Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78679 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2022, 06:13:12 PM »

we are not being used but access to fish & game is being used to meet the Truth & Reconciliation agenda of the federal government.
There is no cost to them for giving away access to fish & game. Urban dwellers don't know what's happening and will continue to vote Liberal. Access to Fish & Game will be severely curtailed in the next few years. It's already happened in the hard to get at places. Look how the central coast is closed to fishing crab to everyone except First Nations. You can't hop on a boat in Bella Coola head out into the saltwater and toss a trap down.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0UobuGc76PYLsWKrCBgtHu4CAWMaJSFJeVqnjP9kZtRq1NzoMzTwrhHu5Cd8zwbL9l&id=517420090

For anyone wondering what the protest is about, the sports fishing boat 'the Parry' has been operating in Heiltsuk Territory all summer and for many, many years. The HIRMD Reached out to the owner of the operation to sign a protocol agreement with the Heiltsuk, which is standard practice for any third-party doing business in Heiltsuk Territory.

The owner of the Parry Has declined to enter into a relationship with the tribe, so members of our elected council, hereditary Chiefs, and membership at large have barricaded the boat, 'the Parry' Inside Dundavin Inlet with gillnets and boats until the owner signs an agreement and stops the disrespectful behaviour that they have shown to our people.

Nobody is going to stand up for our title and rights except us!! We will no longer sit on the sidelines and be pushed around by privileged business owners in our own Territory. Taking things into our own hands. Come support us out there Heiltsuk.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:14:47 PM by wildmanyeah »

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2022, 07:15:46 PM »

Anybody have any fishing reports from Lillooet
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

Darko

• Old Timer
« Reply #197 on: August 29, 2022, 07:15:55 PM »

Anybody have any fishing reports from Lillooet?
if you ain't fishin, you ain't livin

redside1

« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2022, 09:10:01 PM »

Check out Pemberton fish finder guiding. Brad Knowles is the owner/operator. Limited out the family of 5 or 6 pretty quickly. Fish look in decent shape

redside1

« Reply #199 on: August 29, 2022, 09:15:19 PM »

How do you figure we are not being used? Lol. Who buys licenses? Who pays taxes? Who doesn't get access to the fisheries anymore? We are not being used? Give your head a shake! Who invested 30 grand in a boat? Gear. Consuming. Supporting tourism I can go on. Where does the money come from?
I could see Canadians having enough this next go around. Don't count your chickens bud. I never thought I would change my mind.

We are not being used, you don’t have to buy anything and the federal government doesn’t care about sports fishing because we are not enough votes.
DFO is running a hidden agenda and sports fishing for anything they manage is over for all but one group.
Hope you can change it though. I have seen enough of it over the last 50 years to doubt anyone can change any part of it.
Good luck

mikeyman

« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2022, 08:06:02 AM »

We are not being used, you don’t have to buy anything and the federal government doesn’t care about sports fishing because we are not enough votes.
DFO is running a hidden agenda and sports fishing for anything they manage is over for all but one group.
Hope you can change it though. I have seen enough of it over the last 50 years to doubt anyone can change any part of it.
Good luck

So the optics of saying the dfo has taken action to save the salmon and the killer whales by shutting the rec anglers down for most of the year is not a way to use one group to appease the others. Closing down a good section of the fraser mouth permanently for a whale feeding area? While there is a major shipping lane there and the whales get chased around and harassed everyday anyways? Draconian closures while Gill nets are in the fraser killing the very fish we are shut down to protect? All the while we dump money into the economy and paying our taxes. Buying liscences to not have access to the fishery for line and reel in selective  fisheries vs non discriminate Gill netting. Ya you are right not being used at all. A few real nieve people on here with passive opinions. But hey that's your right.
Comes down to politics first. Science and conservation last if at all. Damn rights we are being ignored and used.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2022, 08:20:05 AM »

