Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78692 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #255 on: September 01, 2022, 07:26:56 AM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/news/british-columbia/no-one-followed-the-bc-black-market-salmon/article625576/

trying reading the entire discussion as this topic was already brought up. FWIW there was not proof that the events in the article took place or a crime was committed.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #256 on: September 01, 2022, 07:48:52 AM »

Not taking sides on this but for what it's worth years ago I have personally seen on several different occasions, several piles of rotting sox in the Harrison/Chehalis reserve areas (north side of the river) where some run their boats out of.....so if one is of the belief that this practice is not widespread at the very least then they need to get their head out of the sand...Rod's observation is highly unlikely an isolated incidence and you can take that to the bank.....that said maybe they should be able to sell roadside, legally????...you know, more competition equals lower prices since there is no recreational.....I think there would be a huge market regardless of potential risks, just don't make sushi

since you quoted me as part of your post I will respond.

I did not claim such dumping did or does not take place. I have seen the photos which get posted every summer and create considerable outrage on line particularly

Rather the point i have tried to make is the excessive concern expressed by some members of the angling community has at least some of the characteristics of a  known phenomena, a Moral Panic. Some of these characteristics are:

a known group or person which allegedly poses a specific threat to societal values and interests

while the issues that pose the threat may be real they and the threat itself are grossly exaggerated.

Classic examples of moral panic includes the Satanic Panic of the 80s and 90s when over 12,000 people, most often child care workers were investigated for alleged abuse of children during "Satanic Rituals". Virtually none of these allegations were substantiated. Other's include the War on Drugs, the Red Scare of the 1950s and the current so called White Replacement theory.

Anyone who wants to know more, and I sure many of you don't, there is lots of information on line.

I pointed out that food waste is endemic in Canada and I provided sources of which there are many more.. The actual threat posed by salmon dumping beyond damage to moral sensibilities, hasn't been made clear.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 07:50:29 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

coastangler

« Reply #257 on: September 01, 2022, 10:00:18 AM »

They have similar sized bags of "wild pink salmon" for $18.  "Product of China" on the back, which I found interesting.

I get those from time to time for certain recipes and the quality is not bad. My understanding is that this is also Alaskan salmon but processed in China. Crazy world that we live in, where is cheaper to catch a fish in Alaska, process it in China and sell it back in North America than just doing it all here.
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

mikeyman

« Reply #258 on: September 01, 2022, 12:09:42 PM »

since you quoted me as part of your post I will respond.

I did not claim such dumping did or does not take place. I have seen the photos which get posted every summer and create considerable outrage on line particularly

Rather the point i have tried to make is the excessive concern expressed by some members of the angling community has at least some of the characteristics of a  known phenomena, a Moral Panic. Some of these characteristics are:

a known group or person which allegedly poses a specific threat to societal values and interests

while the issues that pose the threat may be real they and the threat itself are grossly exaggerated.

Classic examples of moral panic includes the Satanic Panic of the 80s and 90s when over 12,000 people, most often child care workers were investigated for alleged abuse of children during "Satanic Rituals". Virtually none of these allegations were substantiated. Other's include the War on Drugs, the Red Scare of the 1950s and the current so called White Replacement theory.

Anyone who wants to know more, and I sure many of you don't, there is lots of information on line.

I pointed out that food waste is endemic in Canada and I provided sources of which there are many more.. The actual threat posed by salmon dumping beyond damage to moral sensibilities, hasn't been made clear.

What a load of cupcakes. I can't believe the people on here that have no actual clue of how many salmon actually get taken in the fsc fishery reported and Un reported.  Literally millions of salmon taken in Gill nets. Along with sturgeon  kill and steelhead. To even suggest this issue is not a big deal or over exaggerated is insulting. You obviously are either blind, ignorant or you support it because you have something  to gain by it.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #259 on: September 01, 2022, 01:12:37 PM »

You obviously are either blind, ignorant or you support it because you have something  to gain by it.

