Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Am Back, Alexandra Morton Clips  (Read 26706 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: I Am Back, Alexandra Morton Clips
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2012, 11:38:23 AM »

Well they got one thing right yet it is missing some accurate details.

researcher-turned-activist Alexandra Morton

I strongly agree that morton dropped her researching methods to act solely as an activist.

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 01:32:46 PM »

I don't think we will have to worry about fish farms in BC for much longer.

With the Chilean farms building back up after their devastating loses a few years ago, you can't possibly compete with them in the world market.

Their production costs must be less than half of the costs in BC.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »

With the Chilean farms building back up after their devastating loses a few years ago, you can't possibly compete with them in the world market.

And then some people have no clue... :D
Take the T out of Morton.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »

You should talk - you're an embarrassment to your side of the argument.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »

You may be correct. Just posted by Alex 4 minutes ago "Hey Marine Harvest, drove past your hatchery in Sayward today and your sign is gone! Are the rumors on the coast true that you are running away from BC"?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »

If they can't pass CFI tests, they can't sell those dirty fish in Canada then. Dave's going to go into withdrawl. ;) Try the Basa Dave if it happens. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2012, 08:06:44 PM »

If they can't pass CFI tests, they can't sell those dirty fish in Canada then. Dave's going to go into withdrawl. ;) Try the Basa Dave if it happens. :)

I like catfish! tilapia and farmed Atlantics too ;D.
Wow, breaking news from Ms. Morton. thanks Chris, who would of thought??
Keep dreaming I suppose, but salmon farming is here to stay and will expand in BC.  Start fighting for important issues before its too late.
Sorry, going somewhere dry with the MH, won't be around for a week or so to argue my point.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »

You should talk - you're an embarrassment to your side of the argument.

Thats not possible Im not backing Morton at all.
Take the T out of Morton.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2012, 05:53:53 PM »

I have given up talking to DFO or the Province of BC.  Below is a letter I sent this morning.

Dear Chief Rupert Wilson and Chief Rod Allan:

I am writing to report that farm fish in your territories have tested positive for European viruses known to the salmon farming industry in Norway and elsewhere that these Norwegian companies operate. They are not known to be natural to British Columbia.

Chief Wilson on June 3, 2012, an eagle picked up a dead Atlantic salmon from a mort tote sitting on the Shelter Pass salmon farm owned by Marine Harvest.  It took the salmon to a nearby island where we were able to take a small sample from the fish.  This fish has tested positive for the piscine reovirus, which scientists believe causes Heart and Skeletal Muscle Inflammation.  It is known to cause heart failure in salmon, it turns their hearts to soft mush.  It is unknown if a salmon can swim up a river with this in her heart. This diagnosis was done in Norway at the University of Bergen. I have described and posted photographs of the extraordinary circumstances that provided this sample to us: http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2012/06/dear-marine-harvest-shareholders-1.html
Chief Rod Allan on March 25, 2012, we bought farmed steelhead from the Fairway market in Victoria on Quadra Street.  I have received positive test results for Salmon Alphavirus from these fish.  Norway is having a great deal of problems with this virus, forcing Marine Harvest to cull an entire farm right now due to this.  The market told us that they bought these fish from the Lois Lake steelhead farm in your territory.  West Coast Fish Culture reports they do rear Atlantic salmon in their hatchery from egg to the saltwater phase. I know they received 1,000,000 eggs in 2007 and raised them for one of the Atlantic salmon farming companies in BC.  I don't know more than this. This is the first report of this virus in British Columbia, there is one other report of the disease it causes - Pancreas Disease - in Atlantic salmon in BC  (Dr. Michael Kent ,ex-DFO in 1987).  I have posted details here: http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2012/06/first-detection-of-salmon-alphavirus-in-bc-farmed-steelhead-1.html

Government and industry are going to tell you these tests are wrong. Industry swore under oath at the Cohen Inquiry into the Fraser sockeye that no exotic disease have entered BC in Atlantic salmon.  I don't believe this to be true. I am using labs that are internationally recognized, have published extensively on salmon diseases and are bravely continuing this work in the face of assault on their careers for this and related work.

I am at your service to answer any questions or to discuss the next steps. I feel an enormous sense of tragedy that no one in government or elsewhere has reported these European viruses. I continue to find ISA virus - the salmon flu, but await more complete results.

Wild salmon deal with disease by dying.  That is their first line of defence against epidemics, the death of the individual preserves their race.  Farm salmon are simply replaced, they die, they are replaced by more, thus diseases have the opportunity to reproduce, mutate and spill by the trillions into surrounding waters, an unprecedented bio-hazard. Your fish have never faced this before salmon farming.  Most of the Fraser sockeye are passing Shelter Pass as I write this.  I don't think Shelter Pass is exceptional, it is simply the one place an eagle provided us with a sample.

Respectfully and at your service,

Alexandra Morton, Gwayum'dzi
Anissa Reed

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »

Chris,

Could you please post the lab reports from those findings?  Or is it to early for Mr.Morton is still spreading her interpretations of the reports.

Looks like the pristine lois lake farm, approved by ocean wise and the david sizuki foundation, is getting clumped in with all the others.  Its ironic that morton attacks them just after the release of an organic certification for farmed salmon. 

Seems she has re-appeared:http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?20117-New-Atlantic-virus-in-steelhead

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »

Chris,

Could you please post the lab reports from those findings?  Or is it to early for Mr.Morton is still spreading her interpretations of the reports.

Looks like the pristine lois lake farm, approved by ocean wise and the david sizuki foundation, is getting clumped in with all the others.  Its ironic that morton attacks them just after the release of an organic certification for farmed salmon.  

Seems she has re-appeared:http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?20117-New-Atlantic-virus-in-steelhead

Will when I see them. You should wade in on the link you provide here and ask Alex the questions you keep asking here, here is your chance.  ;D ;D The others here will also get involved on this forum I am sure. :-\ :-\ ;D

We will be watching and follow that thread.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2012, 04:07:10 PM »

Chris, I wonder why Ms. Morton doesn't address this site?  Surely she knows you will back her play ...  I for one would love to debate her "science." ::)
I think I have worn out my welcome on the forum aquapaloosa mentions but believe even they, the ones that would kill the last chinook or coho because it's their right as sportsfishermen are tiring of her constant appeals for money.

Call her - ask her to post that data.  What can she lose if it's real?  And, what can she lose if it's another bogus media event ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »

Chris, I wonder why Ms. Morton doesn't address this site?  Surely she knows you will back her play ...  I for one would love to debate her "science." ::)
I think I have worn out my welcome on the forum aquapaloosa mentions but believe even they, the ones that would kill the last chinook or coho because it's their right as sportsfishermen are tiring of her constant appeals for money.

Call her - ask her to post that data.  What can she lose if it's real?  And, what can she lose if it's another bogus media event ;D

I would think she can accomplish a lot more doing what she is doing, as opposed to coming on here and having to read your heckling......

As far as asking for money, you must be aware that she doesn't have the deep corporate pockets that the Norwegian companies have.  ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »

I think Mrs. morton is loaded!$$$$$ If not her mommy sure is.  BILLIONAIRE!!!!