the closure of the banana and other areas in the southern Strait of Georgia is directly due to plummeting returns of Chinook to the Fraser in the spring and summer. Some scientists think the low numbers of salmon are causing a problem for SRKWs which feed heavily on those fish. Most major marine traffic in the Strait also has to adhere to reduced speed limits to reduce noise that may cause problems for marine mammals. I personally saw the Coast Guard chase down a Polish fish boat that exceeded the speed near Little River.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2022, 08:34:12 AM »

the closure of the banana and other areas in the southern Strait of Georgia is directly due to plummeting returns of Chinook to the Fraser in the spring and summer. Some scientists think the low numbers of salmon are causing a problem for SRKWs which feed heavily on those fish. Most major marine traffic in the Strait also has to adhere to reduced speed limits to reduce noise that may cause problems for marine mammals. I personally saw the Coast Guard chase down a Polish fish boat that exceeded the speed near Little River.

So Ralph answer this one...why is the rec anglers shut down to save Fraser River salmon when 99 percent of the fish caught upto the summer peak months are not Fraser bound stocks most being healthy US bound fish all the while there are chinook Gill net openings all through the entire closure. What Salmon are the dfo shutting the rec fishery down to save again? Please some objective facts would be nice the fraser stocks are low from the main cause...the damn Gill nets.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 08:44:48 AM by mikeyman »

redside1

« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2022, 08:47:00 AM »

So the optics of saying the dfo has taken action to save the salmon and the killer whales by shutting the rec anglers down for most of the year is not a way to use one group to appease the others. Closing down a good section of the fraser mouth permanently for a whale feeding area? While there is a major shipping lane there and the whales get chased around and harassed everyday anyways? Draconian closures while Gill nets are in the fraser killing the very fish we are shut down to protect? All the while we dump money into the economy and paying our taxes. Buying liscences to not have access to the fishery for line and reel in selective  fisheries vs non discriminate Gill netting. Ya you are right not being used at all. A few real nieve people on here with passive opinions. But hey that's your right.
Comes down to politics first. Science and conservation last if at all. Damn rights we are being ignored and used.

I really don't think your are being used at all, but instead screwed. Once again anyone that buys a license to fish a place that is already closed isn't getting it. No one should buy any license until they know the fishery that they want to fish will be open otherwise it's self inflicted pain.
Gill nets in the Fraser we only have our forefathers to blame. They forced them upon First Nations so that's the new tradition.

It does come down to politics first and always will. DFO is a joke and one can look in many different directions and see great failures and down outright lying and deceit by DFO.
Do you really think salmon have a chance when looking locally at squamish chinooks. Shut down in 1978 for retention and 44 years later they have never rebuilt/recovered the run.  Toss in the local SFAB trying to get Howe sound opened for some hatchery retention and DFO outright lies why they will not allow it to happen. Coming up with a different story every meeting on why to keep it closed even after their own data shows it's no big deal to allow it to happen.
The mouth of Fraser srkw closure is a joke. The whales show up there sometime in September 1 or 2 times a year for 3-4 hours and it's closed. the whales being harassed and chased down will be the transient population due to different rules for different whales. Still don't agree with it.

I sold my saltwater salmon boat many years ago because I thought i could see the writing on the wall that what we now have (almost nothing) was coming. 

Dubs604

« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2022, 08:48:37 AM »

Another strong day of hydroacoustic numbers yesterday. Over 200,000.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2022, 09:01:20 AM »

So Ralph answer this one...why is the rec anglers shut down to save Fraser River salmon when 99 percent of the fish caught upto the summer peak months are not Fraser bound stocks most being healthy US bound fish all the while there are chinook Gill net openings all through the entire closure. What Salmon are the dfo shutting the rec fishery down to save again? Please some objective facts would be nice the fraser stocks are low from the main cause...the damn Gill nets.

