Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: chehalis gravel/placer mine proposal.  (Read 9280 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
chehalis gravel/placer mine proposal.
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:32:22 AM »

unfortunatly the last thread had to be shut down due to it turning into a personal slagging match and arguements over a geological term.
was wondering if any one had heard any further news. I'm not intrested in debate. just what progress has been made ? who's involved ? has a map of the proposed area been found ?
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Addicted To Steel

Re: chehalis gravel/placer mine proposal.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 11:38:05 PM »

Several groups are concerned and involved at some level so far; they include: The SFAC(Sportsfishing Advisory Committee), SFAB(Sportsfishing Advisory Board) SFDA(Sportfishing Defense Alliance), BCWF(British Columbia Wildlife Federation, SCBC(Securities Commision of British Columbia), as well as other branches of these groups. I am sure the list will grow as things progress.
We have not formed an official Lobby group as of yet, because several groups are seeking information about the proposals at the moment. Because of this forum, and forum members, we were able to enlighten a large group of concerned people, groups, and organizations about this gravel/gold extraction development proposal.
It has been suggested that I start, and lead the lobby group by some concerned people, but for now what I am doing is helping these said groups with there investigation and information gathering.
There are some very knowledgable, and experienced people in these said groups/organizations who would be much more qualified than I to lead the Lobby.
I have and still will be in contact with these groups about the proposal, and I will continue to post information with regards to it's progress as long as this thread is allowed to continue. If we can keep this thread as an informative one about this proposal, and not debate it by using slander, mis quotes, falsehoods, and useless arguing, then I am pretty confident we can keep it running responsibly.

As for the maps of the area in question; I have requested an official one from two branches of government involved with this proposal a week ago. I have a couple of Chehalis maps, but they are not official for this proposed area. I hope I will get a response early next week about the maps, as well as some questions I have put forth which originated from an email I received from a member of the SFAB.

When I receive new information It will be posted.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »

Good work ATS. Please keep us informed as things progress. We can not afford to have another of our rivers damaged.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 10:23:41 AM »

well done ATS.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

fishman

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 07:24:28 PM »

good its nice to see the thread continuing.  Maybe without the name calling and the hysteria.

unless of course more attempts are made to stifle the facts.

Was out at the chehalis today and landed a nice 12 lb wild steelhead in the lower river. Also got pictures of Coho still swimming in back channels pools that are slowly drying up despite the rain.

fishman

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 12:11:43 PM »

News release on project posted on stockwatch

MOSQUITO COMMENCES WORK ON MAJOR AGGREGATE DEPOSIT IN LOWER MAINLAND

The board of directors of Mosquito Consolidated Gold Mines Ltd. confirms that work has commenced on the Statlu Creek aggregate project located near Mission, B.C. The work initially consists of seismic profiling to determine thicknesses of materials and depths to bedrock; this will be followed by drilling of holes to determine the quantity and quality of the sand and gravel. At the same time, discussions are continuing with various interested groups to determine and detail the current problems that are taking place within the Chehalis River basin.

It is Mosquito's intention to be part of a solution for this major river system not a problem. The Statlu Creek gravel property is located well back from the Chehalis River at an elevation ranging from 75 to 250 metres above and up to 1.5 kilometres back from the river. A large buffer zone will be created between the gravel mining operation and the river. In fact the gravel pits, drainage channels, silt traps and associated water management system will become part of an overall plan to reverse and solve some of the problems currently affecting the Chehalis River system. The overall effect will be a cleaner river with increased fish habitat and continuing flood control.

Management wishes to clear up some confusion regarding the groups that expressed support for the project. All groups have insisted the Mosquito complete a full environmental impact study and go through all requirements by the various groups and agencies to ensure the project meets or betters current regulations and requirements.

The groups to date comprise:

The Chehalis Indian Band

The band has indicated that it will provide support by supplying labour for the project; identifying the areas where dangerous top loading of the surface is occurring (this causes slides into the river, destroying fish habitat); and provide information on various studies done by the band, outlining the problems created by the steady influx of sand and gravel into the river. They see the project as part of a solution and overall management strategy rather than a problem. British Columbia Forest Services are providing their support in the way of maps and reports outlying the history, types of vegetation and trees that cover the area. Since the area of the Statlu project has no old growth forest, as it is mostly covered by clear cut completed over the last 40 to 50 years, the service has expressed that they see no major hurdles to the project provided the project meets all environmental conditions.

