Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I Am Back, Alexandra Morton Clips  (Read 26589 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: I Am Back, Alexandra Morton Clips
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 07:32:30 AM »

Bill in all seriousness, this is a fight that can only be waged through free media. It takes a lot of money to make the public aware of an issue and unlike the feedlots and the government, Ms Morton has little. Using the FN to help promote an awareness of the dangers these feedlots hold for our oceans is brilliant. The FN will make noise about it and the media tends to pick up stories like that.

Now if you are like the pro feedlot fellows on this thread that either don't believe the feedlots are harming our wild salmon, or are in the unfortunate position of having to support their families by working in the feedlot business, then you will also likely criticize Ms Morton for using the FN group in this way.

I personally think she is doing a great job of turning up the heat on the feedlots and the government. Without her heroic efforts the feedlots would be a greater threat than it appears they already are. 

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »

Cheam Band is what it is; a band lacking leadership regarding salmon harvests and long term conservation.

I have been away for awhile, as soon as I watched the clip  my thoughts were the same as Dave's. Chris was Ms Morton there to get support from the Cheam Band or to educate them?
I would say both Bill and also some sampling took place the next day during the first F/N opening for chinook's for 1012 other than some ceremonial fisheries that took place in the Lower Frasere River.

As we all know this whole scenario be it fishery related or like Bill 38 are very complex. I certainly donot know the answers to all of this but one can only do what one believes in. Even with all the short coming we seem to be in lately we still live in the best country in the world. One only has to look to the strife in many other countries to acknowledge that fact but we still have to stand up and express our views, that's what democracy is all about.

I, like many others here, disagree at times on many subjects and what is posted but I respect all. As I say many times life is too short to do otherwise.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 12:35:45 PM »

Great shot of my buddy Simon :D  But hold on here ... aren't those sea lice on that chinook?  That can't be good can it?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2012, 08:21:12 PM »

CTV report from May 22.

http://youtu.be/fBwmsa3gK88

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »

As we all know this whole scenario be it fishery related or like Bill 38 are very complex. I certainly donot know the answers to all of this but one can only do what one believes in. Even with all the short coming we seem to be in lately we still live in the best country in the world. One only has to look to the strife in many other countries to acknowledge that fact but we still have to stand up and express our views, that's what democracy is all about.

I, like many others here, disagree at times on many subjects and what is posted but I respect all. As I say many times life is too short to do otherwise.

That was a pretty decent post, sir.  Anyone that is a friend of Dave can't be that bad.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure if this is related to what Ms Morton is talking about, but I noticed that a person on another forum questioned why Marine Harvest Canada had recently fallowed 20 farms on the east side of Vancouver Island.  He refused to ask MHC the question – basically siding with his own beliefs that something devious was happening.  I was curious to find out for myself, so I decided to take the initiative and ask.  I received this response yesterday.

Thank you for your email.  Although Marine Harvest Canada (MHC) owns 70+ leases, it usually uses about 42 of the most optimal sites (the remainder are older sites not suitable based on today’s production expectations and strict regulatory criteria). Of those 42 sites, about 30-35 are typically in ‘use’ at any one time (the remaining laying fallow between cycles).

However, in October 2011, MHC reported that production would be decreased as well over 2012 and 2013 in response to global increase in supply.  According to industry analyst Kontali, the global supply of farmed Atlantic salmon has increased 18% during the third quarter of 2011.  The company expects the increased global supply levels to continue into 2012 and in response the company has decreased stocking levels by about 30% in 2012 and 2013. The end result is about 7 less sites being stocked right now. These 7 sites plus regular fallowing is perhaps what has raised this question. The October 2011 news release by MHC about reduced production is posted here: http://www.marineharvestcanada.com/news102811.php.

Marine Harvest currently has 27 operating sites.

We don’t have an account for the discussion board you linked us to – if you know of any way to add that information to the discussion, that would be most appreciated.  Alternatively, feel free to post a similar question on our Facebook site – we can answer your question there for others to see.

BC Salmon Facts

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2012, 07:54:37 AM »

Thanks for the sluething SS.  Who would have thought all Ms. M had to do was call .... no doubt Charlie from that other site already know this and that is why he is strangely silent.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »

Chris, would you mind sharing where you lifted that Morton quote about the CR farms being emptied from?

Anyone else know?

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 01:34:01 PM »

CTV report from May 22.

http://youtu.be/fBwmsa3gK88

Yup take the T out of Morton.... ;D ;D ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »

Chris, would you mind sharing where you lifted that Morton quote about the CR farms being emptied from?

Anyone else know?
Sorry where is that, very busy the next few days with the protest of Billl C- 38 this evening and the FVSS meeting tonight as well for the derby this weekend. Then off to the Island, where does the time go? :-\
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:53:31 PM by chris gadsden »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »

I'm not surprised.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 06:09:02 PM »

Chris, you talk transparency, all should be revealed, that's why we're in this mess, etc. ... so, what's up? why not reveal the source of your post ?  How bad could that be?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 06:49:17 PM »

Chris, you talk transparency, all should be revealed, that's why we're in this mess, etc. ... so, what's up? why not reveal the source of your post ?  How bad could that be?

Anyone else know?

You boys are hilarious.....   like a pair of beagles looking for a bone.  ;D  ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[