Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates  (Read 78723 times)

redside1

Re: 2022 Fraser River Sockeye Salmon Updates
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2022, 09:27:25 AM »

I've sent emails to a few of the current Craigslist postings.  For some reason when you ask about the legal status of the fish, they stop responding.   ::)

Whether they're an actual person trying to sell excess fish, or they're a DFO agent on a sting operation, I can't say for sure.

I have asked the same questions on Facebook when I see sockeye for sale. I am immediately block. All sellers I ask are of indigenous decent.
DFO is either overwhelmed by the volume or turning a blind eye imo.

redside1

« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2022, 09:31:20 AM »

how is the condition of the fish at that point in the river

They are only two weeks older than Chilliwack caught fish and still good. Saw a bunch of sockeye on the Thompson at Ashcroft recently and they were very nice looking fish.

redside1

« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2022, 09:42:25 AM »

They have committed to one, it’s closed to non native Canadians.

It’s a sham to call it an FSC fishery at this point

FSC now stands for Food, Social & Commercial. The ceremonial word left weeks ago.

I have zero issue with First Nations food fishing but with there being approximately 200,000 indigenous people in all of BC
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Choose-B-C/Explore-British-Columbia/B-C-First-Nations-Indigenous-People
 How many fish can one eat? 400,000 plus sockeye out of the Fraser so far, how many more thousands from the skeena & somass river systems? Then add on the Chinook, coho, pink, and chum salmon that have and will be caught province wide and either a pile of fsc fish are sold or they are wasted.
Catch all the food social and ceremonial fish one wants, just be open about where they are truly going and what’s happening to them.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2022, 10:24:04 AM »

I have asked the same questions on Facebook when I see sockeye for sale. I am immediately block. All sellers I ask are of indigenous decent.
DFO is either overwhelmed by the volume or turning a blind eye imo.

I just checked on Facebook market place and there were no adverts for sockeye salmon for sale within 100 km of where I live which is in the middle of the GVRD. As I said above checking on Craigslist over the last week I never once saw more than 7 or 8 for the LM FV area.

DFO may well be ignoring these complaints because it's isn't that widespread an issue and is being greatly exaggerated.

BTW if people think this is illegal they should report it to DFO and to Craigslist and or Facebook. Tell them selling FSC salmon is illegal and that ads should be removed.

I know FNs sell salmon from FSC fisheries. Mostly it gets done through personal networks. It's been going on for generations and there is a huge amount of hypocrisy about this is the non FN community. I have in laws who have lived in Chilliwack for a very long time. Some will gone on about the FNs privileged and their abuse of their food fishing right yet when I mention fishing for sockeye or any salmon they just say they can buy all the salmon they need from 'their friends on the rez' ... go figure.

All sellers I ask are of indigenous decent.

At least they are nice people.  :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:27:05 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Dubs604

« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2022, 10:45:07 AM »

BTW if people think this is illegal they should report it to DFO and to Craigslist and or Facebook. Tell them selling FSC salmon is illegal and that ads should be removed.

Where I come from, snitches get stitches. ;)  All kidding aside, though, it’s not my business what other folks are doing. Who knows what their situation is.

To be honest, if there were a legal way to buy from FN folks, I’d almost certainly do that.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2022, 10:56:55 AM »

how is the condition of the fish at that point in the river

they will red or dark but still tasty. Big issue you would have is where to fish & catching fish. I have heard from people who fished the canyon back in the day to get away from crowds such as at the Scale Bar. They couldn't find places to "properly" floss. Everywhere was too deep, too fast or snaggy. Maybe try calling a sport shop up there. 
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redside1

« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2022, 01:46:42 PM »

I just checked on Facebook market place and there were no adverts for sockeye salmon for sale within 100 km of where I live which is in the middle of the GVRD. As I said above checking on Craigslist over the last week I never once saw more than 7 or 8 for the LM FV area.

DFO may well be ignoring these complaints because it's isn't that widespread an issue and is being greatly exaggerated.

I know FNs sell salmon from FSC fisheries. Mostly it gets done through personal networks. It's been going on for generations and there is a huge amount of hypocrisy about this is the non FN community. I have in laws who have lived in Chilliwack for a very long time. Some will gone on about the FNs privileged and their abuse of their food fishing right yet when I mention fishing for sockeye or any salmon they just say they can buy all the salmon they need from 'their friends on the rez' ... go figure.

At least they are nice people.  :D

Looking in the wrong places on Facebook. I didn’t look on marketplace but the regional  community groups that the sellers are on. If you don’t belong you don’t see.

