Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buntzen Lake  (Read 12300 times)

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
Buntzen Lake
« on: February 07, 2006, 06:49:40 PM »

Has anybody tried Buntzen lake since November?

If yes, how was the fishing and what technique did you use? Where is a good spot?

Ciao

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
Re: Buntzen Lake
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 07:23:43 PM »

Hello I live about 5 minutes from buntzen. Fish it quit often. About 2 weeks ago I pulled a nice 11-13 inch rainbow trolling. If you are fishing from shore try using floating power eggs with a 3-4 foot leader and 1/2 ounce weight. That always works. Or use the originall bobber and worm. In the summer you will catch lots of squas using that technique. If in boat troll flies (they arent to pickie...anything will work..leaches, spratleys ect). Try trolling in front of the island or way at the other side of the lake.
weeeeeeeeeow!

RainbowMan

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 08:50:43 PM »

Thanks a lot.

No, I don't have a boat. The last time I fished from the dock but I just pulled a rainbow after two hours :-[ :-\

Is the north-east shore a better spot?

Ciao,

RainbowMan

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:23:40 PM »

Thanks a lot.

No, I don't have a boat. The last time I fished from the dock but I just pulled a rainbow after two hours :-[ :-\

Is the north-east shore a better spot?

Ciao,

RainbowMan

I haven't been to Buntzen in 2 or 3 years... if you catch anything, post it :)

if your intrested, I have an inflatable kayak for sale :) http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=9750.0

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 12:20:10 AM »

I have to say though that fishing is rather slow this time of year. April is when it starts to really pick up. Anyway, good luck if you decide to give it a go.
weeeeeeeeeow!

huntwriter

• Othmar Vohringer Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 10:06:23 PM »

Hello I live about 5 minutes from buntzen. Fish it quit often. About 2 weeks ago I pulled a nice 11-13 inch rainbow trolling. If you are fishing from shore try using floating power eggs with a 3-4 foot leader and 1/2 ounce weight. That always works. Or use the originall bobber and worm. In the summer you will catch lots of squas using that technique. If in boat troll flies (they arent to pickie...anything will work..leaches, spratleys ect). Try trolling in front of the island or way at the other side of the lake.

Hey Roe Kid, haven't been here in a while. After the initial information I got on this boards I had a lot of catching up to do and came to the conclusion that I would like to start my first BC fishing trip on the Butzen lake.

As I have seen the lake is quit large and thus where would you recomend that I should start looking for a decent spot on that lake? I fish from the shore and with spinning gear.

Thanks for any advice you could give me.

Othmar Vohringer - Smart Hunting Strategies (SHS)
http://www.othmarvohringer.com/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 10:18:23 PM »

Huntwriter:

Buntzen Lake, like most Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley Lakes are stocked several times per year with "catchable" rainbow trout (range between 10 and 14 inches in length) by the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery. The stockings generally take place between March and September when the weather is warmer, therefore fishing tends to be slower in the winter months in these lakes. Each stocking, depending on the size of the lake, ranges between 500 to 2000 fish.

In the past, we've had success fishing the eastern shoreline of the lake from a boat. There are several access points along that side of the lake where you can fish from if you do not have a boat. Three methods can be used to target these rainbow trout:

• Bottom fish with a suspending bait. Simply cast it out, tighten the line and wait.
  • Float fish with a piece of bait such as roe, shrimp, PowerBait. Simply cast out, wait and watch the float.
  • Spincast with small spinners and spoons (1/8oz).

There are also lakes that are closer to you with good shore access as well. Mill Lake in Abbotsford is one. The lake tends to be warmer than others so maybe fish would be more willing to bite. You can fish from shore just about anywhere on this lake.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 12:48:53 AM »

HW in the same area as Buntzen is Sasamat Lake (also stocked) Sasamat has a floating bridge that goes across the bottem end of the lake, where all the fishermen sit. I've seen people out on Sasamat in the fall and winter, dunno if anyone catches anything in the winter tho. Other than trout and crayfish I dont know what else is in Sasamat.

huntwriter

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 01:16:32 AM »

Rodney and Reservoir Dog - Thanks a lot for your valued advice it is much appreciated. I let you know how it went when I come back from my trip. ;D

RainbowMan

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 11:58:46 PM »

I tried Buntzen yesterday. It was very slow. Nobody could catch anything.
I did float fishing and used shrimp.

I also tried Sasamat with the same bait and just pulled a 10 ft rainbow. Very slow fishing condition there.

Reservoir Dog

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 12:33:25 AM »

I also tried Sasamat with the same bait and just pulled a 10 ft rainbow. Very slow fishing condition there.

COOOL I aint ever seen a TEN FT Rainbow before. Do you have pictures of it :lol: Guiness Book of Records might wanna chat with you :)

huntwriter

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 08:58:02 AM »

:o 10 ft  Rainbow :o That's sure one for the record books. ;D

As the weather gets a bit warmer now the fishing might pick up a bit. I'll let you know when I come back from Butzen Lakes how it went.

Can't wait to see a photo of that 10 ft Rainbow, I am a sucker for big trophy fish. ;D

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 10:11:08 AM »

what size hooks were you using to catch a trout that size ? ??? ??? ???

RainbowMan

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2006, 10:28:40 AM »

Hello everybody,

I really appologize for this. I meant 10 inch.  :-\ :( I was meaning it's been a waste of time fishing there  :'(

I'm sure you'll accept my apology for this. I'm a metric person!

Cheers,

RainbowMan

RainbowMan

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2006, 10:40:05 AM »

Just to let you know:

Lafarge Lake (Behind coquitlam centre) is much better than Buntzen. A friend of mine caught two rainbows and one bull head yesterday evening. Nice fishing condition and easier access.

Ciao,

RainbowMan