Or maybe he truly cares for the fish and the FN people, rather than the two daily quota of flossed sockeyes?
While you are at it,  what else can we blame the FN for, climate change, the flood from last year.....
It ain't the roe bro'

mikeyman

« Reply #260 on: September 01, 2022, 01:37:52 PM »

Or maybe he truly cares for the fish and the FN people, rather than the two daily quota of flossed sockeyes?
While you are at it,  what else can we blame the FN for, climate change, the flood from last year.....

That is even more ridiculous of a response. There is a slight difference between a few flossed sockeye and what is truly going on. Point proven on the ignorance.

Tylsie

« Reply #261 on: September 01, 2022, 01:48:38 PM »

Interesting response. Who has flossed 2 sockeye legally in the last couple of years? Ok; now who has literally taken and killed millions of sockeye, killed unknown thousands of sturgeon, steelhead, and other fish while illegally selling thousands of those sockeye over those last few years? That isn't including the thousands of fish that have been dumped because of "freezers" breaking down?

I support FN FSC as it was intended. I even support FN in river commercial openings. I have no problem not flossing for a few sockeye. But when scientific reports are being altered or covered by up in the interest of preserving those select openings I do have a problem. The courts have ruled there  is one thing that trumps anyone's access and that is CONSERVATION! If the fish aren't there then they aren't there and shouldn't be caught. If the numbers tolerate a minimal catch then that catch should be kept minimal. And if there is an over catch then yes, they should be allowed to be sold for that year and the allowable catch should be lowered the following years.

I am not aware of any other industry or group that is allowed to error made to the side of greater harm. On the contrary it is always to error on the side of caution. So I will ask, with courts having ruled already why does the government consistently error on the side of over consumption instead of the conservation when it comes to salmon?

fisherforever

« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2022, 03:03:21 PM »

“So I will ask, with courts having ruled already why does the government consistently error on the side of over consumption instead of the conservation when it comes to salmon?“  Answer $$$$

Roderick

« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2022, 03:37:12 PM »

We wouldn't want to under-exploit our resource...  The "F" in DFO references the commercial fishery and the idea has always been to fully exploit the resource.  We sporties are an afterthought allocated a mere 5% of the "commercial" TAC.  By shifting the commercial fishery to the FN (called "economic"), the "commercial" TAC becomes zero and 5% of zero is zero. 

The problem is not that there aren't enough fish for a rec opening, it's that we rec fisherman are lumped together with the non-FN fleet.  It's a policy that needs to be changed IMO considering the loss of GDP that a rec closure brings, vs. the number of fish we take.
You shoulda been here yesterday.

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2022, 03:42:27 PM »

Enough is enough! Time to shut down the FN gill net sockeye, Chinook, coho, sturgeon slaughter on the Fraser river NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

4x4

« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2022, 04:01:16 PM »

Enough is enough! Time to shut down the FN gill net sockeye, Chinook, coho, sturgeon slaughter on the Fraser river NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot Chum.

mikeyman

« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2022, 04:42:04 PM »

100 percent agree. Conservation 1st. If one group fishes then all groups fish. None of this 1 group gets it all cupcakes. They don't own the damn fish.  If it gets shut down for conservation concerns then nobody freakin fishes!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 04:43:38 PM by mikeyman »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2022, 05:37:38 PM »

it may feel great to say this but it wont make a difference. The only thing that could make a change is if somebody of influence whether fame or monetary cared for the resource as much as us. I have never got the sentiment that any of the upper level management fishes themselves or give a damn outside of work. They likely do it only because of the high pay I assume they have. The only way individuals like us can make a change is if we get enough people to group up and fight for the cause, which there likely isnt enough of us to do.
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2022, 05:40:15 PM »

There are many other foods we can eat to keep us healthy and our stomachs full. I think natural resources should have way stricter laws and more enforcement for rule breakers. If you like fish you should have to catch your own just like deer. I do think there should be individual commercial fisherman and FN fishing and selling but not industrially or how it is done by big companies. Big companies have no right to the resources that belongs to us all. Just my take
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

canucksfan233

« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2022, 07:33:58 PM »

Unfortunately, will never be like that since fishing brings in so much money for some countries.