Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is what i heard about the Sockeye ......  (Read 20437 times)

Sinaran

This is what i heard about the Sockeye ......
« on: August 12, 2007, 06:12:45 PM »

Spoke to a fisheries manager who has been managing the southern BC and Fraser river for the past 25 years today about the sockeye situation, he gave me enough information to answer all the doubts i had regarding the fishery.  There are 3 major reasons why sockeye stock in the Fraser river is stumbling.....
1.: Global warming - the truth that a lot of us already known, and really can't do much about it. As the ocean become warmer, lots of fish migrate up north, thus bringing in numerous amount of predators (eg:makarel, lots of them!!). Most of the predators are very active fish, they are highly motive and tend to consume lots of food.  And yes, they feed on the young salmons..
2.: Food source - Sockeye's major food source, the Plankton, has been disappearing in the ocean in recent years.
3.: Mysterious spawning ground fatality - He told me that the research team found this stunning problem. Lots of sockeye dead not long after arriving to their spawninig ground..most of them died before they spawned.  And the lab coundn't find out why..

He also mentioned that the return in the next 3 years or so would be lowest in in years too. And if problems are not solved, we may see the sockeye run on the Fraser river extinguished in 30 years.

Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
Re: This is what i heard about the Sockeye ......
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 06:33:43 PM »

I've talked to many an angler recently, and the common thought is that sockeye will become pretty much extinct in our lifetimes...

Quite the legacy for people's children...

:(
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 06:37:49 PM »

Next will be the Dam on the Fraser.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 07:44:45 PM »

Yep, instead of collectively working on environmental problems that is dwarf what people continue to bicker about, we will sit and watch it happen.

The sooner the Fraser River sockeye salmon runs extinct, the happier people will be. Why much happier? Some will finally have their head pulled out of their rectal cavity, smell the fresh air and see the bigger picture. Others will have more room on the river to fish. A few decades from now, looking forward to that indeed.

There are only two reasons that so much time, money and energy are spent on one fish species - economical and self interest. Meanwhile, world-wide extinction of "less important" species continues at the largest scale in history without even being noticed.

It's a funny species. Be a flosser, oops, I'm sorry, snagger, or an angler, somehow a perfectly normal individual can sometimes turn into a nasty, inconsiderate, backstabbing prick whenever the term "sockeye" is brought up. Some psych grad student can really do up a good thesis based on this phenomenon.

Kill them all and start the celebration. They won't be missed, by me anyway. Presevation of an evolutionary product since glaciation? Ha! As if that's what has been on people's mind.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2007, 07:48:59 PM »

Well said Rodney.  Folks around here can't wait for the next species to go extinct so they won't have to mitigate for them when they develope their land. 

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 08:02:16 PM »

I'm looking forward to the human species becoming extinct....

We seriously do not deserve this planet.

???
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 08:10:38 PM »

Anywhere you have crowd, then mob mentality appears. Try to budge into any meat holes in any rivers for any fish species, you will get nasty reaction. Try  force your way into Vedder Limit Hole, Tamahi Rapids, Lickman, Chehalis hatchery run, Bible Camp run, Cap Cable Pool etc., you will get the same response from the crowd like any crowded Fraser bars. Try to force your way into a crowded bar-fishing bar, you will get the same unfriendly treatment. What has it to do with Sockeyes? It will happen to pink hot spots too right now, or the Cap coho at the mouth when the fishery is productive.  So good luck sockeyes. I hope they survive nature and greed of man who turns them into a $$$$ machine under whatever pretense of profit or tradition.  :(

I say DFO should get rid of those massive killing machines/nets from sockeyes if they want to save the species. Let those who want to eat a fish catch it with their one rod and one hook, like our fore-fathers did, then there will be some chance for any fish, not just sockeyes  ;)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:16:08 PM by Steelhawk »

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 09:03:40 PM »

yay lets dam it so we can finally have bass the best game fish of all, in all our river after the salmon die out :)
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

buck

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 09:28:46 PM »

Lots of concern for sockeye but little said about the poor return of chinook. Snaggers and drift nets still taking whats left over. Should be lots of jet boats for sale in a couple of years, if you could find someone to buy them. Four strikes and your out--- coho, sockeye , chinook and finally sturgeon.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 12:50:56 AM »

No worries, there'll always be chums and pinks for people to toss around and kick back into the river.

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 06:14:41 AM »

I've talked to many an angler recently, and the common thought is that sockeye will become pretty much extinct in our lifetimes...

