Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: This is what i heard about the Sockeye ......  (Read 20448 times)

Sandhead

Re: This is what i heard about the Sockeye ......
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 11:23:31 AM »

I'd be happy to put my rod away for 4 years to save the salmon on rivers... I doubt other user groups would be willing to do the same.

Cheers,
Nicole

Never going to happen too much money in play. Plus, I think it would take cooperation at the government level between Alaska, BC, Washington, Oregon and California in order for any conservation effort to even have the chance to be effective. The best thing, I believe, for the salmon would be a coast wide ban for a few years in order to rebuild stocks. That will never happen though. One day all we will have left is Chum
Ain't no HO like a COHO

FLOSSNBONK

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 12:34:10 PM »

So, our elected government body thinks there is a problem with returning Sockeye. Great, lets shut down the fishery to everyone BUT FN. What a joke. Want it to work?... Shut the river down period. No C&R , no nothing, at least for a couple cycles.

And Chris, If C&R kills one Steelhead... is that acceptable, if Steelhead returns are in trouble? Did your study factor in how many millions of fertilized eggs get smashed every year while the fish chasers stomp all over the spawning beds? I think not. You are no more a conservationist than any of the Sockeye flossers. Your just a little better than most in skewing your actions and words to make everyone believe you are part of the solution. The solution is... shut down the bluddy fishing for a few years period, and stay out of the rivers.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 12:35:42 PM by FLOSSNBONK »
Catch your limit, go home. Catch and release kills fish, and is cruel torture.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 12:46:46 PM »

Never going to happen too much money in play. Plus, I think it would take cooperation at the government level between Alaska, BC, Washington, Oregon and California in order for any conservation effort to even have the chance to be effective. The best thing, I believe, for the salmon would be a coast wide ban for a few years in order to rebuild stocks. That will never happen though. One day all we will have left is Chum

yep, you're totally right... We're doomed.

Salmon farmers must be LOVING this!

:(
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 12:48:57 PM »

And Chris, If C&R kills one Steelhead... is that acceptable, if Steelhead returns are in trouble? Did your study factor in how many millions of fertilized eggs get smashed every year while the fish chasers stomp all over the spawning beds? I think not. You are no more a conservationist than any of the Sockeye flossers. Your just a little better than most in skewing your actions and words to make everyone believe you are part of the solution. The solution is... shut down the bluddy fishing for a few years period, and stay out of the rivers.

Actually, the Vedder is closed to angling during that sensitive time. Steelhead spawn from late april to June in the upper river, up into the permenantly closed area. Trampling would not be a problem.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

FLOSSNBONK

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 01:11:49 PM »

Yea I know the Vedder is the centre of the universe. It has enhancement. Unlike many other systems in the province. Are you trying to tell me no wild Steelhead eggs get smashed during May? C'mon! Let's just leave the poor little devils all alone for a few years and let them fully recover? The less man meddles in these things the better sometimes, wouldn't you agree?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 01:20:26 PM »

Yea I know the Vedder is the centre of the universe. It has enhancement. Unlike many other systems in the province. Are you trying to tell me no wild Steelhead eggs get smashed during May? C'mon! Let's just leave the poor little devils all alone for a few years and let them fully recover? The less man meddles in these things the better sometimes, wouldn't you agree?

Well in May the veddar is fly fishing only and I don't think that there are many people fly fishing and june is a complete closure. I think the eggs are pretty safe. I for one do think that Chris is part of the solution as he is one of many doing work for the hatchery catching their stock as well as countless hours on the river that does not even include  carrying a rod but a plastic bag replacing the ones he set up before for people to put garbage in or the countless hours organizing clean ups.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

FLOSSNBONK

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 01:26:02 PM »

"Well in May the veddar is fly fishing only and I don't think that there are many people fly fishing and june is a complete closure. I think the eggs are pretty safe. I for one do think that Chris is part of the solution as he is one of many doing work for the hatchery catching their stock as well as countless hours on the river that does not even include  carrying a rod but a plastic bag replacing the ones he set up before for people to put garbage in or the countless hours organizing clean ups."

Like I said, It has enhancement. All the work and personal time that goes into it... better for the fish? Or someones personal agenda?

2slow

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 01:29:41 PM »

Try to keep from turning a productive debate into a personal attack. When I see people doing things to the best of their abilities to maintain and support our fishing heritage I give them Kudos not condemnation. From what I have seen from lurking on these forums for the past 2 years Chris does more than his, mine and your share of trying to protect our fishing heritage. So again when you turn it into a personal attack you lose your credibility in a debate. And when i said shut down fishing on all the rivers I did mean the FN fisheries also they have a huge impact on the stability of the salmon runs in our rivers. To see them out with there nets and complaining about the lack of fish should be an indicator to them to pull the nets in and sit down with the biologists and try to figure out what to do so that next year they wont be complaining that there is only one fish in the net.

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 03:25:56 PM »

Well the report is based on a study conducted on the Vedder...

There you go.
Nicole

And yes I agree with you, but my opinion is a bit stronger. The sooner that humans die off, the better this planet will be...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 03:28:11 PM by Nicole »

-Garrett Hardin

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 06:50:56 PM »

Yep, instead of collectively working on environmental problems that is dwarf what people continue to bicker about, we will sit and watch it happen.

The sooner the Fraser River sockeye salmon runs extinct, the happier people will be. Why much happier? Some will finally have their head pulled out of their rectal cavity, smell the fresh air and see the bigger picture. Others will have more room on the river to fish. A few decades from now, looking forward to that indeed.

There are only two reasons that so much time, money and energy are spent on one fish species - economical and self interest. Meanwhile, world-wide extinction of "less important" species continues at the largest scale in history without even being noticed.

It's a funny species. Be a flosser, oops, I'm sorry, snagger, or an angler, somehow a perfectly normal individual can sometimes turn into a nasty, inconsiderate, backstabbing prick whenever the term "sockeye" is brought up. Some psych grad student can really do up a good thesis based on this phenomenon.

Kill them all and start the celebration. They won't be missed, by me anyway. Presevation of an evolutionary product since glaciation? Ha! As if that's what has been on people's mind.

Never has a truer word been uttered. It’s sad but true.

Rodney for president!!!!!

The sadest for me is I know for a fact its going to die, may it be for what evert reason it may, but what do i tell my kids???????????

what happened to pervervation of our resources, thats what us Canadians do, do we? ( Yes im doing my citizenship and that is what they say we should do.)

It will be like the Cod in Atlantic Canada, black and white fotos and TV programs is all that is left, what was blammed for that I ask?

A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »

So, our elected government body thinks there is a problem with returning Sockeye. Great, lets shut down the fishery to everyone BUT FN. What a joke. Want it to work?... Shut the river down period. No C&R , no nothing, at least for a couple cycles.

I am sorry if you take it that way but that is your right to do so. As I am just a volunteer and have nothing to gain from what I do but I just try to make things better for the fish. If I have failed I guess I have to apologize for that. None of us are perfect and I am no different.

Thanks for your point of view that I am sure others may hold as well.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2007, 09:21:11 PM »

whoa everybody,  goddam hold your horses here,  Nicole wants to kill us off, everyone else wants to shut down fishing,  jesus open your eyes,  its a single year that sockeye havent been as strong as forecasted,  last year remember we were open a whole month and the returns were fabulous, this years Coho returns are  looking to be amazing for any of the fishers on here that have been on the west coast will atone too, The water levels have been higher this spring and summer and cooler and survial of the summer stocks(spring sockeye) will probably be increased due to larger and cooler flows. The Pinks AGAIN are returning in HUGE numbers for what 4 cycles now??? The sockeye have been decimated by overharvesting in IMHO by commercial and native nets. Without really knowing the numbers that were harvested by unbiased observers, the DFO is now in damage control. So lets look at this picture as a whole and not as piece meal

Cam, Sockeye are down due to ocean conditions that have yet to be resolved. They are still looking for the reason.
Next year will be worse and they already know this.Do not expect to be fishing them on the Fraser next year.
Not a strong run and ocean conditions still to be checked.
Coho are strong and that was projected and it is happening, thank God.
Pinks should be strong in the Fraser, not strong on the ECVI yet and that is a concern.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2007, 09:58:53 PM »

Ya DFO sure knows where to deflect the problem. It is the ocean and the climate change, stupid. Nothing to do with the mis-management by their lack of will to enforce their rules on those massive killing nets illegally drifted or placed all along the river by the 'tradition' group. Sockeyes have been available from native sources for a while, has any body from that group been charged? Unless the government has the gut to stand up to that group, no remedy is good enough for the sockeye.  :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 10:10:43 PM »

Blah blah blah. If only I get a penny for the same statement I read again, and again, and again, and again.... and again.

<yawn>

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 10:31:53 PM »

Blah blah blah. If only I get a penny for the same statement I read again, and again, and again, and again.... and again.

<yawn>
Rodney's right, stop complaining about it and form a organization or through a group you belong to and start doing something. Put together a document or something you can present to the government,get an audience with the Federal Standing Committee of Fisheries in Ottawa, get the public support and maybe you can make some changes where others have failed. Once you get a group formed with a mission statement I will donate to your cause.

You sound like the right people to do it and get somewhere with it.