!

It's strange, there are schools of pinks everywhere around there, but everyone has to fight over one or two schools...

I guess these guys in the boat did not have a fish finder?

Shows a real lack of imagination!
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 08:21:48 AM »

Allmost sounds as bad as the Stave. ;D

David_R

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 08:31:01 AM »

Same thing happened to us on sunday, my wife got a hairful of monofilamint line as some guy on shore chucked a buzz bomb inches away from our heads. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not but we were also sitting close to where the fish like to jump and roll.

I politely lifted the line off our boat and pulled up anchor to get a little further out of casting distance.

Remember guys, no one owns the water or the beach, be considerate of everyone around you.