Never said they are not nice people.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2022, 03:01:03 PM »

Looking in the wrong places on Facebook. I didn’t look on marketplace but the regional  community groups that the sellers are on. If you don’t belong you don’t see.

sorry you spelled descent as in I am descended from my grandfather as decent as in respectable or having solid values. It was a small joke.

Thanks for clarifying where you are seeing these sockeye ads - feel free to notify Facebook or the group administrators if you are so concerned!

Have a nice day

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2022, 04:15:06 PM »

Early this week, I was invited to attend Sumas First Nation's salmon ceremony.

It really was an honour to be there. These opportunities give me a chance to learn more about traditional fishing values and their importance to the community.

Yesterday I was standing in the bush near Hope photographing a pile of dead sockeye salmon. New video tomorrow about it btw.

Two very different outcomes. There are goods and bads. The bads need to be pointed out and dealt with, but don't paint the entire group of people based on the behaviours of a few bad individuals. We also need to recognize the goods from each other, it's in our best interest to do so.

mikeyman

« Reply #159 on: August 27, 2022, 08:55:41 PM »

Early this week, I was invited to attend Sumas First Nation's salmon ceremony.

It really was an honour to be there. These opportunities give me a chance to learn more about traditional fishing values and their importance to the community.

Yesterday I was standing in the bush near Hope photographing a pile of dead sockeye salmon. New video tomorrow about it btw.

Two very different outcomes. There are goods and bads. The bads need to be pointed out and dealt with, but don't paint the entire group of people based on the behaviours of a few bad individuals. We also need to recognize the goods from each other, it's in our best interest to do so.

I used to take this view before Rod. But enough is enough. It isn't just a few bad apples. If they truly cared then they wouldn't allow this crap to continue or atleast acknowledge it and combat it. Us recreational fisherman have been screwed over for to long. Let's talk about the chinook. We have been shut down all way to September 1st to protect the chinook? Yet we watch Gill nets in the river while we remain closed. 400000 sockeye reported so far by one group which we know is way less than the actual catch. Then zero for the other? Sorry man its to far gone to take a diplomatic approach. Liberal voter is turning conservative.  Time to bring the fairness back to the fishery. Time for some enforcement.  Funny in the end conservatives will probably bring cuts to dfo and not be anywhere close to the the libs on reconciliation.  So keep pissing everyone off. Lots to lose isn't there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 09:00:58 PM by mikeyman »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

coastangler

« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2022, 07:16:19 AM »

Thanks for sharing Rod. The video is heartbreaking

Fully agree with the sentiment of not blaming an entire group for the actions of a few. To me that video is no different from those of our peers that snag and retain chum from the Stave (seen with my own eyes last year and reported to DFO btw) or those that use treble hooks at the Capilano or the Vedder which unfortunately is not an uncommon occurrence as I keep pulling out trebles and unbarbed hooks every year from snags at both of the systems at certain pools.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 07:43:50 AM by coastangler »
"It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.”
Sir Edmund Hillary

mikeyman

« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2022, 08:49:55 AM »

Sorry totally disagree. These issues stem from the leadership down. If the chiefs and the delegates at the table truly gave a damn they would implement thier own rules and laws around ceremonial fishing. Illigal sales of salmon and then enforce it. The realty is this is what they fight for and want. The right to all the salmon for themselves and to do with it as they please. The main agenda selling it in an illigal commercial fishery. Call it what it is instead of hiding it.

What ambassador of the land would allow a million salmon to be taken from the river in indiscriminate Gill nets when dfo is saying the numbers are low? Meanwhile sit back and watch the dump sights of rotting salmon pile up. Along with the sick pictures of rouge Gill nets being left behind to kill anything and everything juvenile sturgeon to boot.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 09:45:12 AM by mikeyman »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2022, 09:19:35 AM »

I joined a few of these buy/sell groups, had a look and some other open community buy/sell groups. Going back 3 to 4 week there are few to no sockeye for sale adverts, certainly less than on Craigslist.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 04:11:34 PM by RalphH »

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2022, 09:21:41 AM »

What ambassador of the land would allow a million salmon to be taken from the river in indiscriminate Gill nets when dfo is staring the numbers are low? Meanwhile sit back and watch the dump sights of rotting salmon pile up. Along with the sick pictures of rouge Gill nets being left behind to kill anything and everything juvenile sturgeon to boot.

what BS. The total number of sockeye to date is a fraction of that number.