Nicole

Just add it to the list

extinct or endangered:

# African Elephant
# African Wild Asss
# African Wild Dog
# American Alligator
# American White Pelican
# Asian Elephant
# Asian Lion
# Atlantic Salmon
# Black Lemur
# Black-footed Ferret
# Blue Whale
# Bowhead Whale
# Carolina Parakeet
# Cheetah
# Chimpanzee
# Coelacanth
# Common Green Turtle
#    Dodo
# Eastern Cougar
# Eskimo Curlew
# Fin Whale
# Flightless Cormorant
# Gaur
# Gavial
# Giant Anteater
# Giant Armadillo
# Giant Panda
# Gorilla
# Great Auk
# Grey Whale
# Grizzly
# Humpback Whale
# Imperial Amazon
# Indian Rhinoceros
# Jaguar
#    Crested Ibis
# Kagu
# Kakapo
# Kemp's Ridley
# Komodo Dragon
# Leatherback Turtle
# Leopard
# Loggerhead Turtle
# Mediterranean Monk Seal
# Moas
# Mountain Gorilla
# Orangutan
# Passenger Pigeon
# Philippine Eagle
# Piping Plover
# Pronghorn
# Przewalski's Horse
#    Pygmy Hippopotamus
# Sea Otter
# Sei Whale
# Shortnose Sturgeon
# Snow Leopard
# Takahe
# Tapirs
# Tiger
# Trumpeter Swan
# Vancouver Island Marmot
# West Indian Manatee
# White Rhinoceros
# Whooping Crane
# Yak

And if you really want to get edumucated with a more comprehensive list including plants (which is really staggering considering how many of our important medical and recreational drugs come from plants) - check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinct_species
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 06:20:50 AM by dennisK »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 08:30:20 AM »

Nicole

Just add it to the list

extinct or endangered:

# African Elephant
# African Wild Asss
# African Wild Dog
# American Alligator
# American White Pelican
# Asian Elephant
# Asian Lion
# Atlantic Salmon
# Black Lemur
# Black-footed Ferret
# Blue Whale
# Bowhead Whale
# Carolina Parakeet
# Cheetah
# Chimpanzee
# Coelacanth
# Common Green Turtle
#    Dodo
# Eastern Cougar
# Eskimo Curlew
# Fin Whale
# Flightless Cormorant
# Gaur
# Gavial
# Giant Anteater
# Giant Armadillo
# Giant Panda
# Gorilla
# Great Auk
# Grey Whale
# Grizzly
# Humpback Whale
# Imperial Amazon
# Indian Rhinoceros
# Jaguar
#    Crested Ibis
# Kagu
# Kakapo
# Kemp's Ridley
# Komodo Dragon
# Leatherback Turtle
# Leopard
# Loggerhead Turtle
# Mediterranean Monk Seal
# Moas
# Mountain Gorilla
# Orangutan
# Passenger Pigeon
# Philippine Eagle
# Piping Plover
# Pronghorn
# Przewalski's Horse
#    Pygmy Hippopotamus
# Sea Otter
# Sei Whale
# Shortnose Sturgeon
# Snow Leopard
# Takahe
# Tapirs
# Tiger
# Trumpeter Swan
# Vancouver Island Marmot
# West Indian Manatee
# White Rhinoceros
# Whooping Crane
# Yak

And if you really want to get edumucated with a more comprehensive list including plants (which is really staggering considering how many of our important medical and recreational drugs come from plants) - check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinct_species

Did they not want to add sturgeon to this list at one point.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

2slow

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 08:45:08 AM »

I have a unique idea for helping the fisheries on all our rivers. If I recall salmon have a 4 year life cycle, If the government put a ban on salmon fishing in rivers by anyone for 8 years we should be able to get a better idea of what is really happening to the fish.If the stocks start to rebound we know its overfishing, it they continue to decline we know its a global ecological problem. I kind of think that salmon fishing once they hit the river should not be allowed (even though I enjoy it) as no matter what spin we put on it, we are removing fish that have had a hard battle just to survive and get there from reaching their final goal. If we want more fish we need to stop killing them until the fishery rebounds and if it doesn't rebound then they are going extinct and we shouldn't be fishing em anyway. And as a side note catch and release is not an option because there is way to high a mortality rate with this style of fishing. I always have to shake my head at the people that look down their beaks at someone who bonks a fish for diner then proceeds to brag about how they caught and released 10 that day........guess what they killed more that day than the bonker did.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 09:47:10 AM »

I like your last few sentances. I too feel in certain circumstances what you say is true esspecially on fish that have a long migration run to complete, after being caught and released.

In the case of steelhead that are in their natal river waiting to ripen and spawn catch and release apperas to be ok.

A two year radio tagging study we did on the Chilliwack Vedder a number of years ago proved a very high percentage of fish after being caught and tagged completed this stage of their life.

I should pull out the summary paper and get the correct figures for you.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 10:42:44 AM »

I'd be happy to put my rod away for 4 years to save the salmon on rivers... I doubt other user groups would be willing to do the same.

Cheers,
Nicole

-Garrett Hardin