Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 77565 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

CohoJake

• Old Timer
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 10:13:47 AM »

With 2 of the 3 biggest components returning to spawn above the big bar slide, I wonder what this will mean for management. It won't do the fishery any good to have hundreds of thousands (or millions) of fish perish while stacked up at the slide, but getting enough past the slide is certainly more important than harvest for any group.

Chum Slayer

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 11:22:31 AM »

I haven't fished for salmon for a long time however, it seems to me that the Fraser River is half of what it used to be. I was talking to my friend's dad the other day and he told me that they use to be able to barfish for summer run chinook on the Fraser in June. Now the only places you can fish for summer chinook in rivers is the Chilliwack and Chehalis river, which turn into absolute gong shows during the last week of July and the first week of August.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 08:21:06 PM »

With 2 of the 3 biggest components returning to spawn above the big bar slide, I wonder what this will mean for management. It won't do the fishery any good to have hundreds of thousands (or millions) of fish perish while stacked up at the slide, but getting enough past the slide is certainly more important than harvest for any group.

Both Quesnel and Chilco stocks migrate later in the summer and water levels at Big Bar should not be a problem for them in a normal flow year. Even with this years higher water they should be able to migrate by at that time of the year. Big Bar is more of a problem for stocks like early Stuart, Bowron and Nadina.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 12:29:20 PM »

I haven't fished for salmon for a long time however, it seems to me that the Fraser River is half of what it used to be. I was talking to my friend's dad the other day and he told me that they use to be able to barfish for summer run chinook on the Fraser in June. Now the only places you can fish for summer chinook in rivers is the Chilliwack and Chehalis river, which turn into absolute gong shows during the last week of July and the first week of August.

Yes , those were the days , that's for sure .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 01:25:02 PM »

Where can I buy some wire leaders and bouncing Bettie’s?  :o

stsfisher

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 01:50:20 PM »

Sure miss those days spent on the bar waiting for the bell to ring. Now the only bell ringing at the bar is last call

Chum Slayer

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 01:56:08 PM »

it would be nice if they stocked the Fraser River with spring chinook from the Columbia river so that we could have a fishery during the spring and early summer. At least one of the many hatcheries in the Fraser valley could pump out some early spring run chinook.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 03:37:40 PM »

Gill Rd. Bar late August back in the day . Pretty quiet . Fishing was strong . Hooked several Red Springs at that spot . See what the future holds . 
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 10:06:17 AM »

Not sockeye related (bar fishing is a pretty decent way to selectively fish chinook while avoiding sockeye ;) ) but the bar fishing pictures did get me missing those summer mornings/days out on a Fraser bar waiting for a spring to ring the bell. Unfortunately seems like so long ago and not sure if we'll have the chance again

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 06:58:05 PM »

Almost 10 million estimated for this year.

13 million in 2018.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 07:07:27 PM »

I don't expect an opening in the Fraser above Mission as it's too close to the IFS and IF coho window.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Old Blue

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2022, 09:38:15 PM »

I hope it stays closed in the Fraser, let them do their thing and hopefully in another 4 years we truly have a good run.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 09:34:05 AM »

I don't expect an opening in the Fraser above Mission as it's too close to the IFS and IF coho window.

Id imagine its going to open mid-late august as the summer run is predicted to be the largest component.  Who knows tho

There will be first nation commercial fisheries above mission if the numbers are their so i see no reason not to open it for rec fishing.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 09:35:53 AM by wildmanyeah »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 10:01:51 AM »

Almost 10 million estimated for this year.

13 million in 2018.

11,032,000 in 2018 and if you recall there over fished the late component by a significant margin.  total catch 5,330,290 in 2018