Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Re: lesson learned at chehalis nov.03  (Read 20093 times)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: lesson learned at chehalis nov.03
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »

10-4 FA, read ya loud and clear!!! ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 09:38:59 PM by Big Steel »
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

mark

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 09:36:03 PM »

Well we all have something in common guys. We all like to fish. ;D :D ;) :)

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 09:38:17 PM »

Well I see that you removed your post and changed another one, so, no I am not trying to start something with you.  I just think that you could have handled the criticism better.  Just loosen up a bit, why do you care what people think of how you fish or what you fish with?????  You know that you are not doing anything wrong by using bigger hooks, then try not to let people get to you so much !!!! ;D ;D  I have a hard time letting things go as well sometimes, but there is no use making yourself look like a hothead over what really, when you think about it amounts to nothing!!  I think that maybe we should hit the chehalis this weekend and show them all how it is done!!!!! ;D ;D

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 10:08:29 PM »

After this thread, sounds like the 200 2/0 eagle claws I havent touched for 3 years (because I bought bulk gammi's) should be going in the buy n sell here ASAP!  ;) 

Big Steel

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 10:25:17 PM »

Well Gooey, if this rain keeps up, and the water stays high and colored I might take you up on that!!!!! ;D ;D

golfnut23

• fins and skins!
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 11:02:05 PM »

Just stepped out for dinner, and come home to see all the replies but i see ive started a debate, sorry to all you members i just wanted to share my experiences, lets all forget about this post.
My hands smell like fish again.............

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 11:11:47 PM »

Golfnut, there is absolutely nothing you need to be sorry about. Your enthusiasm reflects what fishing is all about, some just get rather emotionally unstable because others are catching fish while they are going through a drought season. ;) Like I said, people need to relax. Keep them coming!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2005, 12:22:39 AM »

For me all I can say is.... What are you guys complaining about !?! At least your hooking onto coho!?!
For me it's still fat 0. ;D ;D ;D

JiG_Head

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2005, 03:27:09 AM »

must be you , sice your last post you hooked 40 coho in one day and cant land any yet ,

lol your so mean :P
the shyt talker.

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 08:13:45 AM »

ha ha ha this is funny.....hooks shmooks ..as long as theres no barb and your catching not snagging fish ;D
weeeeeeeeeow!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 10:15:04 AM »

And who says that there is no good fishing in Alberta  ;D
Actions speak louder than words.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 10:29:47 AM »

i've fished for coho in the chehalis all the time with wool eggs on 2/0 eagle claws. seen hundreds use 2/0 as well. been very successful with the 2/0 size in the chehalis,vedder as well as dewdney slough. they are the maximum size i will use and they sure come in handy when a big spring, chum or early winter steelhead decide to chomp on your coho offering.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 12:10:57 PM »

that's all cool when it comes to preference in hook size. For float fishing I generally use a #2 for wool and similar sized offerings and if it's real clear a #4. For rubber worms, gooey bobs or small tied egg sacks I use a #1. If I'm using roe or prawns/ghost shrimp i go to a #1/0, all Gamakatsu , black, barbed but pinched, I don't like the new barbless gammi's shape, they havn't worked well for me.
for those who use the bigger hooks as a multi purpose hook, to each his own, but on those days when the fish are not biting well, try downsizing both leader diameter/strength and hooksize. It makes a difference believe me. I have Very rarely seen a flaw with black gammies and having been using them for over 15 years, 4 years of eagle claws and then i smartened up hehehe. But use what's in you budget, they will all catch fish.
As an example, I am looking at a picture on my wall beside me of a 42lbs fresh chilliwack white spring, caught in the upper river. the set up was 15 lbs mainline, 2ft x 8lbs maxima ultragreen leader and a #2 gammi with a small chunk of roe and white wool. This fish was landed in the run accross the river from "the slab" on the upper river, 100 or so yards down river of the hatchery or limit hole, fished from the back side. That is faster flow in there and it was a real challenge but the fish came to hand on this set up and I trust it 100% for nearly 100% of my coho and steelhead fishing.
not trying to convince anyone thier methods are wrong, just relating my experience, and I ain't changin a thing  8)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 01:00:27 PM »

Use anything you want as long as the regs permit it . It is all personal preference . I allways over rig there is nothing worse than losing that trophy to your hook straightening or your line breaking trust me i know .

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005, 01:52:12 PM »

always fishin nailed it...on days when fish are finicky it often is in your favour to go with a more subtle presentation.  Maybe winter steel can remember/confirm, on one of the sport fishing bc episodes, Dave Murphy talk about how 8lb leader can straighten a #4 gami, 10lb leader (maxima) will straighten a #2 etc.

Match the hook and line to the conditions and target for optimal results! 

With that, I shall post a report on my trip today!