Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder  (Read 44977 times)

MoeJKU

Re: Changing the regs for the Chilliwack/Vedder
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »

I don't think that any reg changes will help out at all. Its the fact that people don't read the regs, or rules.  Yes maybe a size thing would help, but even then i talked to a guy that thought salmon were salmon and didn't know there were different salmon out there.
I would say a course or program like the C.O.R.E would be better. May be extreme but you know what people may actually learn something about the fish they are catching, methods, and etiquette.
Yes there will always be boneheads but it limits them.
 get you licence and you have to renew ever few years, and if you have poaching or bad etiquette on your angler number, then you don't get the chance to fish for a while until you prove that you are suitable to be on the water

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »

Funny, it was you who mentioned that tidbit about "Chinese snaggers" and got called out on it by other members here. I suppose you could not have just said "Snaggers..." without the ethnic focus, eh?

Why not? Why not the ethnic focus? You afraid of it?
Suppressing the ethnic element is what builds racism and xenophobia. Just look back into our very own Canadian history and the attempts at assimilating our very own First Nations.

Oh an you mention my "good looks"? That's my wife's territory haha. I didn't think you looked at me that way as I'm a guy but whatever floats your boat Milo lol.
It was a humorous jab, but since you completely lack a sense of humour you didn't get it. "Far exceeds your good looks" means there is not really much to look at. But I agree, it is your wife's territory. My boat floats straight, thank you very much.

And glad you admitted at least your prejudice against former Yugoslavians. It's not easy to admit that sort of thing but perhaps in time you will chill out and look at everyone as Canadians first - not their ethnic background.

My frustration (NOT prejudice) is based on the fact that most of them cannot and will not see themselves as Canadians first. They left their land for a better life and now they complain about the land that has provided them with a safe haven and an opportunity to live a decent life and bring up their kids in peace and relative prosperity. But they only socialize in their own little secluded communities and worship the same gods they worshipped at home and look down at some of us who chose a different path (like marrying an Anglo-Saxon woman, for example). To all such people I say: "Go back where you came from and don't let the door kick you in the butt."
But what irks me the most is they continue to use fishing and hunting methods they practiced in the old country even though they know they are FORBIDDEN in Canada.

Milo: I bash any fisherman who disregards the resource regardless of their ethnicity, but I am especially vitriolic about those who come from my old country."
I say what I mean and mean what I say. You can keep quoting me for as long and as often as you want - at least I am quotable.  ;D
Trying to belittle my feelings about my former country is another story altogether. Just try to picture a man whose mother's people engaged in a bloody civil war against his father's people at a time when everybody had to choose a side. It is some tough $hit to overcome, but I think I did. I dislike everybody equally.  ;D

Perhaps you should fish more and post less?
This coming from someone who posts almost as much as I do? ::)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:00:23 PM by milo »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2013, 05:00:04 PM »

Let's get this show back on the road.
I would say a course or program like the C.O.R.E would be better. May be extreme but you know what people may actually learn something about the fish they are catching, methods, and etiquette.
 get you licence and you have to renew ever few years, and if you have poaching or bad etiquette on your angler number, then you don't get the chance to fish for a while until you prove that you are suitable to be on the water

I think that is an excellent idea, Moe.  :) A CORE-like program (and exam) as a pre-requisite to get your fishing license.
- You can't tell a coho from a spring? Sorry, try again next year.
- You don't speak English? There is plenty of free English classes sponsored by our Government. Learn the language and come back next year.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2013, 06:35:20 PM »

Not a bad idea to keep the meat fishers and all the bagage/garbage that comes with it to the lower river Milo. Yesterday some clown with a tackle box tried to keep a wild coho when there was fewer witnesses around. I took his picture and recorded his car license plate etc. To his should I say credit he put the dieing fish back in the river. Said something to the effect of "you one of those people who not like keeping wild fish".
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

I dislike everybody equally.  ;D

Best line I've read all day. Thanks Milo, wonderful  :) ;D :)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »

Funny, it was you who mentioned that tidbit about "Chinese snaggers" and got called out on it by other members here. I suppose you could not have just said "Snaggers..." without the ethnic focus, eh?

Oh an you mention my "good looks"? That's my wife's territory haha. I didn't think you looked at me that way as I'm a guy but whatever floats your boat MIlo lol.

And glad you admitted at least your prejudice against former Yugoslavians. It's not easy to admit that sort of thing but perhaps in time you will chill out and look at everyone as Canadians first - not their ethnic background. Perhaps you should fish more and post less?

""Milo: I bash any fisherman who disregards the resource regardless of their ethnicity, but I am especially vitriolic about those who come from my old country.""

Sounds to me like you have a problem with Milo why not take that to PM and actually contribute something to this thread.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »

So milo what sort of leader length do you propose?

Don't know, JC...does one meter (three feet) sound reasonable?

I know that restricting leader length cannot regulate intent, but we need to start somewhere.

So if I am fishing just a spinner or a spoon attached directly to my line... which I like to do how will that `fit`in such a restrictionÉ

Frankly leader restrictions are unworkable. If they were there would have been one by now.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:32 AM »

Seems to me the biggest problem is money for funding enforcement.I am going to go out on a limb and propose something.Many of us remember the upper river above the hatchery being open,selectively years gone by.There is also a cry for fly fishing only as well as catch and release water on the river.So that those who prefer a return to the more idyllic experience of angling can enjoy same.Here goes.Make the section of the river above the hatchery classified waters.With the funds raised going to increased patrols.Possibly fly fishing only up to the army muster area.All of this with extra fees.All catch and release.Solve some of the confrontations and put the spotlight on the rule breakers.My two cents.
Riverman

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2013, 09:32:24 AM »

Seems to me the biggest problem is money for funding enforcement.I am going to go out on a limb and propose something.Many of us remember the upper river above the hatchery being open,selectively years gone by.There is also a cry for fly fishing only as well as catch and release water on the river.So that those who prefer a return to the more idyllic experience of angling can enjoy same.Here goes.Make the section of the river above the hatchery classified waters.With the funds raised going to increased patrols.Possibly fly fishing only up to the army muster area.All of this with extra fees.All catch and release.Solve some of the confrontations and put the spotlight on the rule breakers.My two cents.

Genius.
I can't see a flaw in this suggestion. It's a win-win situation. :)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »

Could work but that also creates more water to patrol which kind of defeats the increase in enforcement.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »

Sounds like a win-win Riverman. The area is closed anyway, may as well allow some people to savour its splendour. Good idea !!!

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2013, 07:19:04 PM »

A little history on the upper chilliwack
It was opened in about 1973. The idea was to reduce the number of so called resident rainbows that were competing with sthd. smolts. It turned into quite a poaching problem with people killing large numbers of smolts and using bait, which was banned.
Again in the early 1980's a proposal to open it up to fly fishing only catch and release was summitted by the regional biologist. At that time a sample of 40 trout were taken from the upper river, 39 were males and the one female was small enough to be a pre-smolt. It was at that time that the realization of how important those male hold backs were to the spawning success of the Sthd. population.
I believe the only reason we have a relatively healthy population of wild Sthd. is because of the upper river and its habitat although the more gravel we take from the bottom the more will wash down from the top. The upper river should be left alone. It's not a win win to open it, it's a win for some anglers and a lose for the river.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2013, 09:40:59 PM »

A little history on the upper chilliwack
It was opened in about 1973. The idea was to reduce the number of so called resident rainbows that were competing with sthd. smolts. It turned into quite a poaching problem with people killing large numbers of smolts and using bait, which was banned.
Again in the early 1980's a proposal to open it up to fly fishing only catch and release was summitted by the regional biologist. At that time a sample of 40 trout were taken from the upper river, 39 were males and the one female was small enough to be a pre-smolt. It was at that time that the realization of how important those male hold backs were to the spawning success of the Sthd. population.
I believe the only reason we have a relatively healthy population of wild Sthd. is because of the upper river and its habitat although the more gravel we take from the bottom the more will wash down from the top. The upper river should be left alone. It's not a win win to open it, it's a win for some anglers and a lose for the river.
Totally agree with that Steve.
 I and others on this forum have observed and documented, here on FWR, rainbow trout alongside spawning steelhead during our annual spring enumerations.  The system is near pristine, has very limited access, and with the recent and more to come gravel additions by DFO and a planned long term nutrient enrichment program this upper river area will be the driver of wild steelhead and early run coho production for years to come.  Pinks, chum, char and whitefish will also benefit. This upper river is far to valuable to play around with for some limited angling opportunities; think fish and let's not screw this up. - keep it closed.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2013, 05:12:57 AM »

So if I am fishing just a spinner or a spoon attached directly to my line... which I like to do how will that `fit`in such a restrictionÉ

Frankly leader restrictions are unworkable. If they were there would have been one by now.

I would think you "leader length" would be considered 0" then.  If you were to attach a spitshot or two above the spinner them the "leader length" would be the distance between the two, even though it is not a separate piece.
Not all those who wander are lost

Sage2106

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »

I say jack the price of a license up to like 300.00 it would weed out a lot of the problem and put the extra money into enforcement. If you love to fish who cares if it costs you a couple bucks a day to fish no difference than if you buy a coffee everyday.