The Fraser River Regional District are providing their support for the project by supplying information regarding several studies already done on the Chehalis River system below Chehalis Lake showing several major problems effecting the entire system. They would be pleased to see Mosquito become part of a solution to the identified problems which are slowly killing this river.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans is providing information to the project on the current status and problems in the river system and on fish habitat, and methods of improving and adding to existing fish habitat.

Already identified problems consist of sand and gravel runoff into the river, scouring of the canyon-area spawning beds, low summer flows causing higher water temperatures thus stressing the fish population. It is Mosquito's intention to have the department provide information and advice in the development of both the surface-water runoff and groundwater control and protection systems, and the solving of existing fish habitat problems, and the construction of additional habitat.

Finally, it should be noted that Mosquito intends to pursue this major project in an environmentally sensitive manner providing solutions rather than creating problems. The end result will be products that can be labelled environmentally friendly and thus command a greater share of the current and future markets.

Shaun M. Dykes, MSc (Eng), PGeo, director of Mosquito, is the designated qualified person on Mosquito's project and prepared the technical information contained in this news release.

Interesting to say the least!!!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 12:18:40 PM »

Link please.
Actions speak louder than words.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »

Posting these for ATS and Chris:

Here is copy of the FVRD's staff report in response to the investigative permit referral for the Statlu Creek proposal. These two documents contain maps, which show an approximate area. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/060124-1.pdf
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/file/060124-2.pdf

Proposed Placier Designation, Chehalis River Valley

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/pic/060124-1.gif
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/pic/060124-2.gif
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/pic/060124-3.gif
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/pic/060124-4.gif

The above are gif files. Best to download them onto your computer and magnify them to view in your image viewer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 12:45:34 PM by Rodney »

fishman

Addicted To Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 02:36:06 PM »

Fishman, are you Shaun Dykes? If so, perhaps you can answer some technical questions for me regarding this company news release.

Nostro

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 03:17:12 PM »

Thanks for the update and information, Ats and Rodney. It is extremely important that we stay on top of this development.
It makes me suspicious that the news release quoting the board of directors claims support from various groups such as the BC Forest Service, Fraser River (?- they mean"Valley") Regional District and DFO. The news release is very misleading. When one reads the additional documentation Rodney posted, these organizations are co-operating by providing information, which they are duty bound to do. Just because information is readily made available upon request, that does not mean that the said organization is in "support" of the works.
BC Mininstry of Agriculture and Lands provided a 1 year investigation permit, and that is all. This does not mean that they are supporting the proposal. The Fraser Valley Regional District simply did "not object to the small scale exploration activities associated with the proposed investigative use permit" referred to above. This does not mean that they are supporting the proposal.
When an organization is grasping for support by misrepresenting the facts, you wonder why. The saving grace is that all "groups" have insisted that Mosquito complete a full environmental impact study. It is extremely important that we stay on top of this and inform all federal, provincial and regional district departments of our interest. I would expect that there will be a public hearing about the environmental report. We need to be at that hearing in large numbers and be very vocal.
Again ATS and all, thanks for all the hard work in compiling the information. Please let us know when and what the rest of us may be able to do to help.
Never look a fish in the eye.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 03:31:46 PM »

bit rusty with this stuff and therefore was wondering
who has the final say with an enviromental review? a company may produce a review and concerned groups may produce a review.who reviews the reviews??and decides should a project go forward ?
public hearings are called by whom ?

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 07:47:21 PM »

fishman,

Just wondering why you wouldn't have tubed that wild fish for the hatchery if you're part of the brood capture program? ???  By the way, great work on this so far ATS and Chris.
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

fishman

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 08:01:11 AM »

where I hooked it was a long way from the hatchery and there was no way to bring it safely back.  I'd have to carry back well over a mile of ground with little or no water. and the hatchery cant get their truck close enough either. Its a good fishing hole and we usually get fish there, but I've talked with the hatchery several times and there's no current way to get a fish back or go and get it in this particular area.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 01:00:40 PM »

Seeing as you ignored ATS's question last time, I'll ask you again.

Fishman, are you Shaun Dykes? If so, perhaps you can answer some technical questions for me regarding this company news release.
Actions speak louder than words.