Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 84171 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #450 on: September 10, 2022, 10:27:07 PM »

A jack sockeye on August 29?

luckily they don't record "Jills"
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #451 on: September 11, 2022, 03:00:15 AM »

Par for the course. And apparently the definition of 'mouth' also mysteriously becomes quite subjective during this time.  whatever it is about sockeye, apparently really does bring out the worst behavior.

I do notice that in sockeye years, there is specifically an increase of flossing and BBs brought directly to other systems immediately afterwards. Maybe sockeye are a gateway into salmon fishing for some newer participants or whatever, but the more experienced anglers who participate in this fishery better not be complaining if the same technique proliferates everywhere later this season. If legalized snagging is what you want, then it shouldn't be surprising if that's what you get

Nope just wanted to see a saltwater opening where they actually bite. I have never seen a river opening only. IT is a real farce to see tidal open but not in an area fish can even be caught without having to snag them. Meanwhile seine boats are allowed to have at them. Dfo really messed this year up never seen anything like it.
Ya I will complain when the Betty's and 10 ft leader show up on the trips. Not ethical! Not practical!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 03:01:55 AM by mikeyman »

BMo86

« Reply #452 on: September 11, 2022, 07:52:32 AM »

Darko if you ever wanna try out the vedder again, anytime since there's salmon in there now. Shoot me a message and I'll meet up with you and help you get a fish. Cheers

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #453 on: September 11, 2022, 08:03:54 AM »

And hey Darko, dont let this stupid fishery get you down, just stay away from it and let the wiseguys if the world feel like a champ for ten days
Do I feel like a champ? No I feel like a Canadian citizen giving the opportunity to share in the bounty of a natural resource that belongs to all Canadians equally imo.  Very thankful for this opportunity to provide fresh sockeye to my family. Not much difference then standing shoulder to shoulder using a long leader with a bead attached flossing coho out of a lower river stack hole on the Vedder. I observe this as an onlooker every fall when out for a walk on the rotary trail. No one seems to complain about that.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:48:56 AM by Wiseguy »

sumasriver

« Reply #454 on: September 11, 2022, 09:51:11 AM »

Not much difference then standing shoulder to shoulder using a long leader with a bead attached flossing coho out of a lower river stack hole on the Vedder. I observe this as an onlooker every fall. No one seems to complain about that.

This sockeye opening only encourages unethical fishing techniques that are then transferred to fall coho fishery.   Snagging in the head and then quickly yarding up hooked fish up on  the shore as quickly as possible..  Combat fishing with hordes too close together casting over each other. Disturbing to watch and i want no part of it.   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:52:50 AM by sumasriver »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #456 on: September 11, 2022, 11:08:10 AM »

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/sockeye-being-caught-sold-illegally-before-reaching-kamloops/it93943

just a rehash of the BCWF on line article that was posted previously plus there was another direct copy of the BCWF article posted after that... three times, the same article. Does that mean the problem has grown 3 times in magnitude since the original article was published? Don't think so!
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #457 on: September 11, 2022, 11:16:04 AM »

Looks like the lates are starting to enter the river in okay numbers should build now every day till the closure.

Fishing should only improve over the next week
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 11:18:26 AM by wildmanyeah »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #458 on: September 11, 2022, 11:25:41 AM »

just got a call from relatives on #1 east of Hope. It has been closed from Annis Road east of Chilliwack to flood Road near Hope  both east and west due to the wildfire near Hope. Traffic is being diverted to Hwy 9 and or 7 . no indication how long this will last. Expect a traffic mess up there is you plan to go fishing.

ratfish

« Reply #459 on: September 11, 2022, 11:53:14 AM »

Thanks Ralph,

My parents live their and have health issues. I may need to get them out of their if it gets worse.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #460 on: September 11, 2022, 12:04:53 PM »

Well that wildfire is classified as being out of control due to the steep terrain.Hopefully they can hold it back from getting closer to farms and structures. To me if you don't have to travel in that area stay away and let the firefighters do their job.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #461 on: September 11, 2022, 12:10:13 PM »

Dear Friends:

What to do about Salmon Poaching on the Fraser River.

Rather than just posting on this webpage, or similar Facebook pages I suggest you email DFO with cc to your MP (see https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/search?province=BC) and Joyce Murray the Ministry of Fisheries @ min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca demanding immediate action be taken to deal with the situation.

While DFO may claim it lacks the resources to deal with it, the RCMP and the Provincial Conservation Officer Service are also able to deal with crimes of this nature.

Griping about it on line achieves nothing. Ditto for endless reposting of the same news story.

Here is a copy of whati have sent to Minister, DFO and my MP

Currently there is great concern among people familiar with the Fraser River about the poaching of sockeye salmon and illegal salmon sales in the area from Chilliwack BC into the Fraser Canyon from Hope BC to Lytton. As you may be aware the return of sockeye this year is much lower than expected. However it has thankfully been possible to provide a generous legal catch to First Nations peoples and even provide for a modest commercial and recreational fishery.

However despite the low return there seems to be little or no enforcement of illegal poaching of sockeye. Some people and organizations such as the British Columbia Wildlife Federation have suggested the loss of fish could be in the tens of thousands!

I urge all of you to ensure immediate action is taken to curtail these actions. I urge that whatever resources are available such as the RCMP and the Provincial Conservation Services be employed to make this happen immediately.

Thank you for considering my suggestions.

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #462 on: September 11, 2022, 12:18:09 PM »

Dear Friends:

What to do about Salmon Poaching on the Fraser River.

Rather than just posting on this webpage, or similar Facebook pages I suggest you email DFO with cc to your MP (see https://www.ourcommons.ca/members/en/search?province=BC) and Joyce Murray the Ministry of Fisheries @ min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca demanding immediate action be taken to deal with the situation.

While DFO may claim it lacks the resources to deal with it, the RCMP and the Provincial Conservation Officer Service are also able to deal with crimes of this nature.

Griping about it on line achieves nothing. Ditto for endless reposting of the same news story.

Here is a copy of whati have sent to Minister, DFO and my MP

Currently there is great concern among people familiar with the Fraser River about the poaching of sockeye salmon and illegal salmon sales in the area from Chilliwack BC into the Fraser Canyon from Hope BC to Lytton. As you may be aware the return of sockeye this year is much lower than expected. However it has thankfully been possible to provide a generous legal catch to First Nations peoples and even provide for a modest commercial and recreational fishery.

However despite the low return there seems to be little or no enforcement of illegal poaching of sockeye. Some people and organizations such as the British Columbia Wildlife Federation have suggested the loss of fish could be in the tens of thousands!

I urge all of you to ensure immediate action is taken to curtail these actions. I urge that whatever resources are available such as the RCMP and the Provincial Conservation Services be employed to make this happen immediately.

Thank you for considering my suggestions.
I'll do this aswell.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

4x4

« Reply #463 on: September 11, 2022, 12:27:44 PM »

Not just Salmon being poached.
Sturgeon also. My buddies found a 9'10" Sturgeon around the Billy Minor Pub 2 weeks ago.
4 slits for the eggs. The fish also had a rope tied around it's tail. Very frustrating and sad.

If you want to see a pic of the fish and more of the story I put it on Instagram under dennisb59.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 01:05:30 PM by 4x4 »

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #464 on: September 11, 2022, 12:54:05 PM »

Let’s not forget the past. 
https://www.abbynews.com/news/illegal-trade-in-native-caught-salmon-rampant-dfo/

And that’s a low return . The black markets aren’t just single people buying . Lots of fish crossing borders too .
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 12:57:43 PM by GENERAL-SHERMAN »