For a start I am not an expert. Neither are you. I am not sure of your numbers but generally the data collected by anglers confirm the fact most fish are from south of here. It's likely always been that way. The short answer from DFO and other scientists is those early runs are so low that a total closure is needed to get fish into the river. According to Canadian Law FN people also get first shot at what can be harvested. Anglers come last. This is a fact and has been since DFO and the Federal government was stupid enough to force all this through the courts right up to the Supreme Court rather than negotiate something more sensible with FN. Same thing happened in Washington, Oregon & California. Scared the bejeesus out of the Sport and Commercial sectors who pressured the Feds to go to court. That was almost 40 years ago. JT had nothing to do with it. The deal the US states got with their Natives these days since, while the Natives there get a better share, sports and commercial people still get a chance to fish ... if there are enough fish. this BS wouldn't be going on if the Feds had offered the FNs something based on the Boldt precedent in Washington state.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

mikeyman

« Reply #206 on: August 30, 2022, 09:15:43 AM »

I really don't think your are being used at all, but instead screwed. Once again anyone that buys a license to fish a place that is already closed isn't getting it. No one should buy any license until they know the fishery that they want to fish will be open otherwise it's self inflicted pain.
Gill nets in the Fraser we only have our forefathers to blame. They forced them upon First Nations so that's the new tradition.

It does come down to politics first and always will. DFO is a joke and one can look in many different directions and see great failures and down outright lying and deceit by DFO.
Do you really think salmon have a chance when looking locally at squamish chinooks. Shut down in 1978 for retention and 44 years later they have never rebuilt/recovered the run.  Toss in the local SFAB trying to get Howe sound opened for some hatchery retention and DFO outright lies why they will not allow it to happen. Coming up with a different story every meeting on why to keep it closed even after their own data shows it's no big deal to allow it to happen.
The mouth of Fraser srkw closure is a joke. The whales show up there sometime in September 1 or 2 times a year for 3-4 hours and it's closed. the whales being harassed and chased down will be the transient population due to different rules for different whales. Still don't agree with it.

I sold my saltwater salmon boat many years ago because I thought i could see the writing on the wall that what we now have (almost nothing) was coming.

Being used
It means one person is taking excessively while the other is making all the sacrifices

Screwed over..
To cheat someone, or ruin their chances in a game or other situation.

Hmmmm sounds pretty close. Agree but split hairs over a statement.  I don't get the argument 🤷.

Both definitely fit what is happening to the rec sector.
Why argue with that if you are a sport fisherman.  The facts are there. We still can't fish for a few sockeye or even a hatchery spring. Go take a look at all those fish getting loaded up and sold and dumped. Sickening.

coastangler

« Reply #207 on: August 30, 2022, 10:48:58 AM »

I think topics are getting mixed up here. The fact that a very small percentage of FN harvesters may be breaking the rules has nothing to do with the constitutional right that FNs has towards fisheries. We have to remember that in Canada, FNs sit, if not above, at least at the same level as the federal government. You may like this or not but this is what it is and there is nothing that you or even politicians can do about this. I'm an immigrant and I learned this long time ago and personally I'm fine with it that's why I'm never annoyed at these decisions. There are plenty of  fishing opportunities in BC with retention open if that's really what you want.

"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

mikeyman

« Reply #208 on: August 30, 2022, 10:51:47 AM »

I think topics are getting mixed up here. The fact that a very small percentage of FN harvesters may be breaking the rules has nothing to do with the constitutional right that FNs has towards fisheries. We have to remember that in Canada, FNs sit, if not above, at least at the same level as the federal government. You may like this or not but this is what it is and there is nothing that you or even politicians can do about this. I'm an immigrant and I learned this long time ago and personally I'm fine with it that's why I'm never annoyed at these decisions. There are plenty of  fishing opportunities in BC with retention open if that's really what you want.

Then go buy your sockeye on the side of the road bud. Hopefully you don't get mushy ones.

coastangler

« Reply #209 on: August 30, 2022, 10:55:16 AM »

Then go buy your sockeye on the side of the road bud. Hopefully you don't get mushy ones.

I actually buy Sockeye fillets at Costco. Good value and hopefully a reputable source. For other species I either catch it myself or if my terrible angling skills don't deliver, I use https://tidetotable.ca - locally sourced and good quality fish. Highly recommended!
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary