Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78686 times)

Lunk Louie

Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #465 on: September 11, 2022, 01:55:13 PM »

copy from the other site....

"Just watched a great segment on the Salmon Poaching we've been discussing/bitching about this week and every year for decades on Global News Noon Hour....finally an expose of the ineptness of the DFO in this in regard to this ongoing major issue.....kudos to Jesse Zeman for this....hope this is at least a start to and end but not holding my breath 🤞

Maybe someone can post a link to that segment ....I didn't find it ???"

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....

roeman

« Reply #467 on: September 11, 2022, 03:49:36 PM »

No gov't agency will ever stand up to the FN for this. 
TAKE, TAKE, TAKE......
Is all they do.
No matter how much they get, they will always want more.... and the next year more again...
The dump site found in the bush are only a fraction of what is actually dumped. 
Are you fishin or catchin

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #468 on: September 11, 2022, 04:30:51 PM »

Went out on Saturday and while we were on the north side of the fires, it was apocalyptic.  CN Police and RCMP were out in force.  Got 1 in 4 hours.  Back is sore from all the casting. If they weren't so tasty, I wouldn't go, I detest this type of fishing.  Small waves of fish kept it sort of interesting?  Not sure it's worth the drive from Langley.

Lots of bad fish handling and poor identification still goes on...  Doesn't everyone read this site?  ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #469 on: September 11, 2022, 04:34:00 PM »

Lots of bad fish handling and poor identification still goes on...  Doesn't everyone read this site?  ;)

I've always been told that it is the ones who read this site are doing the bad fish handling... ;)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #470 on: September 11, 2022, 07:28:40 PM »

Do I feel like a champ? No I feel like a Canadian citizen giving the opportunity to share in the bounty of a natural resource that belongs to all Canadians equally imo.  Very thankful for this opportunity to provide fresh sockeye to my family. Not much difference then standing shoulder to shoulder using a long leader with a bead attached flossing coho out of a lower river stack hole on the Vedder. I observe this as an onlooker every fall when out for a walk on the rotary trail. No one seems to complain about that.

Then why brag about it on two separate posts?  This snaggery is just a harvest and not sportsfishing.  Should I brag about how many Beets I picked out of my community garden?  I have no problem with people going out and harvesting their two if they chose to and going home but discussing this on a sportsfishing forum is pointless to me.  And btw, over a decade ago I did partake in this when the runs were way healthier.  What stopped me was witnessing the greed and poor ethics and how it infected the other fisheries in the fall as well. 

And btw you are dead wrong about no one complaining about flossing or snagging on the Vedder.  It gets talked about all the time.  Maybe not on this forum but certainly elsewhere.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #471 on: September 11, 2022, 07:59:34 PM »

I've always been told that it is the ones who read this site are doing the bad fish handling... ;)

🤣  Ok that's a good one!

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #472 on: September 11, 2022, 09:32:19 PM »

Should I brag about how many Beets I picked out of my community garden?

You've obviously never visited r/gardening :P

Here's an actual post from today in the subreddit.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Sockeye Dumping
« Reply #473 on: September 12, 2022, 08:06:42 AM »

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

1son

« Reply #474 on: September 12, 2022, 08:45:43 AM »

Does anyone know where I can just buy a few sockeye locally

Dubs604

« Reply #475 on: September 12, 2022, 10:06:49 AM »

Does anyone know where I can just buy a few sockeye locally

PM'd you about a really positive experience I had this past weekend buying from a local commercial fishing family. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #476 on: September 12, 2022, 11:36:11 AM »

Another dump this morning in Chilliwack.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #477 on: September 12, 2022, 11:44:39 AM »

Rodney your efforts are appreciated and I'm sure it's time consuming and draining.  Thanks for keeping it up.

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #478 on: September 12, 2022, 11:55:10 AM »

So tidal is open for sockeye but not out in the ocean ? Shady island must be a gong show.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #479 on: September 12, 2022, 12:05:50 PM »

Rodney your efforts are appreciated and I'm sure it's time consuming and draining.  Thanks for keeping it up.

Thanks. I'll C&P what I wrote on Facebook to accompany this photo here.

Another day, another dump of precious sockeye salmon. If you come across them and send photos to me, please include a date and location. You should also file a report with ORR at 1-800-465-4336 or DFO.ORR-ONS.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca at the same time. I'm only sharing some of the photos or videos received, but rest assured that all of them are being compiled into something that will hopefully put an end to this unnecessary waste. I'm glad to see since the video I released a couple of weeks ago, this story has not lost momentum. Thanks to Jesse Zeman from BC Wildlife Federation, it has made it into more news platforms on recent days.

Global BC:
https://globalnews.ca/video/9121261/thousands-of-illegal-sockeye-being-dumped-near-fraser-river/

The Vancouver Sun:
https://vancouversun.com/business/signs-of-sockeye-salmon-poaching-abound-though-fraser-river-remains-off-limits

iNFOnews Penticton:
https://infotel.ca/newsitem/sockeye-being-caught-sold-illegally-before-reaching-kamloops/it93943

Someone has been suggesting on my discussion forum that by spreading this across numerous news platforms, it makes it seem like the problem is bigger than it actually is. I call that BS. The reality is that we don't know the extent of this problem, and the goal of spreading the word is to deter people from buying fish illegally and cut down the demand. It's also a reminder to Fisheries and Oceans Canada and Minister Joyce Murray that support is desperately needed for our enforcement officers. I don't want to be talking about this again in the coming summers, I'd rather be sharing good fishing experiences, but this has to stop if we still want good fishing experiences in the future. I also have had conversations with various First Nation members who are just as frustrated and baffled by this. Once again, it is in every single Canadian's best interest to weed out the few bad apples who are stealing our fish so we can focus on what's more important, which is collaborations to restore and enhance our salmon populations.